Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2011

Swelling in feet, legs & hands?

SuperSpud, 19 March, 2013 at 09:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 34

I know this isn't a medical forum, but I need a bit of backup with H.

Last night he came home from work and asked if I'd ever seen anything like this - and he showed me both his lower legs/calf/shins which were swollen, the skin was tight and a bit shiney. H said his legs "felt funny - like they're made of lead, dead heavy" Now, the only time I've ever see something like that was my Granddad, who was bedbound, and the doctor said it was Oedema. In the hour or so of him being home, his thighs also swelled (I'm not talking incredible hulk proportions but my H is very skinny so it's kind of noticable)

H didn't want to go to the doctors, he wanted to weigh himself (don't ask) so I took him up to my parents as we don't have any scales in the house. At my Mum's his ankles were normal, with just the swelling in his shins/calf & thighs. In the 10mins it took us to get home, his both ankles swelled up. When he was getting undressed for bed, I noticed some swelling on his right side/back.

This morning, his hands are slightly swollen - I made him take his wedding ring off just in case it continued and to save it being cut off. He struggled to remove his ring, which is unusual as it's normally loose on his finger.

H thinks I'm making a fuss over nothing and "it will go away". I want to get him to a doctor as the sudden onset has scared me but H is resisting as he's worried he might have to have time off work and "we're really busy at the minute". H smokes and his granddad had heart trouble so that's kind of in the back of my mind and worrying me really. H said his granddad's legs were often swollen.

Ladies (& gent) of Hitched - help me convince him he needs to see someone!

34 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 21 March, 2013 at 08:34
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I would get him to a doctor. This is not normal. That doesn't mean it's serious. But it's not something I'd 'wait and see' with.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I would have taken him straight to A&E. No idea what it could be, but I'd rather know.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, H thinks I'm fussing.

Argh!! I emailed him to say basically "you're going to see someone tonight" and he's replied: "The thing is if it eases off we may not to. Besides I need to work on something tonight for a report, I want to try and get student data as postcodes onto google maps" I'll bloody google map him, he's seeing someone tonight, like it or lump it, sunshine.

Enterflora - he said his legs and arms "ache" and "feel heavy" and he also said it hurt when he knelt down in work yesterday (to crawl under a desk), so much so he had to stand up immediately. He's not breathless.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Yes, he must see someone. It's not an ambulance job, but get him to pop to A&E. If he's not breathless, and it's very sudden onset, it's less likely to be cardiac related. Sounds like possible cellulitis, but he'll need blood tests. Don't waste time with the GP, if it's sudden onset they will want immediate investigation and send him to hospital anyway. Actually another thing you can try - press the swelling with a single finger, then remove. If the dent remains in his leg for a long time, it's less likely to be cellulitis and more likely to be related to cardiac or kidney issues. Anyway, I'm a lowly paramedic not a doctor, so get him to a doctor now. Not this evening. Now.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

BBB - thanks for that, I did press my finger into his ankle yesterday evening and the dent remained - the skin certainly didn't ping back as quick as it does on my ankle, if you see what I mean?

I've texted him again.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Yup, that's called pitting oedema and needs to be investigated. Get the stubborn fool to A&E. If he doesn't want time off work then that's the best place, since all tests can be done there and then, rather than GP requesting blood tests that don't get results for 3 weeks and having to have repeated appointments. Also, if he goes NOW and takes the afternoon off, it won't be as busy as in the evenings.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Cinnamon Ears - if he still refuses to take it seriously, can you persuade him to at least phone NHS Direct on ****. They will tell him to go to A&E, which might shake him into doing something.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to be pushing this a bit more Cinnamon. I can't believe he's refusing to get seen!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree. I would tell him that you have had advice from a paramedic as well.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

On my phone at work so can't say much, but he definitely needs to be seen, ideally today. Could be lots of things, not necessarily serious, but needs a proper work-up.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cinnamon, just in case you don't know (but I'm sure you do), Helenia is a doctor.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, it's maddening as he's at work in Liverpool and I'm back in St Helens with no transport so all our conversation about this is via email & text. I have bombarded him with texts and emails all morning, hoping he'd agree to go if only to shut me up.

I have copy & pasted all your replies and emailed them to him. I have told him that BBB is a paramedic, Helenia is a doctor and Footlong is the font of all knowledge. I have asked him what would his response be if it was me who'd puffed up like the Michelin man. I have threatened to email his boss, actually I think I blinking will.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Why are men so stubborn over their health?

Surely it's better to get it checked & treated now than leave it, it gets worse, needs further more complex treatment & time off work.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Do it, get him to A&E whichever way you can!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I've emailed him & his boss. I got a blinking Out of Office reply on his bosses email, grrrr.

I've said he can laugh at me afterwards for being an old fusspot if it's all something & nothing. He said earlier "Ian thinks it's nothing to worry about, an allergic reaction". Oh, well, that's all right then if Ian said so! He'd rather listen to his work colleague, than me (and hitched). No wonder men die younger if they're of H's mindset.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Does it say when he is back?

Just call an ambulance for him! Or can you ring NHS Direct and explain his symptoms?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't sound pleasant.

Really hope you can get him to go to A&E.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What it "probably is" is a different matter to what it "could be".

There are many things where the worst case scenario isn't necessarily a serious problem - an ignored swollen finger that turns out to be a break rather than a bruise isn't likely to cause any ongoing or permanent problems.

In this instance, the worst case scenario is very serious indeed.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I had another stab at him, and emailed his other boss. He's consented to go. Thanks very much everyone, will update when we find out what it is

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I hope its nothing serious. Well done on making him go.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Little update - he's been sent for tests tomorrow. Pitting oedema confirmed, with his Blood Pressure classed as "higher than normal" and his resting heartrate is faster than it should be.

Thanks ladies.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

You're very welcome. Whatever the cause, early diagnosis and treatment should get it sorted out. Thank God he's got the ball rolling sooner rather than later!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Glad you managed to prod him into some action and he's getting it sorted out. Best wishes to both of you!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, BBB, Helenia & Ravio. H added you're all very kind!

He's had a chest x-ray & a fair few blood tests. He's booked for an ECG in the next few days, as there is a bit of a backlog. I've stepped well away from google as I'm scaring myself. His blood pressure has been re-checked and this time has been classed as "normal" but his heart-rate is still fast apparently.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Totally missed this yesterday- just reading thru thinking tell me he has gone and thank goodness he has.

Don't google!! He is in the system now I hope he gets sorted quickly x

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Thanks kjay, I feel loads better knowing it's all being investigated. Should have the results soon, too.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Glad you got him to get seen... fingers crossed its nothing serious

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mrs C & Flora - I really hope it's nothing serious too. Thanks everyone again for your advice & support, H doesn't want his family to know (for obvious reasons if you knew his family) so we're kind of dealing with it on our own. It's good I can come here and talk.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I'm late to this CE but glad to hear he finally saw sense, men eh! Hope you're both ok.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics