Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

chels1315
Beginner August 2015

Tattoo's and weddin dress

chels1315, 25 of July of 2014 at 08:39 Posted on Planning 0 23

I know know they arnt everyone's cup of tea and don't get me wrong I love my tattoo's but I have one on my right hand and one on my left forearm that will be visible on the day, others will be hidden under dress.
I'm just worried they will look silly with my ball gown style dress.
Is anyone else with tattoos bothered by them for their big day?
I know I'm probably being silly just a lot of my family frown upon them and feel they will judge me for having them on show on the big day!!!

23 replies

Latest activity by InkedDoll, 25 of July of 2014 at 14:35
  • kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

The key is to do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. If that means having your tattoos on display for all to see, then please do so. They are part of you, after all!

If, however, you genuinely feel that you want to cover them, you can get some decent cover up makeup. I don't have tattoos so couldn't begin to advise on what would work best, but I'm sure there will be ways to do it.

Like I say, though, there is nothing more important than how YOU feel on the day. Everyone else can lump it!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

I have tattoos and in now way do I wish I didn't have them for the wedding day. Their part of me and part of who I am. If people don't like it sod them. It's not like your making them have a tattoo is it.

When I first started getting tattoos my parents weren't happy, thinkjn I would be covered! But I have 4 then after the wedding when I can afford it in having more work on bth my wrists and Mrs W***** across my foot. But they have grown to love them as to me they all have meaning! My dad now 50 even has 2 now! How he changed his mind haha!

Just be true to you on your wedding day and make no apologies for that Smiley smile

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I never covered mine. They're part of me, and my H would have been a bit puzzled if i'd have covered them.

you can apparently get some amazing cover up make up though, hopefully someone else can come along and advise, as I don't know what it is called.

imo, they won't look out of place, as they are part of you. Everyone who knows you knows you have ink. I have seen some gorgeous brides on here with their tats out.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I have lots of tattoos too (as my name suggests) and even though I'm not wearing a traditional wedding gown, I wouldn't wanna cover them if I was. They're part of me and anyone who judges me for having them isn't worth worrying about! Unless *you* dislike your tattoos, don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Be a proud tattooed bride, that's what I'm doing!

• JellyBellyBride
    Beginner December 2014
    JellyBellyBride ·
    • Hide content

I have one on my back which I regret getting as it was a drunken mistake when I was 18, it has no meaning - it was picked off the wall and if I had the balls I'd get it lasered off but I hear that's really painful and I'm a bit of a wuss lol.

So, I've got some body makeup to cover mine - I got Vichy Dermablend body foundation and setting powder. I got the light version but it's still quite orange on me so I think we need to play around layering that with other foundations to get the colour right. Hopefully it will last the day, although I'm thinking about getting the concealer stick as well to make doubly sure.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

I have a few tattoos that I love but I do have one on my wrist that I feel is a bit to in your face so I am getting a pearl cuff bracelet that will cover it, I am wearing a strapless dress so you will see all the flowers I have down my back!

Think about what you want sod everyone else

xx

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I've got 9 and I'm going to try and cover 2 the third one I'd like to cover will be impossible without getting cover up on my dress ias it's on the inside of my arm and it'll rub. The rest I'm not so bothered about as they will be hidden, mum did comment when I got my first one saying "your going to look ridiculous when you get married".

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

The make up is called dermablend, you can buy it in department stores or online. Kat Von d also does a range of cover up stuff but I don't know where you buy that one,

i don't understand why people would cover up part of themselves on thier wedding day- your tattoos are part of you, why hide them?

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

Do you have any pics of yourself in your dress? If not, why don't you see if you can go and try your dress on, or the same dress in the shop if yours isn't ready etc, and take some pics of yourself in it. Then you'll know how you look (roughly). You could alway ask one of the lovely peeps on here to photoshop your tattoos out so you can see how that would look too.

If after seeing the pics you're not happy you can investigate the cover up make up, as I don't suppose it's cheap, so you don't want to waste your pennies.

If you want a little reasurance there are some blogs online (I think one is called rock and roll bride?) with girls with all different style dresses with tattoos, and you can see how they looked? Might help reassure you a little to see how other people have done it.

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

I have a tattoo on my upper arm and it will be clearly visible on my big day. I'm not goint to even attempt to cover it up. It's part of who I am. If anyone wants to judge me then go ahead. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but it won't make me any less of a bride if its on show and i'm certainy not embarassed by it.

Don't let other people's opinions worry you. x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable and if that means having them on show, then ignore the judging. What matters is that OH waiting for you who loves you with your tattoos or without xxx

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I have nothing against them and have several (and you cant hold off forever on the off chance you marry) but personally I do think they look tacky in a wedding dress

that's my taste though, I find it also depends on the tattoo as to how tacky it looks - a terrible little flash devil in a nappy, a heart with your ex's name or wile.e coyote/bugs bunny/daffy duck etc.... on you shoulder, upper arm or boob in a strapless satin ballgown is going to look far, far worse than a well done black and white rose trail on your forearm in a half sleeve lace 50s style tea dress etc...

mine will mostly be covered but im most worried about my foot tattoo, it was spur of the moment and needs covering but it will be transected by my strappy shoes which will make it look worse as you will know its there but not know what it is but makeup would rub off on the shoes Smiley sad

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

If its for yourself that you want to cover them up ok, but dont cover them up for anyone else.

On the subject of cover up make up I have yet to see one that either covers compleatly or one that lasts all day and I still end up doing the rest of the coverup in photoshop. Many times I have been asked to remove tatoos from photos but there are other ways not to have them on the photos.

There was one with a bridesmaid who had one on her right leg so on any group full length shots I put her on the left hand side (groups left) slightly side on left foot forward and its gone

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies!

i do love my tattoos I just don't want to sit there hearing half my family say how 'common' I look with them (there words not mine)

I know society is different now and tattoos are a lot more accepted just wanted some reassurance so thank you Smiley smile

i definetly won't be covering them up now

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it helps, my uncle decided my brother's wedding breakfast was a great time to start interrogating me about why I have so many tattoos and how he thinks women shouldn't get tattoos. We were sat with people I didn't know and I was so embarrassed. I love him and I understand he's from an older generation but man, f*** that noise.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm having mine covered by my makeup artist

I don't like my tattoo, my dress has a very low back and is very 'pretty' on the back, my tattoo is right in the centre of my back and will spoil the look. If it wasn't possible for me to have had the tattoo covered, I definitely wouldn't have chosen that dress.

I don't hide it generally (i.e. holidays, or low back tops/dresses etc) but I don't want the green blurred splodge of my tattoo ruining the beautiful details on back of my wedding dress!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Brilliant !!!!!!! ---- I now have my new prase for the week ahead that I shall be useing at every opportunity.?

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

Yes completely bothered because I have a half backless dress and my tattoo is located on my back. it's okay if people can see the whole tattoo but the thing is they only see half of it which is weird and not so pleasant to see at all. lol. If you're not comfortable with it, and if you really haven't bought a dress, then find something that can make you comfortable and confident Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I'll be wearing a full length strapless dress, so a couple of mine will be covered, but even then I totally want a photo of my gorgeous shoes and showing off my ankle tattoo at the same time! I have 3 pretty big butterflies on my shoulder blade and my mum was pleased when I decided I would wear a veil (initially had said I didn't want one, but liked it when I tried it!) because it will "soften them" but I'm proud of my tattoos, and will definitely make sure there are photos of them without the veil! My tattoos are one of my favourite things about the way I look, but I know not everyone feels the same

• H
    Beginner October 2015
    hallowedding ·
    • Hide content

Double brilliant, I'm using this too!!

i have a very large back piece, I would like a dress that covers it because I don't want my tattoo to be the talking point of the day (hardly any of my family and none of OHs family know it's there) but I'm not ashamed of it, I love my tattoo I just don't want my wedding day to be the day that I reveal it to all. having said that, I'm not prepared to faff about with makeup to cover it and if I fall in love with a dress that doesn't cover it I'll have to just deal with the reactions

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad to know my obnoxious phrasing is proving popular! Anything relating to being told what to do cos someone is female, or a certain age, or disabled, or fat, or anything of that nature - that's my go-to expression.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, but if you are uncomfortable with them there are options as others have said.

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

InkedDoll I always love your replies lol

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad! Given that I have just instructed someone else in another thread to "go and put their big girl pants on", I'm wondering if it's time I reeled it in for the afternoon.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics