Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner July 2016

Tall bride problem!

Em921, 4 of August of 2014 at 15:12 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all! I’m 5’11-6ft and wondering what other tall brides out there are wearing. I have seen some gorgeous dresses and I would really like a floor length, but obviously regular sized dresses will probably be ankle length on me! Would this look silly? Or would I be able to get it lengthened at all? I have thought about this but I'm worried that if whoever does it cannot get the same material would it look tacky? I am on a tight budget so don't want to spend too much on a dress!

Any advice would be really appreciated! And I would love to hear what you are are wearing as well!

Thanks lovelies!

9 replies

Latest activity by leni-lw!, 4 of August of 2014 at 18:56
  • M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Hey! Welcome to the site...

Dresses are usually really long, I'm 5'7'' and I'll need mine shortened even in heels so don't worry at all!

Where are you based? There will be loads of recommendations from people on here Smiley smile

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    Em921 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! I've heard that most dresses are 'catwalk' height which is 6ft, but the dress I tried on showed my feet so worrying about others now!

I'm based in Liverpool! Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Ahh, I'm in London so can't help, but I'm sure someone will pop in!

Good luck Smiley smile x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Dresses are usually on the long side and get taken up by shorter brides - it's much easier to shorten a dress than make it longer.

I'm 5'9 and just about got away without having mine taken up (wearing ~2 inch heels) so you may well be ok, especially if you wear flatter shoes.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

My dress came in reg and extra length so we just got the extra length one. The reg one was almost long enough, just not quite and I'm just under 6ft. The extra long had to be taken up. Most of the samples I tried were pretty long though.

• Ladykake
    Beginner November 2014
    Ladykake ·
    • Hide content

I am 5"10 and didn't have a problem, like a previous post mentioned they are already quite long and often need taking up... are you planning on wearing heels - if so i would buy them before you order your dress to make sure you like how it falls.

Good luck! x

• VegasBride14
    Beginner October 2014
    VegasBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm 5ft 9in and I got my dress from Davids bridal at Stratford as they can order their dresses in longer lengths!

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

I'm 5' 11" and all the dresses I tried on were too long even for me. But I was wearing flats as that's what I am planning to wear on the day.Also need to remember that if the dress is a smaller size than you need, you will loose a little bit of length when they do it up.

I actually got a made to measure dress from china that I absolutely love. I went for a couple of extra inches in length to allow for a full underskirt though.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly the same for me too

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

As above.. I wore flats and my dress just skimmed the floor nicely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics