Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kriek
Beginner December 2012

Tartan trousers anyone?

Kriek, 3 June, 2012 at 15:35 Posted on Planning 0 13

I'm fairly chilled out about all things wedding planning but my dad's choice of outfit has been bugging me at the back of my mind. My dad has always been a bit funny about getting dressed up smart. The groom, best men, ushers, my brothers etc will all be wearing their kilts but my dad refuses to wear a kilt. This is fine with me as I want my dad to be comfortable, but I still want him to look the part. I told him ages ago that he has the choice between wearing a kilt or a morning suit and it's entirely up to him what he'd prefer.

Yesterday we were going to buy kilts for my OH and my youngest brother, and my dad announced that he would wear tartan trousers to the wedding. At first I thought he was joking and I had visions of him looking like this

However it turns out he is quite serious and I was wondering if anyone here has been to a wedding where someone in the bridal party wore tartan trews? I had always thought they were reserved for golfers, punks and eccentric old men, but a after a quick google it appears there are smart versions of tartan trousers.

I'm sure I'll get used to the idea if my dad is serious but may need a bit of reassurance that it can look ok. He'll probably go for the black watch tartan as it's closest to our family tartan.

13 replies

Latest activity by Kriek, 5 June, 2012 at 14:29
  • *tinkerbell*
    Beginner March 2013
    *tinkerbell* ·
    • Hide content

My grandfather will be wearing tartan trews and it desnt actually look that bad. His tartan is a dark green colour and he will be wearing the same kilt jacket and shirit that the rest of the men are wearing . I was the same as you at first with horrible visions but once i had seen them they actually look very smart and i think more appropriate for his age

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just advise him that he will look like "that" Bay City Roller band member!!!? (not sure how many hitchers will remember them!!!!!)

http://tartanblog.scotlandshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/bay_city_rollers_146.jpg

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Thanks tinkerbell. I'm sure it will look fine once they're paired with the kilt jackets. My grandad might wear them too because he is 90 and has hip problems so I think a kilt would just be too heavy for him.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Haha Peter that is exactly the look I don't want him to go for!

• M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding last summer where the best man wore tartan trousers. Personally, I prefer the look of kilts. But, honestly, they don't look bad, especially if you get ones in a more subdued tartan. Just don't let him get a matching tartan jacket!!! ?

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Yikes a matching jacket would be something else. Think it will be something like this but with a black waist coat.

Will see if he changes his mind and goes for a normal suit but if he really wants to wear them then it's ok. I'm just so surprised because he hates being the centre of attention but I'm sure a lot of people will comment if he goes for this.

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

One of my colleague wears tartan trews to any black tie functions. not my cup of tea, but they're not too bad. Some tartans look better than others though.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

My dad wanted to wear tartan trousers at my wedding. I thought he'd said it to try and wind me up, except i wasn't bothered so long as he was comfortable.

It was actually the guy in the shop who convinced him to go with a Kilt. what tartan are you having?

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

OH's dad said he was going to wear trews and OH was dead up for this.. He thought it was different and cool! I dont think it would bother me and I think id prefer tartan trews over a suit,

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Ps we were at a wedding last year and the FOB wore tartan trousers - they looked absolutely fine,

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

It'll probably be black watch tartan as it's closest to our family tartan which my brothers will be wearing, it's dark green and blue so probably one of the better ones for trews.

It was the guy in the kilt shop who suggested it to my dad, I wanted him to go for a morning suit or a kilt, but I'll be ok with trews if he's actually comfortable in them.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I would have said that Black Watch will look fine as trousers. My dad's tartan is the Elliot tartan, which is a rather bright blue.

....would not have been a very good colour for the trousers.

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I love trews! I told my dad he can have trews instead of a kilt if he likes! X

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Yeah that's pretty bright RKB, my OH has pjs in a similar tartan.

I was at a party yesterday and lots of people were asking about my wedding plans. I casually mentioned my dad might be wearing trews and a girl (who I'm not really friendly with) shrieked with horror and said "I hope you told him where to go!". Umm no because I'm not a cheeky b**ch and I think he deserves a choice in his outfit.

Thanks for the reassurance ladies, maybe trews will become super fashionable in the next few years ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics