Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner December 2012

Taller than my groom - advice re shoes and photos!

kingfisher1923, 13 April, 2012 at 09:10 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked before in the past, but I wondered if anyone had advice on this topic. I'm about 2 to 3 inches taller than my H2B - I'm 5"8. I'm assuming I'll wear flat shoes for the wedding day (they will hardly be seen under the dress anyway, I guess?), but I wonder if this will look strange or if I would walk more nicely with a small heel - IYSWIM.

Also, any advice re photos? How to make them look good?

Thanks in advance :-)

15 replies

Latest activity by Bathsheeba, 13 April, 2012 at 23:08
  • B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

My OH is just an inch taller than me so In taller than him in heels. I'll be wearing flats on the day, in actually glad about it as they'll be way mor comfortable. I don't think it will look strange at all. I was a BM recently and even though we had floor length dresses my friend insisted we all wear heels so we walked more nicely down the aisle - half of the BMs secretly wore flats and u couldnt tell the difference Smiley smile

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

The only part of the shoe you are likely to see often is the toe-cap as it peeps out the front when you walk. A heeled court and a ballerina pump have very simlar toe-caps so it would not be obvious you are wearing flats. And there is nothing wrong with choosing flats over heels anyhow! Go for whatever shoes you like!

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

I'm the exact same position (even down to heights and differences!) I was going to go for converse under my dress but then realised that I walk like a boy in them and my dress would need altered at great expense. My other issue is that in heels I will be the tallest one there, even taller than my dad and I don't want ot look like a hulk next to eveyone.

So, I have decided to go for kitten heels and a hoop so the dress won't need changed, I have used the alteration money on fab shoes instead and I've made the (both very short) BM's wear HUGE heels so at least it evens out a little.

I did ask (and his mother backed me up surprisingly) to wear those heel things that go inside shoes to give a wee bit more height but he was NOT happy about that. Even after I explained that I was compromising with kitten heels - he can be a brat and compromise...? What's that? Maybe it's an option for you though?

I also spoke to another bride who was in the same position and she said on the day she really didn't care and in the phot's it's hardly noticable so I am hoping the same.

Plus, as one BM put it, it's not like everyone there doesn't know he's shorter than me!

I do feel your pain though.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

In big heels I'm taller than OH so will just be wearing little ones. Like others have said people will know he is shorter than you so im sure it wont be an issue. My boss who is tiny has shoes with a bit of a platform in them to give a little extra height, perhaps suggest these? but men do tend to be a bit precious about being short so be tactful!

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Probably where I went wrong "just wear those bloody heel things to give you some height, if i have to compromise why shouldn't you?"

Tact isn't my strong point.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

I have been told if you stand behind your OH slightly or on a sort of angle you won't be able to see in the pics you are taller? Maybe speak to your TOG!

I would wear whatever you feel happiest in! Smiley winking

• ben@beautifullytold.com
    ben@beautifullytold.com ·
    • Hide content

If you're concerned about it, let your photographer know - there are several things that can be done to disguise it in the photography.

But my advice is not to worry about it: he knows how tall he is, you know how tall you are, so do all your friends and family - unless he's sensitive about it, forget it. ?

• gonnaBMrsF
    Beginner October 2013
    gonnaBMrsF ·
    • Hide content

Hi, how about these? http://www.ninewest.co.uk/sale/belizeit2-13.html Still very weddingy. On the plus side, your feet shouldn't be too sore at the end of the day! ?

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I feel it shouldn't matter which one of you is taller. It's not something that I would consider. My ex was an inch shorter than me, however my h2b is a foot taller Smiley smile

• SadieButterfly
    Beginner September 2013
    SadieButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I would wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. Other than flats you could wear a kitten heel.

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It shouldn't matter (and doesn't to me normally and I'm guessing kingfisher1923 wouldn't care either) but when you consider a difference of 3 inches plus maybe another 2-3 for shoes that it's starting to mount up. As a taller bride I want to feel girlie and petite not like a giant next to everyone :-) It's the 'kiss the bride' bit that bothers me, I don't want ot have to bend down to do it! My BM's don't think I should worry either but they are both a good foot shorter than their fiances so they will get that girlie petite feeling anyway.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Im taller than my oh and im 5'10- wore flats cos i cant walk in heels- and re:pictures it didnt even think that i should be 'posing' in a certain way ? dont worry and have a fab day ?

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

My oh is only 3 inches taller than me so i am a little worried about being taller than him in photos, so i will be wearing flats/kitten heeled shoes (although im finding it hard to find small heeled ones i like!!) and when we choose his make sure he has a good thick sole on them (some blokes shoes give an extra 1-2inches!) i don't really have any tips other than standing on different levels/steps etc and to try not to hunch in the photos, pics where the woman is taller only looks bad when you can see the woman is uncomfortable.

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for the suggestions, encouragement and ideas - really appreciate it. As several have said, it's not as if everyone doesn't know how tall we both are LOL.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I rather enjoyed being taller than my ex especially in high heels but maybe that's just cause I've spent my whole life being shorter than a lot of people ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics