Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2012

The Castle Hotel - Tamworth?????

MrsDWT, 7 January, 2011 at 10:50 Posted on Planning 0 18

Has anyone ever looked at this venue? We recently had our reception venue cancel our booking as they are closing down and so we have started to look a little further afield.

They seem to have a too good to be true wedding day deal on for certain dates in 11/12.

Just wondered if anyone knew of the place and if its any good as a wedding reception venue? I have booked to go and look round tomorrow.

Thanks Guys

C x

18 replies

Latest activity by bambie, 13 September, 2011 at 11:21
  • ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

It seems too good to be true, because it is! I've been to a couple of weddings there, and have many friends who have worked there (I live in Tamworth BTW, so extremely local to me) and it's not good!!! Although the last time I went was just over a year ago.

The food and service were terrible. (in that there wasn't much choice food wise, and the staff seemed like they didn't want to be there) The staff are lovely when you enquire, and as long as you're happy to go along with limited options, then it's fine, but if you voice a complaint of any sort, or question something, they kinda turn on you. Saying that, things may have changed. They may have extended their choices.

The building itself is nice, and the rooms are big, and (if i remember rightly) alright decoration wise. I guess really, it depends on what you're after. Go for a look around, it may have changed (and hopefully, improved) and may be perfect for you.

Report back when you've been, i'd be interested to know what you made of it.

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ebony_Rose. I'm always wary when something is overly cheap. I have had a look online at other peoples reviews but its very mixed. Most of the wedding reviews are great but a lot of the hotel stay reviews are awful.

Well we are going tomorrow to look round and if i like it i might book to stay for 1 night just to get a real feel for it.......hmmmmm

• C
    Curious October 2023
    closetome ·
    • Hide content

Ive had a look at what they are offering and it does seem to good to be true. I kind of dont trust it as it seems so cheap for a wedding package - maybe Im just cynical?!

Looking at a few reviews online, they are no complimentary on the service, state of bedrooms etc.

Let us know what you think when you get back from having a look around :-)

x

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

I've had a bad experience as well, albeit 6-7 years ago. There was confusion over my finish time, I was instructed midnight by senior staff on the day, only to be told it was actually 1am when we were halfway through packing up. The management then told the clients the following day that I had said I was finishing early becuase I'd 'run out of music'!!! Ridiculous. Luckily there were numerous things that the venue had got wrong on the day otherwise I would have had some unhappy customers on my hands.

One of the very few venues I actively avoid, I suggest you do the same!

I've performed at around 200 venues in the Midlands so if you have anywhere else in mind I'd be happy to give you my critique ?

James

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, accomodation is AWFUL!!!! Like I said, I live in Tamworth, and didn't even consider it for my wedding, i'd rather go further afield, even though it's 10 minutes from my house, and local to all our guests.

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am really put off by it now and think i may cancel the viewing tomorrow.

I have just been looking at drayton manor, that looks quite good so if i can get a viewing there tomorrow instead then I will certainly be cancelling.

Thanks

C x

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Weddings at Drayton Manor are FAB!!!! The place is lush! I got a brochure from them and wanted to book on the spot.

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Awww so sorry to hear about your venue - we have a local venue too that is closing its doors today - Bretby Conference Centre cancelling all weddings and events booked for this year! I've only ever been to the Castle Hotel once for a meeting - its not somewhere personally I would want to hold a party (it needs a refurb from my recollection)!

Drayton Manor though I've heard some fantastic reviews about their hospitality side of things - hope you manage to get sorted asap.

Tracey x

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

Videogal - That was my venue!!! I live in Swadlincote. Really quite gutted as i had friends who held their wedding receptions their and all they had was praise so when we booked it i was so happy as the price was great.

I'm also looking into hiring the town hall in burton and getting an outside caterer in. I am just waiting for a quote from the caterer!

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Ah small world.... Burton Town Hall is really nice though ? x

• H
    Beginner May 2011
    h_burgess ·
    • Hide content

I had my wedding at the Castle Hotel in April this year and it was absolutely fabulous! We were initially worried that as it was so cheap it might not be the best, but once we saw the rooms and spoke with Nikki the wedding co-ordinator all our fears were laid to rest. Nikki was so helpful, she answered all our questions and nothing was ever too much trouble, however unusual the request the Castle was always willing to accomodate it where possible and that is true of all the staff, everyone was so helpful, the day ran so smoothly we didn't have to worry about a thing. The food was lovely and we didn't have to worry about paying extra for any people not having the set menu because of allergies etc. We got a separate kids' menu so they were happy and the room was decorated beautifully for us, exactly as we had wanted it. We booked the hotel's DJ to do our evening party and he was great, the dancefloor was never empty and he had all the songs we requested so the party was brill. Several of our relatives stayed overnight as they come from Essex and there were no complaints about the accomodation or the breakfast, everyone said they had a really good day and night and would recommend the Castle Hotel to anyone thinking of having their wedding in Tamworth, especially if they are working on a budget - £14.99 a person is just amazing for all the things it includes! I would definitely recommend going to have a look round and chat with the wedding co-ordinators, the pictures and reviews on the internet just don't do it justice.

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, hope it's not as bad as everyone makes out. If this is the one by the castle itself. Then my friend is getting married there this yr. She loves it, and is allowed to have photos taken at the castle after the ceremony.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Sorry i dont know the venue myself but is it me or anyone else think h_burgess sounds suspiciously like they work there!!!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like it to me.

First post, and it's on a post from months ago.

Can't imagine any bride bigging the castle hotel up that much...

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes a bit too detailed and covering all aspects.

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

Im from Tamworth, i haven't been to a wedding there for a couple of years now but then it wasn't too good, i just put it down to not many people being there, also the food was discusting, but that may of changed now? I have heard mixed reveiws about it, but i personally wouldn't go there. The Castle Grounds would be fab for photos tho =)
    Hve you had a look at Drayton Manor, Lea Marston or Marston Farm? xxx

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Oooo Oooo Drayton Manor would be amazing!!

• R
    Beginner July 2012
    Rachkb84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

I have my wedding booked at TCH. Obviously I can't comment fully as my wedding hasn't happened as of yet but so far I have only good comments to make on the staff and in particular Nikki the wedding coordinator for the hotel. Firstly, it is wise to remember that you get what you pay for. This venue is really cheap and does need a bit of a "spruce" up! However, it really depends on yourself and what you are looking for, weddings these days are more about what you want people to go away and say about where you got married, rather than the fact that you have just took your vows etc. As I have said Nikki is fantastic, I have asked if I can bring in some decorations (ceiling swags etc) to make the room more attractive and there has been no problems. I have also asked if the supplier that does their chair covers can try a new design for me, which they have agreed to and have also gone out and brought new coloured material because they didn't already stock the colour I want. I am getting married in a stunning church and then having the do back at the TCH. I must admit, I never contemplated taking my vows there, it isn't special enough, however it has a lot of potential to be made to look really pretty for the do afterwards and at the cost of it, you can afford to do so.

When TCH was suggested to me last year I completed crossed it off my list, until I came to realise how much these big fancy places cost! A friend of a friend got married at TCH in October 2009, they wasn't looking for flashy etc but just wanted to marry each other, they said they had the best day and night. So I went to look around, just because it was so cheap it was worth a 10 minute browse at least, we booked it that day. So my advice would be to have a look and if it's not for you, you know you can cross it off your list, but as it's so cheap then its worth a look, you may be surprised.

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    bambie ·
    • Hide content

Hiya every1 i have booked the castle hotel for my wedding next year june , i also thought how cheap is that but 2bh me and my h2b went and i likes it , ye as people say it is a little dated does need a touch up of paint but a place it what u make it , this is my second time around and i am more than happy to have my wedding there and 2bh ive called the hotel loads of times to ask different questions and the have never got fed up of me and always do there best to help me out .

dont no about food and the bedrooms as i havnt experienced them yet .

anyway the only way you will find out if you like it is to go and see what u think Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics