Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsKHbutterfly
Rockstar September 2014

teenager reading... suitable? :-/

MrsKHbutterfly, 4 of July of 2014 at 20:38 Posted on Planning 0 14

Good evening,
I have finally pinned down h2b to fill in the choices form from the registrar, but it means I finally have to make a decision on a reading. my eldest stepdaughter2b wants to do it, and I want to keep it light hearted and fun, and in our sense of humour so was thinking of the poem from 10 things I hate about you.

my question is, is it really suitable for a ceremony reading? and will it sound right coming from a 3rd party! :-/ xx

14 replies

Latest activity by S108HAN, 6 of July of 2014 at 11:24
  • Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Is it this?

I hate the way you talk to me
    And the way you cut your hair
    I hate the way you drive my car
    I hate it when you stare

I hate your big dumb combat boots
    And the way you read my mind
    I hate you so much that it makes me sick
    It even makes me ryhme

I hate the way you're always right
    I hate it when you lie
    I hate it when you make me laugh
    Even worse when you make me cry

I hate the way you're not around
    And the fact that you didn't call
    But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you
    Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.

If so, I don't like it.

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

I like it, it has it's place in the movie, but not at a wedding in my opinion, there's no reason a teenager couldn't read it if you really want but I think it's quite an unusual choice for a wedding ceremony.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

I must admit, in the movie it fits because the whole story is basically made around this poem. I think I would raise an eyebrow if I heard the work 'Hate' so much at a wedding, even though come full circle it's not hate at all, if that makes sence?

Theres no reason to have a full 'omg I love you so much going to gush it all out' reading but maybe something with a nicer word than hate.

• EdenNI
    Beginner December 2014
    EdenNI ·
    • Hide content

To me the message of it is liking someone almost against your better judgement or will, I wouldn't see that as appropriate for how I feel about my fiancé. But, it's your wedding and how you and your partner feel is more important!

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

You know what? you are all right!!!! i was maybe just having a moment!!! lol

i just can't find one that i like and that she will read and not turn her nose up at lol!! i will keep looking :-D

once again thank you for talking sense!!! :-D

xxxx

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

How about lyrics to a song she likes? Or I Rely On You by Hovis Presley is fun, someone posted it on another thread and I thought it would be great as a teenage reading. Or something from a book? Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr Zeuss is cool.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Miss H I can completely get what you mean, it's an awesome poem that still gets me in tears!

But I have to agree I don't think others would 'get it' Smiley sad

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

What about something by pam ayres? A lot of hers are light hearted. We had one called 'he never leaves the seat up'

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    Laura0509 ·
    • Hide content

This is my personal favourite...it's from sex and the city (Carrie Bradshaw) but no one needs to know that...It's not a funny but quite sweet and would sound lovely read by someone younger

His hello was the end of her endings,
    Her laugh was their first step down the aisle.
    His hand would be hers to hold forever,
    His forever was as simple as her smile.

An ocean couldn’t prevent it.
    A New York minute wouldn’t let it pass.
    Does the universe decide for us,
    Which love will fade and which will last.

He said she was what was missing.
    She said she instantly new.
    She was a question to be answered.
    And his answer was “I do.”

I agree with everyone on the word 'hate' although I can see why you went for it, it kind of tells a story of loving someone no matter what in a round about way Smiley smile xx

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Oooohhhh Laura! I like that one :-) not one I'd heard of which is kinda what I wanted I think :-) thank you!!! yeah the hate one is kind of one that means something to us cos we love the film but everyone else would be like "what.....the........" I was just having a mad moment I think lol xx

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    Laura0509 ·
    • Hide content

Glad you like it Smiley smile we got engaged in New York so as soon as I read it knew it had to be one of the readings...my little sister has been practising lol! Good luck with your search, I'm now looking for a more religious reading as we are supposed to have 2 :-/ xx

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

We had this but read by a 37 year old:

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sand pile at school. These are the things I learned:

Play fair.

Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.

Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.Take a nap every afternoon.When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together

Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.

Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.

And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK. Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living. Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or your work or government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world it would be if we all - the whole world - had cookies and milk at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess. And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out in the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

[Source: "ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN" by Robert Fulghum. See his web site athttp://www.robertfulghum.com/

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

We held hands at that moment and have been sticking together ever since. He'll be holding my hand next week when I give birth to our son. I hope whatever you pick you have a beautiful day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics