Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner September 2012

Tall BM dresses help pls

Celtic B, 12 December, 2011 at 16:44 Posted on Planning 0 12

I am having a bit of an issue with my bridesmaids dresses. I am a perfectly respectable 5'5'' but by sister MOH is 5'8'' and SILTB (BM) is 5'10'' and really struggling to find things long enough that are the right price. I may well need to get them made but thought I would see if any of you had any ideas. They are both insisting on paying themselves so dont want to cost too much but my sister MOH is also allergic (really quite badly) to Nylon so got to be careful what they are made off as well.

Have tried on coast dresses, they are ok for MOH but about 2'' short on BM!! Both want long as I think this makes them feel happier as they are tall, which is fine by me. We are looking for blue of some shade and dont even mind if they are 2 different shades!!

Oh and just to add to the fun my sister lives in Italy but is brilliant at being there when I need her. She even flew over for the weekend to come dress shopping with me and BM is fab and so helpfull. I really want to find something that they both love!!

Any suggestions appreciated Thanks?

12 replies

Latest activity by Celtic B, 14 December, 2011 at 21:23
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

What about getting lace or some sort of fringing, beading etc to go around the hem & add a few inches? You could cut off a few inches of the shorter girls dress, then leave the longer ones as are then add the extra length to all of them.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Keep an eye out on Long Tall Sally. They're really good for tall women and tend to have offers on a lot (and really good sales).

Just had a quick look on there and although there's not much on there at the moment, it's worth keeping an eye on after Xmas, when they get their new stuff in.

HTH

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will do thanks. I had looked and thought there wasnt much on there so will keep an eye now!!

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks I dont think that would work with the coast ones as they are very chiffon and floaty but may well be the way to go with so others so will keep this on mind thanks

• MrsG2B28.7.12
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsG2B28.7.12 ·
    • Hide content

My sister is 5ft 11 and my other bridesmaid is 5ft 4. My only option was bridal shops and my budget didn't stretch to the 200+ cost of most but I found Forever Yours dresses a bit cheaper, A long chiffon dress was £149 I then (only just) needed extra length added to my sisters dress which cost £30. Tbh I think you will struggle to find dresses long enough on the high street, I know I do at 5ft 8!

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

Honestly... I think you'll struggle. I'm 6'1" so I speak from experience, and if you intend for them to wear heels as well I think you'd be better having them made, this is what we've done and it's been around the same price that you'd pay for a dress in coast.

Ive had maxi dresses from new look and Dotty Ps they have a tall section, next long sizes are never long enough. Zara is also quite long length.

I've never bought anything in long tall Sally because I think it's all a bit anne-twacky.

Coast is never long enough and and neither are the dresses in Debenhams.

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

I'd look into having them made, then you can specify fabric, design etc.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Are you looking specifically for full length dresses? If not then what about getting standard full length ones and then shortern them to knee/tea length, that way you can tailor for each of them, you'd have to pay a little for the alterations but it would give you more choice on the high st which might balance that out.

Or, have you asked them where they normally buy from? Since they are the tall ones they will have the benefit of previous experience!

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help think we will go down the made to measure option!! Thanks again

?

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    Bride2BMilliexx ·
    • Hide content

I am having the same problem with my BM's but i got my dress from Berketex and they have a bridesmaids dress designer called EMily Fox who does gowns in loads of different colours, loads of different sizes and to suit different shapes so have a look at booking an appointment there as they were really helpful with fitting my BM's into their gowns ?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Do they have to be long? You'd have less of a problem with tea length/knee length dresses. When I was BM for my sister, we were 5'8, 5'10 and 5'2 and all managed to get the same dress and the shorter girl had hers shortened.

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content

We are loking for blue but quite flexible on the shade, but both girls want long and thats fine by me. They have been very good to me and if they feel happier in long then I am happy to give them that.

Thaks for all of the advise guys. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics