Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Table names at reception

21 April, 2013 at 12:15 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi all!

Up until just now, I was just going to name our table numbers 1,2, 3 etc but I just had a revelation and thought about naming them possibly as either the neighbourhoods of Manhatten (TriBeCa, Greenwich village etc) or as individual monuments/attractions (times square, central park, MSG- basically the attractions where we went).

I did some googling and came across another lovely idea of naming the tables after the people who have passed away in both family's. My partners nanna passed away last summer so i thought it would be lovely to have her husband sat at the table named after her etc? We are also getting married at the church a few doors up from where my great grandad lived (choosing it specifically for its importance in my life as my nanna and grandad live the other side of the church) so to have his name would be nice for me too. There are no ridiculous names so it would all sound quite nice I think:

shirley's table, rose's table, Ernest's table, rogey's table (nickname for Walter but he was called rogey by us all) are a few of them

id be interested to hear what your plans are for table names, along with your thoughts on my ideas? X

8 replies

Latest activity by ptb13, 22 April, 2013 at 09:09
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I just went with 1, 2, 3 etc.

I personally wouldnt have the tables named after loved ones that have passed. Relatives & friends at the table may not want to be reminded of their loss the whole, entire, night by seeing that name on the table. I'd remember them with photos on a table & candles, or some other way.

• Missmadgiggles
    Beginner August 2013
    Missmadgiggles ·
    • Hide content

We have a sort of childhood/80's retro theme... so am naming each table after one of our favourite childhood games (buck-a-roo, guess who, connect 4 etc).

I think its lovely to include the names of those people that mean a lot to you as table names... might not mean much to many of your guests, but it'll mean a lot to you.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I've gone with locks on the River Thames as OH is from a 'boaty' family.

but had we not had that, it'd have been numbers

• stompie
    stompie ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine had star wars characters,

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree 100%. I understand the sentiment but the realisation of it runs the risk of mawkishness, or perhaps mild depression/sadness.

Our table names were based on 'ensembles' found in band names/song lyrics - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Lovecats, Super Furry Animals, We Are Scientists, Immigrant Song, The Good The Bad And The Queen (and we matched each name to the characteristics of the people at the table).

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We opted for the capitals of each country our overseas guests had travelled from, it made them feel appreciated for coming so far. The top Table was London for everybody else.

• *Munchkin*
    Beginner October 2013
    *Munchkin* ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in the City of London (almost... technically, you have to cross the street to be in the square mile), so are having London Underground stations.

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    ptb13 ·
    • Hide content

We are looking for ways to remember a couple of family members who should be at our wedding but that have sadly passed away. But I don't think we'd name tables after them for the same reasons as above.

We are naming our tables after places that mean something to OH and I - where we were born, live, have visited together etc. the top table will be Indonesia as its where we are going on honeymoon and is therefore the next step on our journey together. Bit cheesey but if you can't introduce a bit of cheddar on your wedding day, when can you?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics