Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharding2014
Beginner October 2014

Tall Centrepieces- Too much??

kharding2014, 17 May, 2013 at 19:30 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi,

After speaking to some very enthusiastic parents and then some very un-enthusiastic bridesmaids I could really do with some advice.

We are having the wedding breakfast in a conservatory next October and although the room isn't ugly I think it needs something to give it the wow factor. It has quite high ceilings- pic below. I thought it would be nice to have something to fill the space and found these trees. My family, H2B and MIL love them but my bridesmaids think that they may be too much and people will get frustrated not being able to see clearly across the table. Is this going to be an issue? What do you think?

15 replies

Latest activity by clarehj, 18 May, 2013 at 12:06
  • mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree with your bridesmaids I'm afraid.

They are lovely and would make a great decorative feature when placed on a table in a corner or something, but I'd hate to feel I was having to duck and dive around branches and stems to hold a conversation with the person opposite.... Unless I didn't like them of course. I guess it could make table planning easier ;0)

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

The trees deffo have the wow factor, bear in mind when seated the guests won't be on eye level with the spirally leafy bits, only the main trunk, for that reason I say it's fine, maybe take out a few of the orchids at the bottom

• Dash of Sparkle - Venue Styling & Wedding Planners
    Dash of Sparkle - Venue Styling & Wedding Planners ·
    • Hide content

Hi There

I think the tree is beautiful and would definitely work well as a focal point in the room. You could use it as your wedding wish tree and get your guests to add notelets with special messages for the two of you.

One of my favourite centrepieces which are quite large but because they are made of crystal, you don't really create a problem to see. It is also a tree but you can bend the branches anyway you like high or low.

Here is a link to one on my website - https://www.dashofsparkle.com/events-gallery/party-gallery/

The room definitely calls for tall arrangements but they need to be at least 50-60cm in height with the main stalk part rather thin so it does not cause an obstruction.

Hope the feedback help.

Kind regards
    Idit

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all of the advice.

I agree about taking some orchids out of the bottom to have as little as possible obstructing the view. I might speak to the company who make the trees to see if we can go and look to see how hard it will be to see around the table. They will make them at any height so I can ask for the branches not to start until after head height.

I am drawn to them as I think I need something to match with the height of the ceilings without being too pretentious.

Kayleigh

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I really, really like them and something I would have!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I think they're awesome! If I were sitting at the table I'd enjoy the view and be talking about it, not moaning about it. Just sit the unenthusiastic bridesmaids opposite someone they don't want to talk to and they'll be grateful! ?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is a barn with high ceilings and it looks better with centrepieces with a bit of height.

We're having some tables with these centrepieces (but with different flowers)

High but not quite so chunky as trees.

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

Kristabubble, your venue and decorations are beautiful!! I love the informality of the centrepiece but still with the drama. The trees I'm looking have will have the same lanterns hanging from the branches and they will beautiful with tea lights in. I'm trying to avoid anything to formal and boring.

• MrsPanda
    Beginner December 2016
    MrsPanda ·
    • Hide content

I like the fact these are a little different plus a good talking point and people will get over not having a direct view if you love them so much. If you really like them then I say go for it.

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

I love them! I understand what your bridesmaids are saying but think there be fine as thinner on the trunk bit so won't be to chunky and 'in the way' until bit further up

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

LOVE LOVE LOVE tall tree like centerpieces and I really, really wanted something like these.

Then when we went back to our venue the ceilings were not as tall as I remembered (so have to rule it out as would look rubbish)

The meal is such a small part (in terms of time) of the overall day so who I would not be fussed by obstructed views!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

They are beautiful and the widest bits are way above the part that may block the view. Imagine them with the tops cut off above the part where they cross over. that is all that will be in eyeline.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

They are stunning and won't be blocking views across the table because, as others have said, they are narrow at seated heights. I suspect the flowers half way up are to conceal a tie but perhaps they could cover it some other way if you are concerned (though I don't think that you need to be).

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful venue! I think the trees would look smashing personally and I agree they would be more a talking point vs. a hinderance. the bulk is well above eye level anyway so people can see around them. I would note thought that not all the tables have the same center pieces in that pic, if you look behind I see a glass vase one directly behind it so they are doing a combination not to overwhelm I think Smiley smile I love it though!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I love the trees - and think they look a bit different from your usual centre pieces.

I think they wouldn't obstruct views, once you remove some of the orchids at the bottom, unless you have some extremely tall guests.

I love tall centre pieces.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics