Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2013

Thai food for wedding breakfast

helzbelz200, 19 June, 2012 at 18:29 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi

Just wondering if anyone out there has had / planing to have Thai food for their wedding breakfast? We are thinking of having 2 course Thai food served to the tables with Thai canapés with the reception drinks.

Does anyone know of any caterers that provide Thai food in the Surrey area? We are getting married in Hampton Court House, Surrey on 13th July 2013!

Thanks

16 replies

Latest activity by Bride to be Becky from Derbyshire, 21 January, 2013 at 19:24
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Sorry don't know any in your area, one of our venue's approved caterers was thai and it sounded great. Very unique. But we decided to go for something a little more plain and simple as we know lots of our friends aren't keen on Chinese/Thai from previous experience of trying to organise meals!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Not going to be any help, just wanted to say that it's nice seeing someone do something a bit different. I might be biased as I love Thai food but I'd be pleasantly surprised if I went to a wedding with Thai food!!

S x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Sounds awesome love Thai food:

A quick google search I found these

http://www.linthaicatering.com/

http://www.saigonnights.co.uk/contact_us.html

http://www.payathaicooking.co.uk/thai-catering.htm

Not used any of these myself tho.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Personally the worst thing I could be given would be a Thai green curry or the like as I detest coconut. Even the smell makes me heave. Would you have choices for people with nut allergies etc? Apart from that it would be nice to eat something different at a wedding.

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

Personally it would be a no-go for me as I have a severe nut allegy and the one and only time I had thai I ended up being rushed into hospital!!! I wish someone had told me what satay sauce was lol......

I think it's nice to have something different at a wedding though, especially when it is something personal for the B&G.

• maidenheadgirl
    Beginner May 2013
    maidenheadgirl ·
    • Hide content

Love Thai food but our venue will not let us bring in outside caterers or offer much of a choice however their AA rosette restaurant is catering so can't complain!

My favours however will reflect my heritage and I am making home made satay sauce and chili sauce for those who like it spicy!

I think its a brilliant idea Smiley winking If you need anyone to taste ???

• maidenheadgirl
    Beginner May 2013
    maidenheadgirl ·
    • Hide content

Thai food has a wide variety of dishes and influences - what we get in restaurants and what the local restaurants serve will differ in taste, ingredients and heat.

A fresh stir fry with chicken or seafood using ginger, garlic and fish sauce will be considerably lighter on the palate compared to the standard green curry for example.

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely and unusual choice! I bet you'll have loads of pleasantly surprised guests. Most people expect dry chicken and mushroom risotto for weddings, so they'll love this!

My little input is just that you might not need a Thai caterer per se, but just one that can do different kinds of food. Food Events, who are doing ours, do all kinds of cuisine and their stuff's amazing! I remember them telling us about doing Thai food, as well as Lebanese and all sorts of interesting things. We're having a rustic Italian banquet, for example Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the encouragement, it's good to hear people thoughts on it. My fiancé is the one driving Thai food, he was brought up n East Asia and has a Thai food obsession! I am worried some guests won't like it, but then again I guess your never going to please all 120 guests are you?!

Good point about nut allergies, will have to check that.

I contacted LinThaiCaterers, they seemed really nice, going to arrange a tasting with her - thanks for the help with that!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I love this idea!! Thai food is my favourite.

We had West Indian food and everyone loved it apart from my Nan who we just had 'plain' chicken for.

• T
    Beginner January 2012
    Thai15 ·
    • Hide content

Hi im new and really wanting to have thai food at our wedding aswell! Its our favourite food and we really want it to be about us and people experience a bit of the foods we love! We are also getting married in surrey, was wondering if you had and tastings with any companies or any companies that you could recommend?

Would be good to hear from anyone.

thank you

V

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I shot a Thai wedding and although I believe the caterers were in house, they did have a yummy selection of Thai food, I think there was a fish curry, they also offered bento boxes with sushi for the centre of the table starters! I was pleasantly surprised to see a different kind of menu.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Vera67

Great to hear there is another Thai enthusiast out there. Well I can highly recommend Lin Thai caterer, this is the lady we are using for our wedding. She is based in Camberley but willing to travel (our wedding is 20 miles away) in Surrey.

She is quick to respond to emails, we arranged a free tasting session with her, and the food was AMAZING - seriously one of the best thai green currys I've ever tasted. So we booked her. She is serving us a 2 course sit down meal for 120 guests and canapés to go with the reception drinks. Her prices are very reasonable, so much cheaper than other catering companies we looked into.

Her website is: www.linthaicatering.co.uk

If you need any other info feel free to email me

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

This thread brings together two other threads I have left comments on on this forum. One was about photographs of people eating(which I normally think is a bad idea) and the other was regarding Knebworth as a venue....

I photographed a wedding at Knebworth a few years ago and they had been requested to provide Thai food for the guests. The couple had a special relationship with Thailand and wanted it to be part of their wedding day....although as a surprise to the guests. This was the first time Knebworth had done this and as I was well known to the management team, they contacted me as they had brought in Thai Chefs and had Thai centre pieces made for the tables. They had asked the couple if it was ok to use images on their site and then approached me to see if I would help(which I did once I knew the couple were happy)

The couple were "extra evil" as they only provided chop sticks and wanted me to photograph their guest struggling........they did though intend to relent and give forks to those that needed them.....

The food went down a storm and was well received.....

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I got married my FIL arranged a steel band......it was a fantastic decision because the place rocked. No West Indian food though!!!!!☹️

• T
    Beginner January 2012
    Thai15 ·
    • Hide content

Hi helzbelz! Thank you for your recommendation! I will definatly look the company up. Thank you all for your information and advise. We would just go back to thailand and have our wedding there if we didnt have such big families! Its an amazing country and the food is lovely!

Its good that other people have seen this before as i really wasnt sure. It definatly will be unexpected from the guests but i think and hope they will be pleasantly suprised with it. Hopefully it works out. Still going to search other caterers aswell but thai is defo our number one Smiley smile

Thank you guys

V x

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    Bride to be Becky from Derbyshire ·
    • Hide content

Hi I would love this but unfortunately our venue has a set menu to choose from.

we went to a wedding December 2011 and they had lots of different hot dishes for evening buffet including green Thai curry, red Thai curry, chilli con carni, rice, and jacket potatoes .it was lovely.

they also did more normal food sandwiched etc but all the currys got eaten and some sandwiches were left over.

id love to go to another wedding with food like that again !

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics