Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner

Teeny weeny wedding venues.

redjay999, 26 of February of 2013 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 11

My OH and I have been together for 18 years, we have a family and have decided this year we will finally get round to getting married.

We are just as in love as when we first got together, probably more so. He is my soul mate and we just want to be together for ever.

We want to slope off and do it quietly, just us and our children. So that makes a total of 7 including us and my oldest daughters partner.

We would like a venue that hosts tiny weddings like ours followed by a nice meal and by a few days accommodation.

Somewhere in the UK I think, we don't want to spend humungous amounts of money. We just want a quiet special day with our little family and a little break away.

Anyone have any suggestions, I have been googling but everything seems geared towards larger wedding parties than ours.

Thanks in advance.

11 replies

Latest activity by WickyWack, 26 of February of 2013 at 15:22
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Have you heard of/considered Little hallingbury mill? It is on the Essex/Herts border

It caters for smaller weddings (maximum capacity is around 32 I think, but that's at a squeeze)

The website doesn't do it justice, but it really is gorgeous.

There's a small garden area of outdoor space, overlooking the river. The food is lovely and the guy who runs it (Derek) is a star. We shot there last year and it was perfect.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Just a note that you will need 2 adult witness.

A lot of the "big do" wedding venues that are licence for civil weddings sometimes also run a public restaurant that is open to all and is separate to the main wedding breakfast room

You could have your civil wedding ceremony somewhere on the same day as the venue has a big wedding, just have yours a lot earlier and then have a meal in the restaurant. And as you want a few days away too why not have your wedding on a Friday and then you will have along week end away. You will still have to pay to hire the room but you may get a deal if you are slipping under another wedding on the same day.

• skinnyboyweddings
    skinnyboyweddings ·
    • Hide content

That sounds wonderfully romantic to me.

Have you seen http://www.holdsworthhouse.co.uk/index.php/weddings/ceremonies/

I haven't been here personally, but it says that it's the UK's smallest licensed wedding venue. I thought that the gardens and the gazebo looked particularly lovely.

Good luck with your search

Kate

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Hi :0) we have had a lovely couple of romantic weekends at Oxford Pasture Hall Hotel, just in the outskirts of Scarborough. Check it out under Best Western hotels. I know they are licensed for weddings, and the grounds, accommodation and food is all lovely. Happy hunting and massive congratulations on tying the not finally. Xx

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

How romantic! Your children will be very proud! My parents just renewed their wedding vows for their 30th Anniversary last year and it was great to be part of it.

I could recommend coming to Devon, maybe a bit biased but it is beautiful!

http://www.millbrookestate.co.uk/

I have also found these, they look beautiful and all have a Civil License.

http://www.uniquehomestays.com/unique/propertydetails.asp?tab=417&id=534

http://www.uniquehomestays.com/unique/propertydetails.asp?tab=416&id=470

http://www.uniquehomestays.com/unique/propertydetails.asp?tab=425&id=984

Good luck Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

You are in the lucky position of being able to pick a really nice restaurant that has a small private room. That will be lovely.

Do you have any thoughts on area at all?

• R
    Beginner
    redjay999 ·
    • Hide content

Wow thanks for all the lovely replies and suggestions.

We are in Devon.... Not far from Millbrook actually.

We are open to any location, although long traveling time eats in to your break. So realistically we should be looking at Devon, Cornwall, Somerset or Wiltshire really.

There are some lovely venues here guys, thanks. OH is on his way home from work, so we can look at some. ?

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

Awww, what a lovely story!

My OH's Aunty and Uncle sloped off to Edinburgh, had a do in a registry office then stayed in a beautiful hotel for a couple of nights. They then had a party a couple of weeks after.

Also, in the hotel I used to work out we used to have very small weddings and then we had a private room for the afterwards, it was the Swan at Southwold if you were interested.

Hope this helps. X

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

Little bit far from Southwold then!

There's loads of beautiful places down your neck of the woods, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding something.

• F
    fodenphotography ·
    • Hide content

The Red Lion in North Yorkshire is a beautiful venue for smaller weddings- Its in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales, so its a stunning locations too- It also makes for a great place to go away for a few days to 'get away from it all'- a great family location with plenty of activities and places to see as well... the best of luck with your search!

London Photographer

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Most hotels have many event spaces/private dining areas catering for small parties, Just bare this in mind when looking at websites as they probably wont be advertised in the standard wedding package section.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.vicarageboutiquehotel.co.uk/downloads/Package-Runaway-Bride.pdf - This place is lovely

https://www.thewordsworthhotel.co.uk/our-events/lakedistrictweddingvenuegrasmere/

Try googling - runaway bride wedding packages - there's quite a few small, intimate wedding packages for just the two of you out there

WW x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics