Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lousammi
Beginner June 2017

Thank you speech drama....

lousammi, 20 of May of 2016 at 12:09 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hey everyone!

I am having thank you speech dramas. And of course it involves the future in laws...

We are opting for quite a chilled day and don’t plan traditional speeches. We are simply going for both myself and H2B giving a joint, fairly short, thank you speech to our guests.

The only issue with this is…his family.

For my family, we could write a million things to say thank you for. His family on the other hand (Parents, brother and sister-in-law) we don’t really have a great deal to say about and we are really struggling to think of something that isn’t generic, awkward or matches the same level of affection we would show to my family.

My h2b is divorced and has four children from his previous marriage. His parents never really approved of this and although we all get along fine and they have welcomed me into the family, there’s always the elephant in the room.

His brother and sister-in-law are also still very close to his ex-wife and choose to invite her to family events over us. (As an example, at his brothers recent birthday, they invited my h2b’s ex wife to the party instead of us. In fact we only knew of it as my h2b dropped a birthday card in).

I really struggle with this as my family are very close and loyal and would never dream of doing the above. We know we can’t leave them out of the speech as they are family but we also have absolutely no idea what to say!

“Heyyyy bro, thanks for all the times you’ve not invited me and my new wife to family events” ?

Have any of you been in a similar situation? Do you have any wording advice?

5 replies

Latest activity by lousammi, 21 of May of 2016 at 18:39
  • E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I would just keep it brief and thank all the families for their support and love throughout the years. You said you're not having formal speeches so there's no reason you need to go into great detail and single anyone out. Why not write a heartfelt letter to your parents and give it to them before the ceremony if you have specific things you want to say.

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great idea, I agree with MrsP2be86. Keep it short and sweet and do something personal for your family.

I feel for you though, family politics is a nightmare!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I was going to say the same thing. Buy or make a nice card and write a heatfelt messages to everyone you want to thank for something. Given them out the day before or morning of the wedding. Obviously you don't have to bother with people for who you would be dredging the barrel or outright lying! Then in the speech just say thank you to all the people who have helped make this day wonderful - we arent going to go into detail but you all know who you are! We love you all. They will know whom they are because will have had your letter/card already. If oh family wonder whether that includes them then let them wonder I say.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Must say I find it very hypocritical thatmhis family don't invite him to family things preferring to invite his ex wife yet will be coming to his wedding!

• lousammi
    Beginner June 2017
    lousammi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this idea, thank you! Never even occurred to me to write letters

• lousammi
    Beginner June 2017
    lousammi ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Jayne, I think writing a personal message in a card or letter is definitely the way to go.

(And don't even get me started on the hypocrisy of it, I'd quite happily not invite his brother ??)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics