Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Talk to me about Vivien of Holloway please...

Holey, 29 January, 2013 at 12:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 32

After seeing the thread on WP where the lady bought that beautiful VoH dress for her wedding I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a couple of weddings I'm going to in September. I know a few of you on here love them so thought you may be able to help!

So my questions are:

I'm size 12, pear shaped, small on top with big hips and a bigger belly - will the halterneck prom style suit me?

What is the sizing like?

Is it worth getting the underskirt from them?

finally, are they worth the money quality wise?

Is it worth going to the shop to try stuff on? I'm not local but could easily do a trip down there.

Thanks!

32 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 30 January, 2013 at 08:31
  • ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I think Spangler is the queen of VoH dresses but not sure if she's lurking

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, hopefully Spangler will make an appearance!

I'm also a little bit worried I might look like an extra from Grease!

I probably should have added that I'm 5ft 9in if that makes a difference!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

PP spangler said to drop her a line on FB if you want as she doesn't come onto hitched anymore

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE Viv dresses! Definitely worth going to the shop if you can. They use vintage sizing so a size 12 in there will be smaller than a high street 12 but if you're not able to visit the shop, they have a sizing guide on their website so you can order online. I would definitely recommend getting an underskirt as well, it gives the skirt so much lift and it's so much fun to have a twirl! I'm going to the shop when I'm in London next in Feb to buy my party dress for my wedding, complete with red underskirt. Love love love!

At the risk of being a bit ego, here is a pic of me in my favourite VoH dress that shows the skirt and underskirt in full swing! Oh, and I am 5'8" ?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Enjayee that looks gorgeous! thanks!

JoJo I love the polka dot one below:

https://www.vivienofholloway.com/en/category/50s+Halterneck+Polkadot+Dress/1950s-halterneck-polka-dot-dress/1227

I still a bit worried it may make me look a bit out of proportion being small on top but maybe a good bra may be in order!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

EJ you look hot!!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think you'll look out of proportion. My friend is smaller than me up top and she has a plethora of Viv halterneck dresses ? But a good bra could sort you out if you are worried or they have wrap dresses too which really suit those with good hips! How far away from London are you as they measure you up in the shop and give you recommendations as to what will suit your shape. You're definitely a great height for Viv!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

thank you ?

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I think they are stunning dresses. I have the height for them but not the age! I'm way tooooo old

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Oooh you look gorgeous in that dress enjayee! Love it!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooh this is the exact one I have been coveting. You look FAB in it ?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I Love VofH! I have 5 of them!

You really need to measure yourself properly. I took all my measurements and ordered my first online, I then went to the shop and tried on the same size as my first one but the shop assistant convinced to try on the size smaller. it fitted amazing!

Evern with my big boobs i didnt need a bra and it eally tucks in your waist!

the underskirts are quite expencive, you can get them cheaper off ebay or I get mine from another online store- I'll check what the name is, they are about £23.

I think they are worth the money but i wear mine a lot!

you will get lots of compliments from complete stragngers which is such a compliment boost!

the shop is great fun and the staff are very friendly and helpful!

I'll come back with the name of where i get my peticotes and some photos!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! The dresses are a massive confidence boost which is so lovely ? (thanks for the compliments btw ?)

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I have two and I love them. I'm also pear shaped and find they really suit my shape as they make the most of your smaller top half and cover your bigger bottom!

Definitely go at least one size up. If you're ordering from their website, they're happy for you to return if you need to. I'm a 10 on top and mine are 12s and they were still super tight. On one occasion I was actually sick after my dinner as the bones were digging in too much!

I definitely think you need the underskirt as it really makes the outfit. I'm probably going to look to sell my two dresses and the underskirt as they're unlikely ever to fit me again, so if you're interested in a light blue underskirt let me know. I also have a proper VoH belt in a small.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Ok, I got my petticotes from here

and these are actually from friday night when i helped a friend out by doing a photoshoot!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

It's not letting me up load the 3rd pic, i'll try later.

there is a FB group called "i have a vivien of holloway dress and i love to wear it"

which has lots of photos of women of all shapes, sizes and ages looking fab in dresses!

there is offten stuff for sale there too!

I got a voucher for xmas so im going to the shop to get some pedal pushers! Ive got a coule of belts and a couple of the flower clips for my hair ad a friend gave me a necklace from there for xmas. I love all ther stuff their and would love it if the shop was my wardrobe!!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

*wolf whistles Mrs Bass*

You look fantastic! Very vintage glam ?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Why thank you!

I love twinwood as i spen the whole weekend looking a glam as possible for as long as possible!!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Sounds to me as though a Hitched meet at VoH would be a good idea. Then we can egg each other on in the purchasing stakes and all go out afterwards looking like a rather fab vintage charabanc trip!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I have been meaning to go to Vivien of Holloway for ages and this has inspired meet to go soon! I am not sure if for random clothes or for a wedding dress....

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

My H bought me a VoH dress for our wedding, and i love it, even though I didn't end up wearing it. They are well worth the money, and look AMAZING with the petticoat.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Here is the link to the FB group Jo, and saves me trying to upload the pic of me in my cerise circle dress with red petticoat as its on here!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7070116970/

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I would LOVE one but they're too expensive for me just now.

I love 50s style clothes especially the bigger dresses. I love the wiggle style but I don't think they'd suit me!!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Tizzie - keep an eye on Preloved and eBay, can sometimes find some Viv bargains ?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Well I think I've made my mind up and I'm going to try and get down to the shop to try a few on. My H pointed out that if I bought it June time I'd be able to wear it when we go to see Frankie Valli!

Mrs Bass thanks for the link to that group, I've joined now. Love the pics of you in the cerise dress with red underskirt!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics