Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner December 2014

The Caves/Rowantree, Edinburgh?

gnasha-lou, 23 February, 2013 at 15:32 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi, firstly - I'm new! *Waves*

Secondly, has anyone ever been to The Caves in Edinburgh, or the Rowantree, which is a smaller version of the Caves I believe?

It's on my shortlist for possible reception venues but we haven't visited yet. They look gorgeous in the photos, but my partner's reservations are that it might be a bit claustrophobic and, well, dark! We won't be able to visit any venues until the summer when we are next up to visit family, so it would be good to get some opinions now so we have a good idea of where would be good to visit.

Any other good Edinburgh based venues you are happy to recommend would be much appreciated too! We are looking at a smallish winter wedding (2014) Smiley smile

Thanks, Natasha xx

6 replies

Latest activity by gnasha-lou, 23 February, 2013 at 22:02
  • G
    Beginner December 2014
    gnasha-lou ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply! I shall have a look at the Ghillie Dhu. I considered the zoo too, that would be awesome! I like something a little bit different. We're not leaving ourselves much scope really, because me and the hubby to be are quite keen on getting something as close to the Royal Mile as possible, as that part of town holds some special memories for us. We did once look at the Glasshouse - loved how quirky the building looked from the outside - so that's a reserve too! Its finding something that works for both of us. I want something special and decadent, but my fella would be perfectly content to have a traditional pub lunch for our wedding reception! I figured we'd go for quirky as a compromise haha!

Tash xx

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

My cousin got married in the caves and it was beautiful, he had quite an intimate wedding though so didn't feel claustrophobic. It was very dark though and a lot of guest photos didn't come out well which was a shame. In my opinion Edinburgh has much better venues.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Hi. We married in the Royal mile , photos up calton hill and then Howies Waterloo place for the reception . Can't rate it enough , food usual Howies standard and booze not massive inflated prices. I stayed the night before and the night in The parliament house hotel just hidden round the back of Howies , gorgeous and the biggest suite to get ready in . Anymore info on flowers or photographer just ask , happy to share . It is all in my report below .

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Just to add I have been to a couple of weddings in the glass house. I thought it was over priced, you have to end really early and the bit were the wedding was held was really near some bins as I could smell them . If it had of been my wedding I would have complained .

• G
    Beginner December 2014
    gnasha-lou ·
    • Hide content

Thanks MrsM and nanny plum! Thanks for the info re. the glasshouse nanny plum - that's worth knowing! I shall have a look at Howies too.

Tash xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics