Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsMac2be
Super May 2015

Table Centrepiece Attempt # 2 - Flash

MrsMac2be, 29 August, 2011 at 14:59 Posted on Planning 0 21

These were my 1st attempts and I thought there was just something missing about them... I will be filling the vase with the white stones so you dont see the stems.

So, OH and I went for a trip to Dunelms this afternoon and bought some white beargrass and artificial lavender and tried again... we prefer this attempt, it looks more...?!

What do you think? Is it missing anything or is it ok?

21 replies

Latest activity by Chidders, 30 August, 2011 at 12:07
  • Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Def like the 2nd attempt better ?

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Second attempt is nicer than the first - but maybe take out the bear grass as it looks a bit random dotted here and there? (Possibly this is exactly how you intended it to look, in what case ignore me)

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed on the beargrass, however, I spent a whole 3-4 minutes doing this arrangement, so it may look better when I have more time/patience to do a "proper" one. Maybe more beargrass perhaps and less dotted around?

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Second attempt very nice not sure about white grass but its your centrepeice, are you having all fake flowers?? i like this idea !! and they look very pretty x

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Having fake for the centrepieces but fresh (I think) for the bouquets etc ?!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

They are really lovely. I like the lavender in there too, altho tbh i think they looked nice anyway ?

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Smiley smile

I think the lavender broke up the mass of block purple colour, I'm happy with them but I just think a bit of tweaking with regards to the beargrass is needed though.

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

I definitely prefer the 2nd version. Very pretty.

Have you tried curling the bear grass at all? Not sure how easily it bends, but I wondered if some curled over grasses might fit even better with the roundedness of the flowers. I imagine them coming up, then bending over and back into the vase, like some bouquets have.

Just a thought.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like that idea... Smiley smile

I may give it a whirl to see what they look like/or more likely how good I am at it hehe..

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Just had a thought - do you have to soak beargrass to bend it gently? Not sure. Might be worth a google. I'll leave that with you - I'm far enough behind on my work as it is. This has become an addiction!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Love the second attempt Smiley smile

I see what you mean about wanting to tweak the bear grass, it looks quite 'spiky' against the soft/round shapes of the other flowers. Curling it like CarolineBride said is a good idea or if that doesn't work, perhaps just cutting it a bit shorter so it doesn't stick up so much and fits in with the other flowers more?

Good luck! You're doing a great job so far, better than anything I could create!

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you BV Smiley smile

I am the least arty person, ever!.. This, I think, was more luck than judgement though hehe

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

To curl bear grass, you just run it over the blunt end of a pair of scissors, the same as you would curl gift wrap ribbon. No need to warm it but the tighter you pull on the scissors, the curlier it will be and vice versa.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Rather than curling the grass how do you loop it over from one side to the other, over the flowers?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I would take out the bear grass, it looks a bit random. but definitely prefer the second version!

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

These look great - well done x

• MonaLisaBrideToBe
    Beginner June 2012
    MonaLisaBrideToBe ·
    • Hide content

I really like your second attempt!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you attach a florists' wire to each end of the grass, tape over and then you can position the wires to form the loop where you would like it to go. If you gently curve it with the scissors first, then it would split when you loop it over.

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

I really like these and i like the beargrass, i think it breaks it up a bit. Well Done!

• SoonToBeMrsH
    Beginner January 2012
    SoonToBeMrsH ·
    • Hide content

I think they look lovely, I agree that the beargrass would look nice curled. How about some LED fairylights added in the vase?

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I have had another thought, rather than the white stones to cover up the stems, I'm thinking of scrunched up (artistically of course lol) purple or white tissue paper?

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Well done KBS, i love that final attempt.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics