Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner July 2013

Table crystals... acrylic vs swarovski

RosyP, 7 August, 2012 at 11:20 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone

I want to buy table crystals for my centrepieces, and I want them to be really sparkly and not cheap-looking.

But real Swarovski ones are so expensive!

Does anyone know of anywhere you can get any real crystal ones? (swarovski or non-swarovski)

Or what successes have you had with acrylic ones?

Thanks

11 replies

Latest activity by RosyP, 19 August, 2012 at 17:14
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mine were acrylic, no one noticed the difference.

In fact most of them either ended up in someone's pint (table throwing competition!) or in the bag of the little girl who was collecting her princess diamonds!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Swarovski Crystals are much nicer, much more sparkly and are of a better quality however for what they are they are not worth it at all imo. Considering I work with Swarovski Crystals on a daily basis I still opted for acrylic ones as otherwise it would have cost hundreds of pounds compared to £10!!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Do not buy Swarovski Crystals. Waste of money that could be spent on other things.

I went on ebay and bought these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10000-Top-Quality-Wedding-Table-Decoration-Diamond-Crystal-Confetti-Mixed-Size-/320957362982?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&var=&hash=item4aba8cb326 there are loads of variations out there.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello

I am a bit of a snob when it comes to crystals and would only use Swarovski but thats because to me there is a very noticeable difference in quality and appearance and think acrylic can look a bit cheap/tacky in my experience but if you personally can't see the difference (i wish i couldnt would save me lots of money!!) then go with the cheaper option.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

I'm having Swarovski but only because my Auntie offered to get me some and pay for them if they were coming out of my money I'd have bought acrylic lol

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    RosyP ·
    • Hide content

Hmm mixed opinions!

I might order samples of both and compare, or maybe just get acrylics so I don't know exactly how much better swarovski are!

Thanks everyone!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I got acrylic from a chinese company & they looked great. There are so many other things that guests will be looking at in the room & on the table, I personally wouldnt bother spending a fortune on something so insignificant.

Nearly ALL my crystals were collected up by guests, so be prepared to not get any back! At my SIL's wedding, the guests even took the napkin rings, presumabley thinking they were in addition to favours.

These were her napkin rings:

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    RosyP ·
    • Hide content

Hmm yeh if I got Swarovski, I'd definitely want to be able to sell them after. So if people (lots of kids at my wedding!) are going to be collecting them up, I'd prob best stick to acrylic!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Don't buy samples of both. If you can afford Swarovski then get them first off but otherwise just buy the cheap ones. Once you see Swarovski compared to Arcylic then you'll know how much better Swarovski look. Honestly once they are scattered on the tables it's pointless spending hundreds of pounds of them and I've heard so many people say they will collect them up afterwards and none have ever remembered to do it or have the time or even botheredness in the end! Seriously do you want to be giving someone that task on your wedding day ? when they could be away enjoying themselves going to see the evening guests arriving.

I doubt people would even notice they were Swarovski and the ones that do will be the ones who have bought them before for a wedding/party etc and they are going to be few and far between.

I use Swarovski on my exhibition tables since my designs are Swarovski but the crystals ALWAYS get stolen!!!

As a rough guide I'd use between 100 to 200 per table which would cost from £14 to £28.

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I supply acrylic ones in my venue dressing packages, however i had a Bride who supplied her own swarovski ones and the difference was amazing, I think you would need a lot less per table than the acrylic ones

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    RosyP ·
    • Hide content

I've ordered some acrylic ones to practise with. Don't want to spend a fortune on Swarovski if people are just going to help themselves - I'd want to be able to sell them on afterwards! I have lots of children coming so I imagine they might like collecting them. Thanks for your advice everyone!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics