Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sambarine
Beginner May 2015

table plan & place cards - what would/did you do?

Sambarine, 28 of February of 2015 at 18:05 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello ladies - I need your wisdom!

We will have a table plan set up so that guests can see where they're sitting as they enter the reception. I'd like to also have place cards printed for them/have a tag attached to their favour to act as a place card. h2b says we don't need place cards if people can see where they're sitting from the plan. Who's right? Did you/are you doing one or the other. or is it more normal to do both?

6 replies

Latest activity by Sambarine, 1 of March of 2015 at 09:45
  • FutureMrsMcCall
    Beginner October 2016
    FutureMrsMcCall ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to do both, and my sister did both at her wedding. It depends whether you want people to sit in specific seats - for example, my sister had planned out the seating so people like our grandmother would be facing the top table during the meal, as she's not very mobile and wouldn't be able to twist round to look during the speeches.

You could just have a seating plan, but I think chances are then high that people will choose whatever seat they want at the table you've put them on, as they're less likely to remember how the plan was laid out by the time they get to the table, and they'll probably assume it can't matter much if there are no place cards.

So if you don't mind that, then don't worry about place cards, but if you do have specific ideas about seating then I'd do them Smiley smile in my opinion, a table plan helps guests locate their table, and then place cards help them locate their seat.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I did both for the same reason as the previous reply. If I saw my name on a table planner, I wouldn't necessarily recall where on the actual map my seat was, just the name/number of the table.

All the weddings I've been to had the guests name & table on the board, then a place name card/tag on the actual spot they sit in.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

I have never been to a wedding where they don't have place card so I think it's pretty standard - I think it is either a free for all regarding seating or allocated seats at tables. It depends how worried you are about people talking to each other or any awkwardness - I have recently done my seating plan and found it reassuring to think that I have placed people next to each other with similar interests or who I think will get along - particularly for guests who won't know many others there.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think the first answer was a perfect response, exactly what I would have said.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

People use a table plan to work out which table they're on not which seat. They're often done as a list too and not in any seat order, not always mind, so yes - both are necessary if you want people in set seats, and people will expect it tbh.

• millbankandkent
    millbankandkent ·
    • Hide content

I would suggest place cards so there is no confusion or embarrassment for your guests.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies ladies, I think you've hit the nail on the head - h2b thinks its overkill to give people set seats. In his mind, if they know which table they're at, they will seat themselves. Whereas I think it's easier for the guests if we have place cards so that there's no confusion. however, as everyone is getting the same favours (no boy/girl split), we could just do it his way. I'm just worried that, as you point out, guests will expect place cards and be confused when they get to their table and there aren't any. Hmm.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics