Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

chicken82
Beginner May 2009

teeth whitening

chicken82, 19 of February of 2009 at 15:26 Posted on Planning 0 7

My dentist quoted me £200 for teeth whitening today - and i cant afford it. So, i could either get a home kit or her suggestion was to go to the hygenist who can give them a fab clean up for £45 (she also said i didnt really need it anyway, so at least thats something!)

I was just wondering if anyone has used a home kit? Ive been reading up on 'dr georges teeth whitening kit', apparently on ophra winfrey etc and in brides mag.....very good price too.

7 replies

Latest activity by ashleysummer, 19 of November of 2021 at 21:17
  • Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Don't bother. I looked into all this before my wedding. My dentist charges £350 for whitening. Home products won't cut the mustard because they're legally not allowed to put the same amount of chemical in that your dentist can use. There's unlikely to be any difference, and if there is one it will be negligable. You're better off with sustained use of a strengthing toothpaste such as Sensodyne Pro-namel or Arm & Hammer.

• N
    Beginner November 2008
    Nutsy40 ·
    • Hide content

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_dmptZUKQ5fHealthBeautyQ5fDentalCareQ5fRL?_nkw=optident+gel&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=tooth+whitening+gel&_osacat=0

Hi Lucy,

Before my wedding my mum had very badly stained teeth and she went to dentist and paid £300 pounds fot the gum sheaild to be moulded to her mouth and the gel to whiten her teeth.........the results were staggering!!!!!

My teeth were not as bad but, as I smoke they were discoloured.

I had used the brilliant white kits from boots etc with the moulded gum sheilds you heat in boiling water and mould to your mouth. These moulds were no where near as snug a fit as the dentist ones my mum had, but I borrowed some of her gel and the results were fantastic using the moulded sheild I had from boots kit.

So I went onto ebay, link above, ordered the gel for £25 and used with the boots gum sheild for a couple of weeks.........amazing results.

H2B was so impressed with the results I ordered the thermomould gum sheilds off of ebay for him and he also used the gel, but thats our secret, lmoa!

Would def recommend as its the same product the dentists use and a fraction of price.

HtH

H x

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Be very careful if you decide to do this. As I said above, it's not legal to sell the same product dentists use because of the strength of the chemical involved. If you bought this, you'd be doing it illegally.

• M
    MsSunil ·
    • Hide content

Ive always had really good teeth, bright white and no fillings. Then when I got pregnant different matter.... my teeth bled terrible like I had pulled one out! They went really yello really quickly and had red marks running through my gums! Dentist said it was to be expected when pregnant. So when I was done being preggers I hated my teeth, I looked like I smoked which I dont, so I bought a few kits. I used Blanx toothpaste and mouthwash, and its worked amazing!! My teeth are gleaming, and I am disgusted when I look at pregnancy photos my teeth were so bad!! I have crest strips, which have brill reviews, but im waiting to test them out closer to the wedding :-), I will try find some before and afters of my toots to show! xx

• N
    Beginner November 2008
    Nutsy40 ·
    • Hide content

https://www.bdbs.co.uk/the_society.html

WoW Mel you could have knocked me over with a sledge hammer re the legality of this.

I read up on link above and it seems you can only use 0.1% legally so most of the dentists I know are breaking the law............food for thought eh

Lucy I suppose like most things its up to you to decide but if you don't think you need it that badly a good tooth whitening paste will be just fine...........he there is always photo enhancements for the wedding pics!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-165248/Teeth-whitening-risk.html

• M
    MsSunil ·
    • Hide content

Eurgh..Please Ignore the pregnancy fat, the photo was not long after the birth haha, I have blue eyes on top photie as I like to make a lil change on a night out :-) i trust you can tell which is the before and after :-) xx

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

As a dental practice manager, i can assure you that dentists are not illegally tooth whitening. there are several different bleaches for tooth whitening and dentists should be using hydrogen peroxide for 1 hour bleaching each day or carbemide peroxide. The percentage that is quoted as the maximum to use is a gray area, no dentist has ever been prosecuted or taken to court for tooth whitening however beauticians and hair salons etc have as the 1984 dentists act states that only a dentist can carry out tooth whitening.

crest white strips can be hit or miss as they dont fit uniformly against your teeth so can give a patchy result.

i've just been reading an article in dentistry magazine today that shows that using carbemide peroxide to whiten teeth reduces plaque and has been shown to remove decay causing bacteria!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics