Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

porkchop
Beginner September 2012

Table sizes

porkchop, 10 of April of 2012 at 12:29 Posted on Planning 0 8

My venue has 5ft6 round tables. I was planning on 10 per table, but googling gives different advice for the number of people around certain size tables, suggesting anything from 6-8 up to 12 on this size!! Has anyone sat 10 comfortably on a 5ft6? Havent had chance to get to my venue to do a dummy run yet, and its a local guildhall so no wedding coordinator as such to ask!

8 replies

Latest activity by Nicalf08, 10 of April of 2012 at 14:49
  • IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

My venue dresser said 8 max...which has balls up my plan, but she was right when I looked at them again and put chairs round.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

My venue have 5ft round and 6ft round and recommend 8 and 10 respectively, but say you can reasonably comfortbaly go to 9 and 11 and 10 and 12 will fit but with a real squeeze. Co-ordinator said she would usually only do that if therewere kids at the table.

so, ligocally for 5ft5 9 or 10 would seem reasonable. 8 might be a bit too spaced ouyt, but if you are having quite elaborate decorations etc then 8 might work fine.

probably better having fewer than more for comfort.

If you go with 8 on a table can your venue fit enough tables in?

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Just reread. Ours our 5ft exactly, they fit 8. Maybe you could manage an extra one on with the bigger table.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The venue is huge so space isnt a problem, but we have 160! 10 on top table, left us needing 15 tables, with only 8 we'll need 19 tables, its just seem so ridiculous to have so many tables! And I'll need to order more balloon arrangements, table cloths etc.

I guess I should just wait to test it out when I can get time to go set it out.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I reckon you could get away with 9's and 10's especially if you have some children.

Alot of the spacing isn't just chairs but also things like the number of glasses on the tables etc - maybe you could discuss with venue/caterer how to minimise this (e.g. not laying the table with glasses for white, red and water but asking when the wine is served and only giving the right one... its a pet hate of mine that you sit down at weddings with masses of glasses that somepeople don't even use if they don't drinkt eh table wine, plus any glasses people bring with them from drinks they had before, plus glasses for toasts!

Though in reality its probably best to check it out properly, I know that once I start thinking aboutthings I want to know and get it sorted NOW! lol!

DM x

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

In my experience 10 people can get quite cramped around such tables but it depends how formal your day is.. think of all the sets of cutlery that will be pre laid on the table (starter? bread? intermediate? main? dessert?) the glasses (red wine? white wine? champagne? water?) water jugs/bottles? wine bottles/cooler buckets? bread basket? butter? table names/numbers? place/guest names?, napkins?, favours?, centrepieces?, sparkle/ glitter/confetti/crystals?,tealights/candles? etc etc etc when i worked in hotels we always used to joke about where people expected you to put the food down.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Anymore than 8 would be a real squeeze and very uncomfortable unless there are a few children on each table as well.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Ours are 6ft round tables and the venue said 8-10 on each one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics