Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

Table numbers versus names?

pandorasbox, 19 June, 2012 at 17:53 Posted on Planning 0 16

Am slightly worrying about the implied 'hirearchy' of having table numbers. We went for this because couldn't think of any theme we were having originally and lots of things seemed a bit cheesy or fluffy for us. However I suddenly remembered that when I was a BM and saw 'Table 7' out of 8 tables I did feel a bit... put out. Don't want any of my guests feeling like they are bottom of the pile so to speak, so am toying with the idea of changing our stationary order to have table names instead.

We have sort of developed a summer/sunflower theme as we have gone along, and for table names have thought of either a) sunflower breed names (quite pretty) or b) places in Mexico we can visit on HM (exotic sounding)

If you went to a wedding that had either of those as table names would you think it was tacky or weird?

Similarly, if you go to weddings with table numbers do you get offended by the hirearchy?

If you were my guest would you really not care either way?

16 replies

Latest activity by ESW, 19 June, 2012 at 20:58
  • B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit worried too about using numbers. Although as a guest I've never been offended by table numbers, I'm usually more interested to see who else is on the table.

I think we're going to go with names too, just need to have a think about what to use.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

To be honest even with table names, someone has to be at the table near the back, if they are the type to take offence they will! lol

Were having names, just because personally, I think numbers are a bit boring and I also wanted something that meant something. We are having books of the bible with a relevant verse from that book written underneath.

I like the idea of sunflower names, possibly easier to pronounce than mexico places, and you could incorporate a photo of that variety.

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there!

I always favour table names! Is a way to express your criativity and originality!

I have been to a wedding where they names the tables animals of their HM in Africa and had cute wooden animals on the table. eg: The table "Elephant" has a wooden Elephant on it. I thought was great!

The HM table name seems to be a bit out there now, so could be safe as well if people don't understand what you meant by the Sunflower breed name, unless you explain or only put that breed on the table maybe? =)

Table numbers never put me off or thinking it was hierarchy, it was the first time I thought about it when you said. But if it's something bothering you, go for names, because it will have you worried on the day?

• *AJS*
    Beginner December 2012
    *AJS* ·
    • Hide content

I think the ideas you have for table names sound lovely! I also am not really fussed about hierarchy with table numbers but I know some people would be. We are having names for our tables just because I liked the idea!

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

We're having table numbers. Maybe someone will think 'oh' for five seconds, but hopefully it wouldn't affect either their enjoyment of the day or mine. We are having 8 tables and table number 8 will be my closest girl friends. It's obvious that they're not ranked number 8 (in ranking terms they'd be second after the top table). I'll probably put OH's family at number 2 (again, nowhere near where I would rank them!!)

• *tinkerbell*
    Beginner March 2013
    *tinkerbell* ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of place in mexico could be a good talking point for guests. I think we will be just doing numbers as i dont want to much on my tables trying to keep it simple . I hoe people dont feel like its a hierachy thing .... the room isnt massive so everyone should still feel part of it .

• K
    Kittyrose ·
    • Hide content

We're having surnames of sci-fi movie heroes (and heroines) and incorporating them into a quiz, where they have to give their first name and the movie they are in, mainly because we have heaps more names than tables! I think it doesnt really matter whether you have names or numbers, but we thought it would be fun. I really like your ideas for table names - especially the sunflower one. Table names dont have to take up more room than numbers really if you put them on a photopeg!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't going to bother with pictures as our table card will have a pic on anyway matching the place names:

I think the sunflower names would sound a bit random but nice. There are some like 'Aztec Sun' and 'Lemon Queen' (my bridesman and partner would go on this table as they are a right pair of self-confessed queens ? ) and so would sound fairly imaginative. The Mexican ones people will probably guess what it is, but I don't think they would get the sunflower names and I wasn't going to bother with explanations or anything. Not sure if it matters they 'get it' or not.

Hmm. Prob should see if OH actually has an opinion but he is off to the footy so am guessing now isn't a good time!

• L
    Beginner September 2013
    lakedistrict2013 ·
    • Hide content

I think sunflower names are a lovely idea! Have you got favours yet? Could have sunflower seed too - maybe even to match teh different varieties.

I always like seeing table names as it is a bit of a talking point :-)

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

You know, until now it had never occurred to me that table numbers could be looked at as a hierarchy!! I shall pay more attention to where I get put at the next wedding I go to ?

I do like names though, especially when they are "on theme" or tell you something about the bride & groom Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm having names as I was worried re hierarchy - love your idea of sunflower names to fit with your theme

we are having names of dragonflies/damselflies

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, just had a thought - if you were worried re them not realising the names were of sunflowers could you find seed packets with the name/flower type on?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Prefer table names, like BV said, it gives some personality and tells you something about the couple or ties in with the theme.

Wouldn't worry about people not knowing they are types of sunflower - provides a topic of convo for people to guess! I once went to a wedding where the names were random places but I never did get the full story of why each place was chosen (they weren't obvious).

There is a heirachy related risk with numbers but as someone else said people who are likely to take offence will do anyway but I prefer to avoid the numbers.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Numbers for me, for sure. I find names can sometimes be a bit cheesey so we decided to stick to numbers. Didn't consider the hierarchy to be honest, and nor to I care. If someone feels offended because they have been put on the last table then so be it.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

I've been more offended by names than numbers. I went to one wedding where the table names were types of wine, and I was put on the "Blue Nun" table. Clearly I'm a champagne girl, or at least a nice chablis!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We are having numbers, the second I brought up names the OH pulled rank!!!

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

We are having Chilli pepper names as OH loves them, on one side if the name and a pictuere of the said chilli and on the other the name a little bit about the chilli.

I don't like names as I find it impersonal now I'm actually getting married but to be honest I have never thought about until now

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics