Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rubyfirecracker
Beginner November 2013

Table Linen

rubyfirecracker, 19 October, 2012 at 21:43 Posted on Planning 0 24

Hello All

Would appreciate your advice on this...

We will have about 12 5ft (153cm) round tables and about 5 rectangular tables 120cm by 75cm.

The plan is to cover them in white table linen, and have homemade gingham runners on the rectangle tables, and square gingham overlays on the round tables.

I'll knock these up on my sewing machine and the gingham fabric will come in at about £60.

Our venue doesn't provide table linen, so I've been looking around to hire. Their recommended supplier charges £7.50 per table, and this seems pretty cheap, but it's still far too much money for our teeny tiny budget.

So... what about white plastic, still covered with the gingham, or even those white paper ones? I've never seen them so I don't know what they would look like. Do any of you have any feedback, or know where I can get cheap linen or good quality disposable tablecloths?

Thanks Smiley smile

24 replies

Latest activity by rubyfirecracker, 20 October, 2012 at 19:46
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Well if you are handy with the sewing machine have you thought about getting some cheap white bed sheets and making your own table cloths?

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Megsykins ·
    • Hide content

Do you or OH have any friends or family who work in a pub / restaurant / hotel? They will have tablecloths and might lend some to you.

When an internet supplier let me down on tablecloths for a work event, OH rang the pub he worked in when a student and the landlady kindly lent me a dozen large white tablecloths with a couple of hours notice.

Alternatively I'd second bedsheets - we used to use them at work when needed lots of tablecloths as cheaper to buy. They're a bit thinner than tablecloths, but would probably look better than plastic or paper. Try Wilkos, Argos, Dunelm Mill, etc. Getting sheets large enough for the round tables could end up being more expensive than hiring though.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I've just looked up the dimensions of sheets and I think king size would be fine, they don't need to be round although you could cut and edge them.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with the sewing, i've got an overlocker (once I suss out how to re-thread the damn thing?).

(Are you getting you gingham fabric from the rag market??)

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks all.

I do have a friend who is a caterer so he might be able to get hold of some linen - I never thought of this. If I beg him to do it for our pressie, I might even get it free Smiley winking

And I never thought of bedsheets - good idea. I did flirt with the idea of making my own but the fabric would have cost more than hiring and would be seamed, so bedsheets is a good idea. I could even hem the edges with gingham ribbon or applique onto them ...ooooh Smiley smile exciting! That will be my back up plan.

Loveska, that is so sweet. I do need lots of help with sewing as virtually everything will be handmade! I'm going to Fancy Silk store for the fabric, I love it there but always come out with tons of stuff I have no need for Smiley smile

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I was going to get some gingham banqueting roll for the buffet tables as it doesn't matter so much on them.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

If you have a cash and carry card, or can borrow one, you can also get disposable cloths which are classed as soft drape and these hang just like real cloth ones - some can even be re-used but yet they are still disposable.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just give me a shout.

I would check Fancy silk prices first if it's just for wedding stuff. We bought gingham for my flower girls tote bags and for pocket squares. It was £2 a metre from the rag market.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Wowee that's cheap!

That's so cool of you to offer, are you sure you wouldn't mind?

I would be happy to gift you something in return Smiley smile - I have a fabulous 1960s hanging chair in my loft gathering dust for example.

Who made your gingham bags? I saw the pics, dead cute.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I'm also making pocket squares!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

It really is no problem, It would be a pleasure to help.

H made our pocket square?.

I made the little bags. We did practically everything ourselves. Are you having place settings? Here's a flash of ours, they were really easy to make. (and our seating plan)

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

We are thinking we will have a table plan but probably not place settings as it will be quite informal. I'd quite like to make some place settings but as people will be eating pig from a paper plate, it'd probably seem out of place!

The reasons we are having a table plan are a) I want to make a pretty table plan display, and b) so everyone has somewhere to sit and there aren't 'spare chairs'/people without a chair.

I absolutely love love love your wedding, Loveska. If I was a guest I'd have been completely bowled over.

We totally have to get together man! If you have many kids with autism in your school (i.e. more than 2), I am happy to come out and do some free training/ workshops for parents and staff. Are you on the ole facebook thingy?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

You'll love this then, we had them on our cake table

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I've sent you a conversation message chic.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha Smiley laugh

Pinking shears, I tell thee.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I need to get some new pinking shears, I've got to make some 'baby shower' bunting.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Don't bother pinning, just draw triangles in a row (one right side up, one upside down and so on...) then snip them. Then sew them on one by one to your ribbon/string etc....easy peasy, I swear it!

Loveska, Ikea do them for about £8 which is the cheapest I've seen them.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ruby, I'll pop there, I only live 2 minutes away from Ikea.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

You could use tailors chalk or make your template slightly bigger then cut inside the line.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Regular pencil is fine, you wont see it.. or you can use a dressmakers pencil which fades in the wash,

The beauty of bunting is that it doesnt matter if its a bit wonky or has pencil marks as people wont be up close anyway, and its the overall effect that makes people go *oooooooooh*

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Also Loveska, see my free printables pinterest as there is a lovely retro kids print on there which would make awesome baby/kids bunting.

http://pinterest.com/rubyfirecracker/freebies/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics