Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

The Blazing Donkey in Ham, Sandwich, Kent - wedding hell

mcbek, 4 of June of 2010 at 20:25 Posted on Planning 1 84

Hi all

I hope you dont mind me posting my experience of this awful venue. We have had a long struggle through courts to get our money back and have had 9 months of sleepless nights because of it, but we have finally come out the other end and it is my mission to warn other brides of this truely horrendous wedding venue.

Here goes ....

Our nightmare with the Blazing Donkey began last year (2009). It looked like a lovely venue for our wedding and we received a very persuasive sales pitch from the manager/owner (Mr Martin).

We paid a massive £4950 over the phone for our weekday wedding for 2010 (we were told the only way we could secure the supposed 'discount' was to pay within 24 hours!!

We did not receive a receipt of confirmation of booking and we spent nearly 3 months chasing for this. All emails and phone calls were ignored.

Finally, we received an email from the wedding coordinator to tell us they didnt know who we were, when we had booked for etc etc - they had no record of us on file.

We lost all confidence in the venue and requested to cancel.

We were told the owner was unavailable but when we turned up at the venue, he was there - he denied all knowledge of my emails and phone calls and said that he had sent our confirmation by post (a lie as he did not have our address). We handed him a letter requesting return of our money. We received lots of support from trading standards, consumer direct and from on here!

Two more letters later (and four weeks later) he did not reply. After a fourth, we received an email to say we would not be getting our money back unless he sold the date on.

We then started court proceedings in the small claims court for the return of our money - again, he did not respond. We won the case by default but after 3 more weeks, he still he did not pay up. We instructed bailiffs to get our money back and once he received his bailiff papers he wrote to court to say he had not received the court papers (he said we had put the wrong address on the papers - same address as he advertises on his website though).

A court date was then set for his hearing, he did not turn up, we did and again, we won by default. He still refused to pay and finally after 9 months, the bailiffs went back in and got the money for us.

The Blazing Donkey reviews on trip advisor are horrendous and I know of many people who have been taken in by this venue and have lost their money. I am not the first and will not be the last to be taken in by the Blazing Donkey. They have ruined our wedding, we should be getting married in less than 2 months, instead we have only just got our money back and we have no wedding to look forward to.
Please do not make the same mistake that we did and book your wedding here.

84 replies

Latest activity by Hollie, 19 of August of 2023 at 00:19
  • G
    Beginner July 2010
    Gwyn4940 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bek,

I have been following your thread on Moneysavingexpert and just want to wish you and your OH all the very best for the future. You both deserve to have the perfect wedding day and I am so glad that you have triumphed over just a horrendous man praying on the wish of so many couples for the perfect wedding day. If anyone has any doubt about this warning please read the reviews on tripadvisor for the Scabby Donkey.

Good luck Bek, I wish you and your OH all the happiness in the world.

G x

• M
    Beginner
    mcbek ·
    • Hide content

Thank you and good luck for your wedding next month. I hope you have a fabulous day. ?

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, I just looked this place up on TripAdvisor and you aren't wrong. I've never seen so many bad reviews for a place on there! You really did not deserve to be treated in that way and I hope you end up having the best wedding ever.

• P
    Beginner May 2011
    prettypoppyknickers ·
    • Hide content

Just bumping this up. x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I read about your case when I was searching for venues for my own wedding. I also looked on trip advisor thank goodness! It really surprised me actually, because I went to a friend's wedding there in October 2008 and everything was fine. I think management may have changed after that. I did wonder why they were doing these amazing fixed price packages a little while back. Think it was £2500 for 50 people all in!

Suffice to say, my fiancee and I didn't bother considering it having read your story and the reviews on trip advisor. Hope you finally get the wedding you've hoped for! xx

• M
    Beginner
    mcbek ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies and thanks for bumping!!

Our struggle against this venue was a long, hard struggle and unfortunately, it has really affected us, possibly more than we thought. We were supposed to get married in July but obviously had only just got our money back so did not have time or incentive to replan it all again.

Sadly, I have lost all desire to start the planning process again and I feel no excitement about the whole planning process, just dread. Thankfully, we did get all our money back (except some which we had to pay the bailiffs with) we managed to claim the court costs back through the Blazing Donkey. I hope that one day, I can forget and move and on but the stress of it all has put a dampener on the whole thing for now. ?

Thank you for your good wishes. ?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you have had a nightmare. So sorry you had to go through this.

Ihope you soon get your wedding sparkle & your day is absolutely perfect x

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

What an awful thing to happen. I am so pleased that you managed to get your money back. I hope the wedding mojo returns i the not too distant future and you get to plan a beautiful wedding without this hanging over you. We are always here for hints and tips when the time comes. xx

• M
    Beginner
    mcbek ·
    • Hide content

Aww, thank you Becci and Sherrie

I hope to get that wedding sparkle back and I hope I can forget about the trauma we had because of the blazing donkey.

I hope to be able to join you all and start planning with feelings of joy instead of trepidation.

I just hope the venue sorts itself out and stops putting people through the hell we went through. No one deserves what we had to endure.

If anyone has any ideas of great venues in Kent (at a reasonable price) then please let me know. ?

• M
    Beginner
    mcbek ·
    • Hide content

• P
    Beginner May 2011
    prettypoppyknickers ·
    • Hide content

Back to the top because i hate this venue!

• P
    Beginner May 2011
    prettypoppyknickers ·
    • Hide content

Bumping again as i hate this venue!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

At least you now know what to look out for as warning bells with any other venues.

Any reputable venue should offer to hold your date - and price - for 14 days so you can do the obvious things like checking registrars are available, photographer (if you have one in mind), oh and little things like your bridesmaids aren't in Turkey on holiday etc etc.

I know how easy it is to get swept up in the fairytale wedding - but don't let yourself get rushed into booking anything to get a 'special discount' - it's generally not worth it, and you can always find alternatives.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Theres a place called Ham, in a place called sandwhich???????

all the best to you Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner March 2012
    Squishybunny ·
    • Hide content

Well, technically the village of Ham in near the town of Sandwich. You see road signs for Ham Sandwich, which frequently get nicked.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Heehee, I've been inappropriately giggling at that every time I've seen this post. Sorry!!

• K
    Beginner
    Kellywelly ·
    • Hide content

My new husband!! And I and recently married at this amazing venue (Xmas wedding).?

The day was all we dreamed of and more. We dealt with Richard the owner who could not have been more helpful.

The wedding team there were brilliant too and absolutely nothing was too much trouble. The setting is amazing and we took over the whole hotel for the weekend as most of my family are from London. All our guests are saying its the best wedding they've ever been to. We've read your story about your dealings and can't believe it's the same place.

Get over your issues as its 2012 now and as far as we are concerned your comments are out of date and bear no resemblence to our experience of this place. It was the best day of our lives.

Kelly

X

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you realise this then why are you dragging up such an old thread?!

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes they are! The thread is ancient!

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Member of staff there, are ya? ?

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do not understand why you have taken umbridge at the previous posters? this thread is almost 2 years old.

Although your experience was perfect, it clearly hasnt been for other brides.

One of my friends got married here last year and had a nightmare! When they booked it, the guy was lovely and would have bent over backwards to please them. She said soon as they paid, he did a complete 180, started asking for more money for bits and pieces they had never asked for nor agreed to, overcharged staying guests for the room. Wouldnt allow them to use thier own sourced hog roast company, and demanded he hire one at twice the price. They fought him before the wedding, enjoyed thier wedding day and then fought him after the wedding. They are still seeing solicitors now.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I wonder if this is, in fact Richard the owner posting this?!

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Lol, I was thinking the same thing Trickers!

Almost 2 years too late!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was wondering the very same Tricks, and also how long it would take for this venue to be discussed again in view of the advertising campaign that is currently running on my local radio station!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bore off Richard. ?

Thanks for bouncing the thread though, I'm sure you've just managed to put a few more people off considering your sh1t venue. Good work ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Marketing fail.

And if the post is, by some minor miracle, genuine - Review fail.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Reviews a review. all kelly has done is highlighted the original post which will obv get read first...then people will go on trip advisor...then will have made up theire mind...then read kelly/richards RUDE post.

too little too late kellywelly

• P
    Beginner May 2011
    prettypoppyknickers ·
    • Hide content

Whilst this thread has come alive again please if you decide to still book with this company do not book their PHOTOGRAPHER either he is a con man aswell my poor friend had her wedding there and 7 months later has just got some of the photos back all which are awful and he still has a number to get, id just stay away from all associated with him x

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

D.R.A.M.A

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

*still giggling at Ham, Sandwich*

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012