Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

shoegal01
Beginner October 2010

Teeth Veneers

shoegal01, 22 May, 2012 at 11:40 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

Has anyone had these done?

I want 4 veneers done to make my smile nicer. I have heard good things and bad things about them.

Has anyone had them done or similar?

18 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 22 May, 2012 at 17:05
  • Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I have a veneer on one of my teeth that discoloured and died when I was younger. It is about 10 years old now and although it looks fine, I am very cautious of eating. Because it is at the front (not front two, one to the left) biting into things like french bread and toast scares me.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'd love veneers, didn't realise you could only get a few done and not just a whole set? Are they not stupid expensive though?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't.

The good ones (where you look like you have fabulous rather than fake teeth) are very expensive and then you have to factor in the cost of upkeep for the years ahead. Also, I'm a terrible wuss when it comes to the dentist so would steer clear of any unnecessary dentistry.

I think the key has to be doing plenty of research.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Doesnt the dentist also grind your teeth right down in order to fit the veneer?

This is what scares me, you are ruining perfectly healthy teeth.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, but considered it. Ended up with orthodontic work and some internal bleaching to whiten a discoloured tooth.

As others have said, the cost to make them look natural is immense. Depending on how many teeth you show when you smile, you may need several more doing than you realise. Veneers never match the tooth next to them - aside from colour differences, they can also look blocky (less translucent).

And, you have to remove perfectly healthy tooth structure to have them. Not too many dentists keen on that, unless you're paying Tom Cruise prices.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I went to the hygienist this morning and that was stressful enough.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is pretty much why I have major reservations (aside from £££s). My teeth are healthy enough, just brown and fang like!

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Its 5K for 4 teeth including whitening.

The receptionist had them and they looked good - i couldnt tell which were veneers.

Im not fussed about the pain or cost..........more that i wouldnt be able to get my teeth back if i didnt like them!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly! So would it really be worth it?

You're teeth arent that bad...?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I don't know anything about this but for that kind of money couldn't you get invisible braces and pro whitenening?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Shoegal, what's the problem with your teeth? Wonky? Discoloured? Chipped/broken?

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

What is it you don't like about your own teeth? is it straightening? Personally I would go down all avenues possible before considering veneers. I did Invisalign to straighten my teeth before the wedding and was thrilled with them, would highly recommend it.

I had braces all throughout my teenage years and had lovely straight teeth but then when my wisdom teeth came through they went crooked at the front and I had become so self conscious I started putting my hand in front of my mouth when I smiled. So pleased I did it as had put it off for a long time.

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

I have a chipped front tooth that was fixed when i was younger that i hate so i would have to have that re veneered properly.

The only veneer in multiples of 2 so it looks cymetrical (sp).

My teeth are kinda wonky and fangy.

I dont want the Katie Price look - i would want as natural as possible.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I'd be scared that they'd be too big for my mouth and I'd end up talking like Dennis Waterman.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Do your canines sit ahead of the natural curve of your teeth? If so, a brace would really help here. I had both Invisalign and traditional traintracks (albeit white ones that didn't show from across a room). The traintracks were fabulous but my teeth needed to move loads. If you only have minor positional movements, an invisible system like Invisalign or Clearstep would be sufficint.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I had a chipped front tooth (only the corner) and had it fixed very simply with no veneers. Invisible mending! (no idea how, the dentist just did it while I sat back and relaxed!) Was about £120 (private) I think.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

AKA dental bonding!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics