Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cford09
Beginner March 2013

Table Centrepieces - DIY or worth splashing out?

cford09, 22 of March of 2012 at 12:32 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone!

Just wondering what you guys are doing/did about centrepieces for your tables at your reception? I'm horrified at how much florists want to charge for a display and have been thinking about making something myself, but have no idea where to start!

Balloons are the cheapest option but H2B flat out refuses as he thinks they are tacky. I liked the idea of sweetie trees but my mum said the same thing (cheap and tacky).

Our colour theme is fuschia so it'd be pretty easy to get flowers in that colour but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone help? I have 6 round tables of 8 and the top table also of 8.

Thanks!

11 replies

Latest activity by maxinegallie, 22 of March of 2012 at 17:01
  • stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

It depends on if you want tall or short centrepieces but you could get those tall slim vases with 3 or 5 bright pink gerberas with some onion grass maybe? Or if short then maybe the same heads of the gerberas cut short floating on water in a fish bowl. All would look nice and not cost too much. There's always candles too.

• D
    Beginner July 2012
    dooby86 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm definitely doing my own centrepieces. So much more freedom and cheaper as you can re-sell the vases etc when you're done. Luckily my sister got married in 2011 so I've inherited 10 long tall vases from her, and plan to sell them after my wedding. They were £9 each from Dunelm Mill (or any homeware store is good), then some coloured glitter or stones or sand at the bottom to weight the vase and bring in the colour scheme, with 3 flowers, cream peonies for me, in each.

It brings great height to the room and you can tailor it to your tastes and colour scheme!

Another little tip I got from working in a hotel for 2 years is if you use a mirrored glass plate underneath the vase, it adds interest to the table and looks fab! (Again re-sellable so another cost to recoup!)

Good Luck!

Lucy (& H2B)

x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Vases with just 3 flowers in with grass are the easiest to do yourself if you fancy having a go. If you go for opaque vases, black ones go well with hot pink, then this cuts down the cost of having something in the vase to cover the stems e.g., gel, gravel etc. The golden rule for centrepieces is keep them low or go well above head height so that people aren't struggling to see each other across the table.

Another idea is potted plants or herbs in aluminium containers which you can give to guests to take home with them. The containers are also available in enamel in a range of colours too

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

I think this is something you can defo do yourself if you don't want to pay for it. I am using jam jars with a piece of lace/ribbon tied round in bows and am filling them with whatever flowers I find in the supermarket/random fields the day before. I'm not worrying about this too much as once the evening reception starts a lot of these things are moved/removed so in essence will potentially only be on the table for 2-3 hours.

• *AJS*
    Beginner December 2012
    *AJS* ·
    • Hide content

I am doing my own centrepeices for our December wedding. We have bought crackled vases from The Range and we are filling them with lights and baubles! Check out the range, ebay and b&ms for low cost vases x

• honeybee9
    Beginner May 2012
    honeybee9 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing half. Basically i've bought all the vases, mirrors, tealight etc and the florist is just supplying the flowers and setting it up for me.

I have 6 table centres which i will be selling after my wedding in May if your interested let me know. For the top table we are putting the tumblers (as seen in photo) across the length of the table (8) with rose heads and petals and my bouquet in the middle.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrswebb2b ·
    • Hide content

Personally i agree with your OH i do with balloons are tacky sorry!

We are paying for the florist to do our centre pieces, they are what your guests look at most of the day so i think they are worth splashing out on

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

We're having tacky balloons! ?

Our rooms is massive and very very high, so I went with ballons to try and fill the space. Our colour is fusica, we are having a group of 3 balloons (fuscia and white) on each table. Think they were £7 each, and we are having two massive bunches of 15 ballons behind the top table on the stage. No balloon arches though, they really are tacky!!

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

We're not having any flowers in our wedding apart from the top table one the venue are doing (unless they will knock something off the venue if we don't have it!)

My bouquet will be a brooch bouquet and then we're using pinwheels for everything else (we're next to the sea).

Our BMs are having big ones, groomsmen are having button hole ones and for the tables we're getting nice glass vases, filling with sand and putting one or two in (haven't decided yet)

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

DIY as long as you've got good friends and family to help you set it up on the day.

We're having fishbowls with mirror plates underneath, clear stones and gerbera heads sitting in the bowl.

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Definately do your own!

We got our glass tiles from Ikea and there are plenty of glass vases/bowls in Asda cheap as chips!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I'm going against the grain. Hire them. By the time we would have bought everything, not to mention the stress of having to go and set up etc, it was the same price for us to hire professional centrepieces and have them set up and collected. It is a company who hire the vases etc, and they charge a very reasonable rate for flowers based on the cost price, as you mainly pay to hire vases etc.

We have 7 tables. Each table will have mirror plate, tall vase (large tables so had to be tall) filled with aqua beads, then 3 roses at different heights and grasses. They look beautiful and elegant. To have that all delivered, set up and collected is costing just over £100 (will take 2 people to set up!). So I think it can be quite resonable if you don't want the hassle.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics