Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

Table Plan - Are you making your own or?

2013_Bride_, 1 February, 2013 at 11:07 Posted on Planning 0 24

I've priced up one from www.paperthemes.co.uk but would love to be able to make my own.

This is what I'm thinking (I'm so not crafty so this could end in disaster).

- Canvas Board

- Fabric

- Double Sided Tape (to attach fabric to canvas board)

- Table Names (attached to fabric somehow).

Would this even work? All I keep thinking is I'll end up with rough fabric around the edges but if I got fabric big enough to selotape around the back where no one could see it, it might be OK?

24 replies

Latest activity by kezz_howland, 1 April, 2013 at 13:56
  • E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

You could get some craft scissors that cut the fabric in a shape maybe. We are getting a canvas and doing it ourselves (my OH is the creative one so he's doing it!!! Saying that as he writes graphic novels, despite a rustic country garden/vintage themed wedding we have now ended up with superhero table names.....Saying that, they are at least going to be retro ones but still....)

:-)

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I was going to make our own, but after looking through the pack from the venue, they make a table plan for free. I just need to see what it looks like, and if it's fine we'll just do that, and if not I'll then look into doing something myself. After seeing this year's hitched awards winning table plan I would LOVE to put together somethign like that, but have no idea where I'd find such an amazing frame!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

If you're wanting to cover canvas with fabric then I would cover the front completely then staple the edges to the board at the back.

You could then get a piece of card the same size as the canvas to 'back' it with so there are no rough edges.

Why not use string running across the plan and use mini wooden pegs to keep each individual table in place?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.

Kharv - thats a nice idea. I guess you have to use on of those special staplers for that so I'll see how much it would cost.

When you say about the card you mean put it on the back of the canvas? Great idea.

Love the peg idea! Oh I'm so going to end up super crafty by the time I'm married (I hope!)

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

We only have four tables inc the 'top' table so not sure whether to have one or just let people find their names, although I have considered using a pin board some how!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I would like to do something like this basically! :-)

I think I'm so much more crafty than I am, lol!

Or to save squishing everyones names into small spaces I would do say 15 big luggage tags with all names for each table printed onto it on cream paper.

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Ah I got completely teh wrong end of the stick! I love this and think it actually wouldn't be too tricky to do. Maybe practice with some old fabric first on a small canvas (think they are fairly cheap) and mock up a mini version :-)

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats a good idea!

Thanks

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking of doing something like one of these....

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

Im making my own. I have bought a lovely mirror from Tk Maxx, I am going to replace the mirror with thin wood and then I have found some fabric from ebay to put onto it. Then I have got some pretty luggage tags to tie onto some ribbon that will go across the seating plan.

Basically in short this....

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Im going to my venue one evening and making my table plan with them it comes with my package!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.

I've found some nice fabric on ebay, 100% cotton, would that be suitable or not?

Just it says this which has thrown me:

This fabric is ideal for Upholstery, Cushions, Curtains, and other sewing crafts requiring a more durable fabric rather than the standard lightweight craft cotton.

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

Cotton should be fine.

I think you should all count yourselves lucky...my OH is doing the tables names/plan. All I know is we need to have 11 tables, and he has bought this:

I think I will need some serious imagination!!

Smiley smile

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Cotton should be fine.

I think you should all count yourselves lucky...my OH is doing the tables names/plan. All I know is we need to have 11 tables, and he has bought this:

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, and we're standing it on this instead of an easel!:

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Yes we did its was cardboard with Hardwood film strips on the bottom showing all the old hollywood stars the tables were names after

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

You shouldn't need a special stapler, just open out a normal one et voila!

I made ours & used an old picture frame and took the back off so it was just the frame. I got some gold ribbon off e-bay & stapled 3 vertical rows of it, then I got gold & white card & stapled & glued this for the names. It looked pretty darn good & I am not crafty at all.x

• D
    Beginner October 2014
    dollydimple88 ·
    • Hide content

Love the mirror one at the top. OH bought me this mirror when he proposed as an early valentines present...my writings rubbish though x

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

I had thought of doing a traditional-ish table plan but...

As we are having our tables named after ales (Old Timers, Guzzler, Get Knotted, Pheasant Plucker, Old Legover, Bobby Dazzler, Easy Rider and Nutty Stack- all suited to the people sitting on each table), we are relabelling standard beer bottles with the relevant ale names. On each table either side of the centrepiece will be full labelled bottles. The table plan itself will be empty labelled bottles with guests name cards on wires coming out of the top and a bit of gypsophilia spilling out of the neck so it looks like a bubble explosion. The bottles will be in a tiered pyramid shape like a back bar display. Being ex publicans we figured it would sort of reflect our past together. Just hoping it looks ok lol! :0o

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

I've done mine myself, but it's literally a 10 x12" gold frame with a sheet of pink card and a print out on ivory paper. It's bold enough and looks nice. I've seen brides use nothing more than flipboard thingies with marker pens but you know.. everyone knew where they were sitting!

MrsStobe13 xx

• M
    Beginner March 2015
    MrsF2Bee ·
    • Hide content

I hope to make my table plan, pretty sure our venue dont but dont think they have anywhere to stabd it either xx

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We made ours, , ,

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Am going for DIY but with minimal effort!

Already have a cardholder similar to this at home

Have bought luggage tags, going to spray paint them white and then yellow then will either handwrite or type the seating plan for each table onto each tag. One tag will be Top table, next table one, two etc... And will fit them into the heart as above.

• kezz_howland
    Beginner August 2013
    kezz_howland ·
    • Hide content

We are doing ours with a canvas. Bought some red satin material to cover it and OH has a staple gun to attach it. Then using string and pegs to hand small luggage tags with everyone's names on onto the tables, except the top table which will be stuck across the top. Then I have some ceramic lilies to decorate with and gonna tie little bows round them to make them look like little bouquets. I've ordered everything so hoping to get stuck in next week when it all comes!!

I've only just thought tho... do you have to provide some kind of stand or will they usually do that for you? Maybe I'd better check!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics