Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bowski

Table name help

Bowski, 31 August, 2011 at 11:36 Posted on Planning 0 14

Since I'll be having a table plan I need name for the tables (mainly so PIL don't think they've been relegated to tables 4 & 5 at the back, which they have) So we have two sort of themes.

Our main theme is autumn, but the blessing (that requires table names) is on bonfire night so we could have fireworks for the table names.

Any ideas?

14 replies

Latest activity by ajdown, 31 August, 2011 at 12:24
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts are you getting married? Might that lend itself to something?

We're an autumnal theme but as we're getting married in the New Forest we're using trees and animals that can be found in the forest for our names.

The fireworks theme might be useful but I'd try and resist putting your parents in law on either the Catherine Wheel table (originally an instrument of torture) or the Rocket table (as they seem to need one up the arse...)

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

Now you tempted me to do that!!

Nothing at all in the local area lends itself to table names. I did think about getting photos from family of their wedding days and using those instead of names just photos. Then the in laws will be all showy off that they've got a picture of them on the table but it'll mainly be my family. I have a nice pic of my Dads parents when they got married. I'm just one relative short!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Aj im laughing at that i wouldnt have known and catherine wheel would have been top of the list lol

how about gunpowder treason and plot the real reason for bonfire night no actually prob not best idea think the idea of animals and trees is a good one best play it safe x

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

Ok so how about

Horse Chestnut

Oak

Maple

Sycamore

Elm

What do you reckon?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's actually quite a gruesome method of execution... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_wheel

But probably trees is safer for table names Smiley smile

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Aj you can keep your catherine wheel info i dont like lol and bowski good names x

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

Do not tempt me with an instruments of torture table name theme!

Or

Conker

Acorn

Pine Cone

Chestnut

Catkin

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Perfectly good selection of tree names, and you might even be able to find some real leaves to use as part of the relevant table centrepieces.

We used oak for our top table as it's always been the "quintessentially English" tree and, therefore, the superior one in my mind.

I'd put the PIL's on Elm, as in Dutch Elm Disease...

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Prefer the first not sure id want to be on conker or pine ccone lol x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

That second selection is fine apart from Catkin which I always think of as a spring thing?

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd already thought of that!

I'm just looking for pictures of leaves now!

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I couldn't think of another tree based thing.

The center pieces are vases with candles and fake autumn leaves in them so I was thinking I could put the relevant thing in the bottom with the leaves. Any ideas for the last one?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why not an autumnal fruit such as apple?

You can get scented candles from Yankee Candles in suitable things like apple, pumpkin, mulled cider etc, if that's any help (which we have done!)

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Both of your weddings sound like they will be beautiful good luck with the planning! aj you sound so calm and uber organised and like you have taken interest in every detail wish my H2B would he thinks im crazy

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've very much done it together, and apart from her dress we've both had a lot of input in all details. We're calm because we're organised, and are confident that our plans will come together. Remember that girls have been thinking about their wedding since they were old enough to understand what it meant, whereas boys don't, and because much of weddings and indeed the wedding industry is 'bride centric' it is not easy for us to feel like we're wanted any more than an accessory that turns up on the day wearing what he's told to. With guys, a lot of ladies seem to take "don't mind, you decide" as a lack of interest when in fact what we really mean is that we have no real opinion either way and will be happy with whatever you pick. Best way to get guys involved is to let them take the lead with things in their 'comfort zone' - wedding cars, entertainment, suits, etc, whereas most guys - myself included - are likely to know nothing about flowers.

This comes up from time to time and you'll find various other discussions about it - let's not derail the table name thread Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics