Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bowski

Tell me about prostate cancer

Bowski, 8 July, 2009 at 16:55 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

My dad has had the blood test for it as he's 60 and his levels have come back 7 (anything between 5 - 10 needs investigating) Today he's been to the hospital and they've had a feel and say they can feel something so he has to go in 2 weeks and have a biospy.

Is that likley to be it then, does the fact they can feel something mean it's cancer? Is it likley to have spread, is prostate cancer a really agressive cancer?

I really don't know what to do with this information. My mum isn't helping as she wants me to go round there and take their mind off it, I CAN'T TAKE THEIR MIND OFF IT, HE'S MY DAD AND I'M JUST AS WORRIED AS THEY ARE!

Mr B does his best to be supportive but all he does is goes on about how his dad had septacemia 10 years ago and almost died, so he knows how I feel.

I just want to know what to expect as I get the feeling if it is bad I'll have to be strong for everyone when really I'm falling apart already.

5 replies

Latest activity by louised, 8 July, 2009 at 20:26
  • texasgirl26
    Beginner
    texasgirl26 ·
    • Hide content

I think if caught early PC is treatable.

My dad was diagnosed 8 years ago. His diagnosis was accidental. He was in hospital in a coma with brain damage, when a doctor happened to do a PSA test and his level was 69. He had already been in hospital 7 months by that point, and so it had spread just outside the prostrate.

We were told that normally they would remove the prostate, but he couldn't withstand an operation. He was started on hormone injections, one every 3 months. (Zoladex)

They brought his levels down from 69 to 0.01 immediately. That lasted around 5 years, then his levels rose again to 15. Tablets have been introduced in addition to the injections and it is back to 0.01.

To be honest, we sometimes forget he has cancer because of his brain damage and paralysis. However I just wanted you to know that it can be dealt with, and just because he has a raised PSA doesn't mean it is cancer, it could be an enlarged prostate (my Dad had this years ago).

Even if it does turn out to be cancer, there are lots of treatment options. My dad's had spread and 8 years later he is still with me.

Take care, my thoughts are with you.

TG

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

?

As far as I know (but I'm no expert) prostate cancer is one of the least aggresive cancers going and for a lot of people they won't even treat it. My Grandad had some issues with his prostate several years ago now and they said it's far more likely he will die of something else before the cancer has any real effect on his life (apart from the increased toilet visits) and as such it is monitored annually and if there are any significant changes his treatment plan will be re-evalulated. It's got to be over 5 years since the initial diagnosis and nothing's changed although he is older than your Dad.

Is there any chance of going to the appointment so you understand the situation fully too?

Don't feel you have to be strong, it's unfair of your Mum to put all that burden on you, please let it out if you need to x

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

Thanks TG, Thats good to know.

If your Dad's levels were 69 and he's still here then there is hope if they're at 7.

I just don't know what to do with myself, it's all unknown at the moment and I think thats the worst thing.

Hannah I'm, actually on holiday the day he has the biopsy, but I doubt I'd be allowed to go with them, I've known he had the higher blood test results for over a week now but only because my mum secretly told me as my dad didn't want me to know.

I now have to work out how to tell my mum I'm not going to go round and take their mind off things and be made to feel like I'm letting them down when I need to deal with this too.

• P
    Beginner September 2004
    pudontour ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bowski - firstly, have some hugs - have been in the same situation as you. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer on his 60th birthday, following a biopsy. The waiting was the hardest thing. My boss offered me time off to visit them (I was living 200 miles away) but I couldn't really do anything useful for them so didn't rush down to see them.

My dad had oral hormone therapy to shrink his prostate and then 13 weeks of radiotherapy to treat the cancer. He was clear for five years and then it returned. He's now being treated with three monthly hormone implants, which he's learned to inject himself (!) as he travels alot. His PSA level has been below 0.1 for a couple of years and he's doing fine.

I believe that watchful waiting is now more preferred than removal/radiotherapy but not 100% sure on that.

From an emotional point of view, my dad refused to talk about his cancer for months after his diagnosis - my mum had to talk to people about it - and then he couldn't stop talking about it. It's also possible that he had a couple of periods of depression, directly related to his two diagnoses, but he wouldn't seek help at the time.

Have a look at the prostate cancer website - useful for practical info about the disease. You're 100% right, you also need time to come to terms with it all too. Being on the end of a phone for your parents is probably just as useful as being there with them.

Hope you're ok xxx.

• Missus Jolly
    Beginner October 2004
    Missus Jolly ·
    • Hide content

Oh Bowski, first random internet weirdy hugs. Secondly fingers crossed that the results actually come back ok, that is still possible. But if they don't PC is really very treatable with early diagnosis. I have also seen some incredibly positive news over the last couple of months about research and drug trials for PC. Take care.

• louised
    Beginner October 2010
    louised ·
    • Hide content

Hi. Im a radiotherapist.

Try not to worry about your dad (easier said than done I know) Prostate cancer is extreemly slow growing and a PSA of 7 is still quite low (Ive treated patients with a PSA of 400 before). If the cancer is caught early enough (a PSA of 7 is early) then your dad will probably be treated with hormones such as Zoladex injections. If its too advanced for just the hormones he will be treated with hormones and radiotherapy. In my experience prostate patients are very rarely treated with chemotherapy (so no nasty side effects) and the side effects for radiotherapy are very localised and most prostate patients continue to work during treatment.

If you have got any questions you want to ask me then feel free and have a ((hug))

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics