Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner August 2003

Syn value of lemsip?

Dot., 20 of November of 2008 at 20:58 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 9

I felt so rough at work I had to cave in and drink one of my husband's lemsips (yuk!) as there was no other paracetamol around. I think they are highly syned, aren't they? (and not suitable for vegetarians or those who take NSAIDs and anti-d's i've since found out- oh great, that covers me on 3 bases with out the added bonus of pushing me over my syns today!)

9 replies

Latest activity by Dot., 21 of November of 2008 at 18:26
  • barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

If you're ill, you're ill. You really shouldn't be worrying about syns.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

I've never done SW, I wouldn't as the word syn is just plain wrong imho. Most people who join a weight loss club normally have issues with food, putting the word 'syn' in the program can't be good?

So while I obviously can't answer your question, if you're ill you're ill. Don't count it as food. It's to help you get better.

Hope you feel better soon. ?

• D
    Beginner August 2003
    Dot. ·
    • Hide content

The plan is actually working really well for me and I agree, syn isn't a good word but I'm adult enough to put it in to context.

Slimming world has actually helped me to get a balanced diet with out cutting anything out of my diet - I have high fat foods that I fancy but the syn value helps to guide me and tells me what an acceptable portion is.

I want to know the value because I'd comforted myself with other high fat/high sugar foods yesterday and didn't want to go so ott today, knowing that I'd feel better by the morning.

And I'm not THAT ill, just being at work makes you feel worse, don't you think?!

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

I'm really happy that the plan is working well for you. I know many people irl who is following the plan too. It's just the word syn which bothers me.

Hope you're feeling better today. ?

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

It's only a word, people get over it. It's not ideal but as soon as you jon SW, it's made very clear that no food is a SIN and that syns are just a way of helping you be aware of what you're eating ....

Baron is right in that if you're ill, then you should be focusing on what you need to make you better and not worring whether you're having extra syns or whatever. Having said that, Lemsips are vile and full of sugar and stuff that you don't really need. It's better to try and get some bogstandard painkillers if you feel that's what you need and make yourself plenty of hot drinks ......

Hope you're feeling better now!

• D
    Beginner August 2003
    Dot. ·
    • Hide content

I am ill frequently though so if I relaxed that much every time I'd end up the size of a house, which is probably why I'm the size I am now (ill health preventing excercise and causing depression).

I'm happy enough to stick to the plan while I feel like this, I'm old enough to know when I'm ill enough to eat what my body tells me.

• fox-in-socks
    Beginner May 2006
    fox-in-socks ·
    • Hide content

Dot - whenever I'm ill I make my own lemsip type drink. Squeeze a lemon into a pan, add water, grate some lemon rind and ginger (about half a thumbs worth) into the pan too. Bring to a boil then simmer for five mins. Strain into mug, and teaspoon of honey. Take two paracetamol and drink. It always makes me feel loads better.

• fox-in-socks
    Beginner May 2006
    fox-in-socks ·
    • Hide content

Oh, and if you are ill a lot you could try adding some seaweed into your diet. miso soup comes in little sachets and you just add hot water, so they're really convenient. i got used to the taste really quickly and now I love it. chock a block full of good vits and minerals.

• C
    Beginner June 2009
    claireac ·
    • Hide content

Dot - I just wanted to say I hope you're feeling better! You must have been feeling rubbish to take Lemsip, oooh they are disgusting.

Have you tried Echinacea? Very good for boosting the immune system and also vitamin C and zinc. Obviously you should check with your doctor if you're on other meds.

Hope you feel better soon!

• D
    Beginner August 2003
    Dot. ·
    • Hide content

Urgh, miso soup. I might try it again though, anything is worth a shot.

Claire I've tried echinacea before but it upset my stomach. My mum takes it and it seems to work for her though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics