Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2017

Sweetie table? Yay or No Way!!

LuxuriousIvoryDiamonds550, 23 of March of 2017 at 21:45 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone. What's your thoughts on a sweetie table? At the beginning of planning I was all for it and bought the jars and bags and made a little sign etc but the closer we get to our wedding the more I'm thinking of not having one. H2B still wants it but I just think there is going to be too much food. We're not doing canapes after the ceremony as they was just too expensive per head but we go in for our wedding breakfast at 3pm where a 3 course meal is to be served and we're hoping to cut the cake to be served also at some point. Then the package we chose at our venue also comes with an evening buffet so I'm thinking do we really need a sweet table?!? Have any of the weddings you've been to had a sweet table and was it popular? The other thing changing my mind is when my H2b's sister got married she had a candy cart, honestly I never saw it and didn't know she even had one but she said the only thing she would of changed about their day was the sweet cart as no one touched it! Any advice/opinions?!?

12 replies

Latest activity by Bacchant, 1 of April of 2017 at 15:24
  • Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

Every wedding I have been to in the last 8 years or so have had one and they have been really popular. They always run out of sweets, they can look really effective.

We aren't having one.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps the difference is, candy cart - which is not small and takes up space and has to be put somewhere, sometimes even somewhere that has power for its lights which in your H2bs Sisters case seems like it was put out of the way a little.

But a sweetie table may not take up as much room and can be put in full view also as a table is more DIY than a cart then you may have more control over how much you put out, or you could do what one of my wedding couples had done and just had the sweets that matched the colour scheme and that way you may add more impact and is a good way of reducing the amount.

• S
    Beginner October 2017
    Stackhead ·
    • Hide content

A massive yay from me. At the last few weddings I've been to the sweets have kept me going til the end as I e needed the sugar rush to keep dancing :-)

• S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

We're having one. We love sweets and when I've seen them they're popular. We're having an evening buffet but sweets are just a snack.

We're doing ours ourselves because we felt with the carts we were paying for that rather than the important sweetie goodness part. I imagine it'll go next to the buffet so as everyone is filling up on sandwiches and potato wedges they'll know to save room for sweets.

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

We're having a sweet cart, my H2B has a sweet tooth. Saw the idea at a wedding fair and thought he would love it, and its actually been a nice way to get him more involved in the planning!!

We are going for canapes before and evening buffet as well as the 3 course meal and cake, many of our guests are vultures when it comes to food so it will definitely get eaten (if H2B doesnt get in there first).

We also aren't having favours, so we are going to allow people to take cake and sweets home x

• B
    Beginner May 2018
    BlossomKatie1993 ·
    • Hide content

I deffo think its a great little extra for the guests and it also looks pretty as you can match the colours to your theme! I have been to a couple of weddings that had sweets - they were very popular with the guests including me! Most people fancy something sweet and light after the buffet, which is normally just savoury stuff. I'm hiring a sweety cart for my wedding Smiley smile x

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

My hubby loves sweets so we had one. We did it our self's, I made sure there was lots to choose from and got the sweets when they were on offer so didn't cost much, I set it up next to our bake off and desert table.

It was so popular with everyone, infact it wasn't meant to be "open" untill after our day buffet but my bridesmaid came up to me at the start of the reception to ask if she could start opening up the tubes as it was killing the kids, I was about to say no when I looked over to 20 little hopeful faces staring at me all stood in front of the sweet table, it was so cute I let them dig in.

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticBrownCakes683 ·
    • Hide content

The sweetie buffet we did was one of the most popular things at our event.

and as the bride who couldnt eat much during the day it was so nice to have a few sweeties.

• L
    Beginner July 2017
    LuxuriousIvoryDiamonds550 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm not panicking so much now at the thought of loads of sweets being left. Even if there was it wouldn't of been the end of the world I suppose as we're making it ourselves so the sweets can cost as much or as little as we like, it's just I'm one of those that hates waste and feel like I have to eat everything that gets left ? I didn't want to have to come home with a tonne of sweets to eat honestly ? I'm really surprised to actually discover all of yours was so popular after all and that everyone really enjoyed the sweets! H2B was also pleased as he wanted us to still do a sweet table even with my worries and seeing all the positive replies means my mind is now at rest and he gets to keep his wish of a sweet table!! ?

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about there being sweets leftover, we didn't have many leftover.

Our venue provided a candy buffet for £50.

We had canapes, three course meal, tea and coffee, wedding cake, evening buffet - and people were still constantly up at the candy buffet all night!

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Thought I would comment on this one because we're usually one of the last suppliers to leave the wedding venue...

The sweetie table is still enjoyed by all so far as we see at weddings....both carts & the table variety.

Personalised bags & even sweets are a nice touch- personalised love hearts anyone???! Smiley winking

There's mostly not much left at the end of the night...apart from cherry lips!

James

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

We are doing one - we both have sweet tooths, and think they are a great way to keep people going in the evening. We have no children coming to our wedding, so it'll all be adults on sugar highs! I know it's a little late now, but we bought a load of selection boxes when they were on offer over Christmas and have used those to fill some of the jars. We are doing all individually wrapped sweets (except flying saucers which are OH's favourite!), just to save on people dipping sticky fingers!

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

We're not having one, but only because we went for ice cream instead!

I think they're cute, and I love the ones which are colour matched to the wedding colours, it just looks so very fancy! I think whether it gets used depends a lot on the position. At a friends wedding it was hoovered up quick as it was by the door to the bar. Wearas my sister had loads of sweets leftover as it was tucked in the back end of the room away from the bar/dancefloor. So as long as it's a high traffic area it'll be well used!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics