Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mandspice
Beginner September 2013

Table Decoration Opinions Please

mandspice, 19 November, 2012 at 11:12 Posted on Planning 0 16

We're having a black and white theme and the tables will have white linen, white chair covers and black sashes on the chairs.

I wanted to avoid too much fuss over the table decoration and also avoid spending too much. Specifically decided against flowers.

I've found these birdcages on ebay (just bought one so far) and was thinking of having them with an LED candle, the glittery white butterflies attached (which I bought separately) and confetti on the table. We also have butterfly name place cards in black and white which slot on to the rims of the wine glasses and I'm thinking of Lindor dark and white truffles as favours.

Can I have your opinions? Do you think it will look pretty enough on the tables? Thank you!

16 replies

Latest activity by SarahW73, 21 November, 2012 at 11:08
  • C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

To me it looks a bit too dark, but it could just be the lighting, and once you've a light in it might brighten it up. Not sure on the attached butterflies either, but then again I'm not a butterfly person!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I love birdcage centrepieces. I think what you're describing sounds like it would be pretty - I would be tempted to have maybe one butterfly perched on top of the birdcage as opposed to two but you can experiment with that. The birdcage would really stand out on a white tablecloth as well. Don't know how far into the details you are at the moment but you could have black wine glasses (not to everyone's taste, I realise!) which means place cards in white would really stand out too.

Ooh - just found this on Pinterest (try to imagine with butterflies and without flowers!)

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your comments, and the inspiration also Nicola - that table looks fab and much more opulent than I imagine ours looking but it's still along similar lines.

It's so hard to imagine how it will all come together on the day isn't it. I've had this birdcage-no-flowers idea in my head for ages so wanted opinions from a fresh perspective.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

I like birdcages but I'm not sure about the butterflies on it. It might look better with just having the one as they're quite big compared to the cage. Also, the butterflies on the cage will tie through to the place cards anyway.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True, one might look better. I just wanted to make sure it was sparkly and not dull. But they are quite large, you're right.

Thanks.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

The birdcage is a very heavy, dark, almost gothic piece - and will look even more so with a candle in it. I think it will need a lot of softening (a white birdcage suffers less from this problem). I'd be tempted to go with something like the picture posted ^^^^ and stuff it full of white things (flowers, butterflies, maybe little LED lights mixed in). With white in the middle, the butterflies on the outside will look less "alone".

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Purely subjective, but I'm not keen on the butterflies. But that's because I'm not a butterfly fan.

I love love love the one posted above though.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh, I'm having doubts now. I definitely don't want gothic! Originally I was going to get white but thought they'd get lost in the table cloth. I wanted to avoid having to buy lots of flowers etc to put inside it and hoped I wouldn't need to but I can see exactly where you're coming from.

Hmmmmm. Tricky one.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

This is the venue, with a black and white theme, if it helps to visualise!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think you'd need to spend a lot of money to pad out the stuffing. You could make white paper flowers cheaply.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True. I guess the quality of the insides isn't really an issue as they'll be partly obscured anyway.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Footlong's come out with a cracker there.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

I think they're nice hun. The butterflies make it look pretty. My only concern is whether they're big enough as they look quite small on the pic.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sarah. They are quite small, smaller than they looked on ebay too.

Love those paper flowers but origami is defo not my forte ? Am sure I know a man who can though.....

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Do you think they'll get lost on the table or are they big enough hun? x

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They are a bit small. But then I look at them and think that if I was to have a dinner party or a normal table they'd look cute and my ethos was always to avoid a big fuss and expense. So am trying to look at them from a non-wedding point of view and judge them on their own "merit" ?

Still unsure though....?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

You sound like you know what you want to me hun. If you're happy with them, go with it! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics