Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

**Tedious question alert** Where is your boiler?!

30 of December of 2013 at 21:28 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 29

We've just viewed a house that we both really love, but the boiler is in a cupboard in the bedroom - at the other end from where the head of the bed would be, but still where I need peace and quiet as I'm a rubbish sleeper. Are boilers loud and annoying when they switch on? Does anyone have a boiler in their bedroom and wish they didn't? Am I totally overthinking this?! We don't have central heating, so I'm out of touch with some modern luxuries.

Much obliged ?

29 replies

Latest activity by Jaysmonkey, 2 of January of 2014 at 13:38
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Hmm ours is pretty noisy when it fires up but it's not firing up in the middle of the night. Just first thing and then in the evening while we are up.iyswim

If you do end up going for it just make sure you get a bloody good carbon monoxide detector!

In answer to your original question though, ours is in the kitchen

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

In the kitchen! That's quite a random location in the bedroom - did it used to be part of an airing cupboard or something? I wouldn't have thought it would be too expenive to move it to another location.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Is it quite an old boiler?

Ours is in the kitchen, I'm not sure if want one in a bedroom. They're noisy and also the carbon monoxide risk of them.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Do you love the place other than that? Maybe find out how much it would cost to move it?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Did you view our house?! Our boiler is in my wardrobe in our bedroom. The person we bought the house off is a moron, it was another one of his "bright" ideas. I have little space in my wardrobe and the noise is annoying. I know for a fact it is going to really get on my nerves when l do night shifts. Mr Erin's Dad is going to move it for us in a few months.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

In our kitchen. When you run hot water or turn the heating on it sounds like a bloody jet engine. It's awful. But it is very old!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

I had a boiler in a cupboard in my old student house. It was brand new combi boiler type thing. It didn't bother me too much at all. You could hear it click on but only if you were listening for it. I got used to it I suppose. I did have a carbon monoxide alarm in the cupboard too!

• Meltdown
    Dedicated September 2021
    Meltdown ·
    • Hide content

Ours is in the kitchen, it is a little noisy and I wouldn't want it in the bedroom.

My parents had an oil fired boiler in their spare room. they had it moved to the out building over the summer. It was noisy and fairly smelly!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Ours is in the kitchen and whilst I don't notice it so much during the day at this time of night when I'm sitting at the table and the house is in silence I might as well be sat in the middle of the runway at Heathrow airport. The carbon monoxide would scare me too.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Ours is in the bathroom!

i viewed a house recently with boiler in bedroom and we were quoted about 1200 to have it moved this quote also include other work on the central heating system too

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I grew up with a boiler in my bedroom, like mist noises you get used to it and don't hear it after a while. My student house backed onto a railway line and I soon learnt to sleep through that. Currently ours is in our utility room/conservatory

its a big job to move a boiler, can be very expensive depending in the pipe work in the house as an FYI.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Mine is in my spare room. Was like that when I moved in. I wouldn't have chosen that location but we've never slept in there so it really doesn't bother me.

If you like everything else about the house then it is something you could look at moving??

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

Ours is in the utility room. It's fairly quiet whilst running, but when it starts up its quite noisey for the first few minutes! Our house is a new build so you would have thought it would be quiet!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Mine was "hidden" in the kitchen, in a pantry at my old house. Was really quiet.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

In our flat it was originally in the kitchen but that was in the middle of the building and when it was replaced with a combi boiler it had to go on an outside wall so was in my living room!!! We just boxed it in and never really heard it.

In the new house it is in the wardrobe of the back bedroom. Same combi boiler system so assumed it was probably easier to put it there than anywhere else.

I occasionnally hear it come on in the morning, this is often fixed by regularly bleeding the radiators to make sure the water can move through the system easily,

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Ours is in the kitchen, and is quite noisy when it's firing up.

I wouldn't want one in the bedroom personally but if the house is perfect other than that, I'd pay for it to be moved. Could you not move the room around so that it might not be so much of a disturbance?

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Mine is in a cupboard in the kitchen, which is below our bedroom. We hear the boiler come on in the morning sometimes because ours is quite loud. We have an airing cupboard in the bedroom as well which makes loads of noise when the shower comes on. We do have another room but we had to go in the smaller one because our ar$ehole neighbours keep us awake in the other room (as it is in the direction of their back garden).

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Ours is in a wardrobe type unit in the kitchen - ours is a combi-boiler and we don't hear a thing.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Our old house had the boiler in the bedroom, there was a CO2 alarm in the room. It was a very new combi boiler and hardly made any noise at all - esp as the cupboard it was in had a door so when shut you couldn't hear much. Our current house has the boiler in the kitchen and it looks about as old as me, and is so noisy I wonder whether it will actually take off and fly through the roof some days.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Ours is also in a cupboard in our bedroom, doesn't bother me or my OH although occasionally I do hear it click on and fire up but although I am a light sleeper I assume I'm actually already half awake anyway.

My friend however has the boiler in her room (she house shares with other friends) and feels pretty hard don by because she has it in her room & it wakes her up.

I really think it depends on how loud the boiler is and maybe the cupboard it's housed in.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Ours is in the garage. My mum's is in a spare bedroom. I hear it when I visit her and it comes on in the morning. Most people have their heating off during the night anyway. If it bothers you ask the seller to knock off the cost of moving it.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Haha that is what l thought when l read this post!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Ours is called a "Back Boiler" as it lives in the chimney breast behind the fire in the living room. When it comes on, it makes a loud click, click, whoosh and H says when it's on there's a low level roar or hiss.

TBH, I can't hear it (I'm deaf) and as we mostly always have the TV on and we have a clock chiming the quarters in that room too, H says he doesn't hear it anymore. It's about 10yrs old the central heating system.

In our old house, the boiler was in a cupboard in the spare bedroom, when it went faulty, water ran down our stairs likes bloody Niagara Falls.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Our boiler is soooooo big, it has it's own room.

The last house I lived in, the boiler was in a cupboard in our bedroom and it wasn't much of an issue. Having said that, I had a very loud crying baby to disturb my sleep for the majority of the time we lived there.

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

Our boiler is a Combi and pretty quiet.

It's in our bedroom and it's never woken me or O/H up, or made it difficult to get to sleep ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics