Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowery the Grouch
Beginner December 2007

The anti-imodium feeling on here

Flowery the Grouch, 1 of July of 2008 at 13:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 36

I've noticed a huge anti-Imodium feeling on here. Whenever anyone says they have a D&V bug (known around here as dieting and vommerhea) the advice is generally "don't take Imodium. your body is trying to get rid of something, let it get rid of it naturally, don't bung it up".

I can see the logic to that, and understand where people are coming from, but is it grounded in any medical fact?

Every time i have had sustained squittage (ie not a one off attack) I have taken imodium. Not immediately, usually after around the 3rd/4th "loose bowel movement", when i know it isn't just a one off. And i have never had ill effects. It's always made me feel a lot better. Eased the stomach pains, stopped the churning, stopped the trots and let my bum-hole recover to see another day. So whatever my body was trying to get rid of it hasn't seemed to mind holding onto until i could do a nice, normal poo a day or two later.

36 replies

Latest activity by bobbly1, 1 of July of 2008 at 16:12
  • Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

Is it wrong that I take it every weekend my boyfriend stays so that I don't have to poo when he's there?? ?

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

That stuff never works for me. If I need blocking I eat a banana or drink fresh OJ.

Sparks are you serious? You can't poo if your boyfriend is at your house?

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? probably

I'll happily take Immodium but only after say a day of squits, or after a few trips to the loo. I figure my body is squitting for a reason but once the toilet paper starts to hurt my botty then it's time to take something ?

• Shortie
    Dedicated December 2004
    Shortie ·
    • Hide content

I took some immodium on my wedding day to stop my IBS and nerves from making me go during the ceremony. The next time I managed to go was 10 days later! I haven't taken it since!

Evil, evil immodium.

• Jo.1981
    Beginner October 2008
    Jo.1981 ·
    • Hide content

I have heard of some people with terrible IBS that take quite a few in a day and it will most likely eventually stop working. I know myself when my IBS is bad I have taken it but only if I know I can't be ill. If I do have a stomach bug I wouldn't take it as I agree with the your body is trying to get something out of it's system train of thought.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

? Sparks, you nutter.

I am anti-imodium - in fact I've never taken it in my life. Why waste a perfectly good weight loss opportunity in the form of a lovely D&V bug? But then I'm anti-medication generally.

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content

I dont think they ever give immodium type drugs in hospitals, only ever rehydration therapy.

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Noooooooooooooooooo! Never! What if he hears/smells? I would die!!!!!!!!!

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

and what if you move in with him? are you just going to get bigger and bigger, blocked upo with poo until you become like a poo-airship?

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are so funny! I used to be like you until an ex told me he thought it was freakish that I wouldn't do a perfectly normal bodily function infront or around him.

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably ?

Anyway, only been seeing him 2 months. He still thinks I am perfect and never fart, burp, have bad breath, spots or bad hair days ?

• E
    Beginner April 2007
    Easter ·
    • Hide content

I had a D&V bug last month (mostly the D part to be honest). I went to see the doctor after 5 days - he told me not to take Immodium for the reasons the OP mentioned.

It took that particular bug 2 and a half weeks to work it's way out of my system so it must have been a bit of a persistant one.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i take it you're never planning to have children with this guy then? ?

what did you do when you were married? go and poo in the mcdonalds toilets or something?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

is he in for a shock ?

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to be the same. I would stay at my OH's all weekend and never poo. Then one night I had a dose of very noisy D&V at about 4am. I crept back into the bedroom praying he hadn't heard a thing and had slept through. I thought I'd got away with it until he started sniggering and saying 'What on earth was that?'. I was mortified but it meant that a normal poo was nothing in comparison ?

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't work for me! If my body wants to get rid of something there is no stopping it!

• Diamond Star Halo
    Beginner October 2004
    Diamond Star Halo ·
    • Hide content

I have only taken it when I've had a very bad bout of D&V, lasting a few days. And I would probably take it if I had diarrhoea and had an important thing on that I couldn't miss. I don't really see the point with most D&V bugs tbh - they don't tend to last long anyway.

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I waited until at least a year before I farted/burped in front of him. I never, ever pooed in front of him. After a year I would wait until he was out of the house to poo. When we got married we had a house with 3 bathrooms, so it wasn't a problem.

I thought I was normal and all girls tried to stay perfect for ages. He's only recently seen me without make-up. He didn't run away which was surprising!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But that's just the bit I don't really have time for. I've been advised to take immodium by a GP, so it seems they are divided on the topic too.

When it gets to the stage where there is nothing left to come out, and your gut is doing it's own version of dry heaving The amount of comfort you can get from two immodium tablets is unbelievable. ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

A mecis view would be good on here actually. i never take it, because psychologically i want the demon to be out, not contained within.

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content

I'm no medic, but I did work for a long time for Boots as a pharmacy assistant. We were told by the pharmacist to discourage people from buying it, precisely for the reasons stated... if your body wants to get it out in a hurry, it ain't good to keep it in!

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

I'm the same as Sparkley - when I first got together with MrK I lived with him at his parents house for a month or so - I never pooed at his house - I was freakishly scared that he would hear me, and even worse what if his mum and dad heard me?

I couldn't poo at work either so I had to wait until I'd visit my mum - run into the house and straight into the loo ?

When we moved in together I used to sneak home to poo before I went to meet him at work. I ended up with really bad piles so the first time I plucked up the courage to go whilst he was in the house, I screamed out in pain so loudly that he panicked, banged on the door and tried to open it from the outside to check I was ok. ?

I still only fart in front of him when it's necessary. As in either I can't make it to another room quick enough or its slipped out and wasn't the quiet one I intended it to be ?

As an aside - why is it MrK finds it perfectly normal to fart in front of me (to the point that he actually lifts a bum cheek off the chair to do it) but whenever I accidentally fart its disgusting and I get told it's not attractive?!

• S
    Beginner January 2006
    seraphina ·
    • Hide content

It's a godsend when you've got an attack of the squits and you're about to get on a 12 hour longhaul flight...

I don't have a problem with it, although I probably won't take it if I know I can be within reach of a toilet when D+V strikes.

• L
    Beginner
    Lady Gooner ·
    • Hide content

I take it for IBS and it's wonderful, I can go out of the house without constant worrying where the next loo might be, also removes the horror of having to use public toliets.

Medics seem divided on this. My ex had very bad food poisoning and he was advised to take it. I questioned this and I got a logical answer. The D&V is a symptom of the problem, your immune system has to deal with it, so it's not getting rid of something it's a symptom. It's a bit like having a runny nose with a cold, it's not getting rid of anything but a symptom, so stopping it running will not make things worse.

Some doctors still seem against it, so it's all very divided.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

It basically paralyses your gut (to a certain extent, anyway) - so whilst it generally works it can often work too well! I've had giardia and all sorts and been advised not to take it unless absolutely necessary (e.g. if I have to travel). If the problem isn't caused by bacteria (as with IBS), there isn't the same problem with taking it as far as I understand.

• jaz
    Beginner
    jaz ·
    • Hide content

I'd take it if I had to go out, otherwise I don't mind nature taking it's course if I'm at home all day anyway.

I can't poo near H. He laughs at all my tricks to "stop" him being near me/hearing anything blah blah. I am a freak. I also could never do it in school.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

shit break! ?

• HaloHoney
    Beginner July 2007
    HaloHoney ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Waaaaaah that's going for a McSh!t in this house. ?

If challenged by a Johnny No-Stars staff member and you say you will buy food and then don't, that's known as a McSh!t with lies ??

• jaz
    Beginner
    jaz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Waah I know. I also had a phase of worrying about doing it in our empty house in case burglars had got in and knew what I was doing. I'm nearly over that now.

Thankfully mr jaz kindly discussed my poo worries at a social gathering recently so I'm trying my best to overcome them [mortified icon]

• vicbic
    Beginner September 2003
    vicbic ·
    • Hide content

I would happily take it if I had something unavoidable to do. Otherwise, I'm definitely of the opinion, better out than in.

That said, If I have D&V and feel crap, I have some Collis Brown. Lord knows what it does, but it makes you feel better straightway. ??

• E
    Beginner August 2008
    Els09/08/08 ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't live without it!! I'm sure I'll be taking half a pack on my wedding day to control my IBS troubles! But I wouldn't take it if I had genuine squits as opposed to psychologically induced ones, though I believe there are alternatives that actually draw the bad stuff out the colon and into the bum brick, whilst blocking you up. That must be fun to pass out!!!

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    carolinabena ·
    • Hide content

no i wouldn't, but i'm taking so much codeine atm chance would be a fine thing.

sparks i'm impressed, i think... poor mr bena, i wouldn't poo in front of him but he is generally in the house. considering where we live it would be a drive of about 10 miles to get to a supermarket or maccy d's. pooing in public toilets much worse IMO.

am i too drugged up or did anyone else try and suss whether the title was hinting at something else? i was pondering whether it was something to do with a sh ite atmosphere (which i don't think there is!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics