Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pittabre

Teeth whitening

Pittabre, 13 February, 2013 at 14:18 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Has anyone had this done?

My Ex alwasy had a slight yellowish tint to his teeth and said his dentist said that his teeth were really healthy and advised against teeth whitening.

Lies or a touch of truth?

16 replies

Latest activity by nanny plum, 13 February, 2013 at 23:31
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Some people have naturally yellower teeth than others - it's genetic. It usually bears no relationship to the health of your teeth.

Teeth whitening dehydrates your teeth, which can temporarily weaken them. Very few dentists will recommend it* unless there's an obvious cosmetic issue.

*Of course, they'll do it if you pay them.

I tried it before the wedding - home bleaching in plastic trays (well, my retainers). I lasted two nights, the second one on codeine, before I gave up. It WRECKED! Not so much constant pain but things called "zingers", which are entirely unpredictable in timing and are a few second's worth of such intense nerve pain that I wanted to fall over. Over the course of the two nights and intervening days (and a day or so after), I had maybe twenty of these (the rest of the time, no problem) and it drove me to tears. You just don't know when it's going to happen.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have enough mouth pain without contributing more, I'll give that a miss then!

On my two front top teeth I have a thin brown horizontal line, about half way down, which to me is very noticeable and I've had it since childhood. When I met my Dad when I was 21 he made a comment about it and suggested it was because I drank too much cola. Not sure how much cola I drank as a child but if I drank enough as a young child to get it this is another thing my mother needs a kick in the pants for. I pretty much stopped drinking cola during both pregnancies (didn't like the taste whilst pregnant) and it didn't go.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

I have heard that to be true - that all they do is remove the top layer which leaves teeth more suspectible to damage. I was thinking tippex, whaddya think??

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I had mine done for the wedding - LA Smile treatment.

I have really sensitive teeth & gums and it was honestly pain free and a great job. I top it up occassionally with them colgate crest teeth whitening strips and I find them to make my teeth & gums more sensitive than the laser whitening was.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What age? Sounds more like a tetracycline stain to me...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I've used those Crest Supreme strength whitening strips and I think they work. They're just a right faff and I tend to dribble when I have them on. Sexy.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Before teens. But I would have had to have taken it wouldn't I? AFAIK my mother never bothered taking me to the Drs.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

So that's two votes for colgate stuff? although not sexy whilst on?

ETA one for colgate, one for crest strips.

<I will learn to read and retain information. I will learn to read and retain infromation. I will learn and ... oo pretty picture>

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I polish my teeth with bicarbonate of soda after I've used proper toothpaste. Who knows if it works or not.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've heard that one more often than others. <stupid icon> it makes my skin feel funny about rubbing the powder against my teeth, otherwise I would def try that one asap.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine is obsessed with whiter teeth and has tried most things and spent alot of cash in the process. She swears by the crest white strips. I used them before the wedding and there was a difference quite quickly. No pain either!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I had it done professionally before the wedding, despite Footlong advising me not to.

Never again, zingers are so painful!

• PinkLady3
    Beginner September 2014
    PinkLady3 ·
    • Hide content

I used to work as a receptionist at a dental practice and had my teeth whitened for free. My teeth weren't yellow beforehand but we had to look the part and all that.

I was 19 when I used the trays (my teeth were sparkling white) - 4 years later and no top ups my teeth are still pretty white, they look v v v white in photos. x

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I had it done professionally. I don't think it made much difference, but I do have very white teeth anyway. In fact, I only went because it was buy one course get one half price and my H is conscious of the colour of his teeth. My sister also has very white teeth despite being a smoker, I didn't know it was genetic (should have really!) but that would make sense.

I have never had sensitive teeth, but then were terrible after treatment. I wouldn't advise it if you hate tooth pain.

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

I am a dental nurse so I get my whitening for free but I find it so painful I gave up! OH tried it too and was too painful for him(I got him some so he could understand my pain as he didn't think it could cause so much pain!) I used the bleach you put in trays at night! My teeth have never been sensitive before I whitened them, we don't recommend it to anyone!!

I have really expensive stuff just sitting in the fridge and quite yellow teeth but still won't dare touch it!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I had zoom whitening . They coat your teeth and a machine shines some sort of light ? on each tooth . Would never recommend it . Very very painful and could not finish the session . I have spoken to people who have tried different kinds of whitening and not had the same pain but I would try the crest strips . Thinking about those "zingers' still makes me shudder .

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics