Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner July 2014

The Blazing Donkey, Ham - WORRIED!

FutureMrsA23, 18 February, 2013 at 11:00 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi

I am new to this site after getting engaged to my partner on Boxing Day.

We went to view wedding venues at the weekend. We feel in love with The Blazing Donkey as it had rooms, away from the hustle/bustle and would be very intimate. We put down monies to hold a date and would need to give the rest of the deposit by tomorrow.

I have come across 50/50 reviews on TripAdvisor and a really bad one on here. We are now really worried about it.

Has anyone or do you know of anyone having a good wedding here?

Your comments would be much appreciated!

A very concerned

FutureMrsA

12 replies

Latest activity by *Funky*, 18 February, 2013 at 14:57
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

How bad were the bad reviews, was it like chaotic disaster bad or like my fork wasn't polished enough to my liking bad?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I would almost always ignore bad reviews on Tripadvisor - they are usually too extreme and often laughable. However, the sheer number of them (they outnumber the massively positive, sometimes planted, excellent reviews) would worry me enough to think there's something wrong here.

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

I'm from ramsgate and have been to 2 weddings there. Staff are rude and food was awful.

Sorry xx

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a very good comment, as I do know some venues very well and when I read some of the trip adviser reviews I just cannot recognise the venue with the review, However if the review on here is from another bride then take more notice of that.

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kitcat10210 ·
    • Hide content

I've read the really bad review on here, and the ones on trip advisor.

To be perfectly honest, i would run as far as i could in the opposite direction.

They may have changed managers and things may have changed since then, but do you really want to take that risk and possibly end up going through a similar situation to the other bride? I know I wouldnt be willing to risk it.

• F
    Beginner July 2014
    FutureMrsA23 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your posts. It is the same manager as its a family run business which has been passed down. On Trip Advisor, the majority have been guests at weddings or staying for the weekend. But then there are good ones from the couple themselves. It's sooo confusing.

There was a major post on here from 2010 and it seems that recently the wedding planner has changed.

He said that the deposit is non-refundable. We've put £1,000 down already.

So wished I read the reviews before going ahead!

Argh!

• F
    Beginner July 2014
    FutureMrsA23 ·
    • Hide content

I thought this as well. But some are in relation to food and waiter service - which I think is key.
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Perhaps the bride and groom got the best service on the day, whilst the guests were left with the dodgy waiters etc? Maybe that combinded with the excitement bubble of getting married may have made them not see the bad service. They may have eaten much either! Sorry that's not what you need to hear...

• F
    Beginner July 2014
    FutureMrsA23 ·
    • Hide content

I have decided to contact them direct to voice our concerns before we go any further or sign the agreement.

I found this: http://english-wedding.com/2012/05/50s-inspired-wedding-at-the-blazing-donkey/ So all cannot be bad.

Thank you for your responses

FutureMrsA23

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Oh no I would run a mile in your situation, looking at the reviews on trip advisor there appears there is so many bad ones to ignore. It also seems a bit fishy that many of the glowing reviwed are from posters who have only written 1 review (which suggests to me they are fake)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics