Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

the church forgot to read our banns!! getting married next saturday!

mrsgzd, 17 of July of 2015 at 19:13 Posted on Planning 0 16

So it started with my dress.....nearly didnt' turn up. To anyone who was following my dress post I promise i'll get some flashes up tomorrow after my second fitting (my dress was huge on me when I tried it on last time and was falling off me so didn't feel comfortable putting pics up....sorry).

Then I ordered my table plan a month ago from an ebay seller with 100% positive feedback. Messaged her earlier in the week with no response, messaged her twice more (once to ebay again and once to her email). No response. My OH spent all day calling her mobile number (off the website he found for her), one minute it was on but she wasnt answering, the next it was off. So a week to go with no table plan. Have messaged a few people to try and sort something so hopefully its in hand.

Then......I received a call from the bishop surrogate for marriage. He said that the church had got in touch with him and said that they forgot to read our Banns!!!! and without them we can't be legally married.

The banns we paid for and had read at a different church (were from different parish's) are now invalid as we have to have them read in both places.

They read them once and then forgot last week and there aren't enough Sundays left before we get married.

We have to go and meet this man on sunday, sign some stuff and give some documents....they then get sent to church lawyers in london and hopefully they get accepted in time for next saturday. That's the only only way we can potentially get legally married. They will only have 5 days Smiley sad

do I have the right to be a bridezilla?? haha

16 replies

Latest activity by mkw, 20 of July of 2015 at 12:48
  • BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

*FORGOT*???

They will sort this out for you as this could make a mega legal case if everything is up front, paid for an its their fault.

That sounds crazy. Don't they have a midweek service? Does that count to read them there?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Oh my that is stressful!

Be polite but I would stress that the responsibility to rectify this lies with the church i.e. make sure they have a next day courier arranged, for London, check that the church lawyers are fully aware of the urgency of the situation and request an update by Thursday the latest.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately banns can only be read on 3 consecutive Sundays and not during the week Smiley sad

I'm going to be majorly questioning the man we go to see on sunday to get some answers. We have paid nearly £1000 to get married in this church and they FORGET to read my banns. They only had 1 job.

They managed to read the other couples who are getting married on the same day. Annoying thing is we paid everything in full ages ago and they said they were going to wait until the other couple had paid up before they started reading ours, so if they had read them when we paid it would all be sorted by now. Instead they waiting until the other couple paid, made a mistake and now have potentially ruined our wedding. Even if it gets sorted this isn't the sort of stress we need.

If it doesn't get sorted then I'll be making them do a blessing or something and then have a real wedding when it's all sorted.

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

WOW! I have nothing productive to add, but you have my sympathy in bucket loads.

if I was that vicar I would have just kept quiet and pretended I had done it, who would have known?

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    mkw ·
    • Hide content

Hi mrsgzd,

Sorry to hear this! I have a feeling that I went to a wedding last year where something similar happened - they found out a lot later, maybe even a day or two before, and I know they got it sorted and married legally. I can't remember the exact details though, I will send her an email to ask what they did in the end.

Fingers crossed!

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Smiley smile that will be so helpful

Hopefully that's are 3 lots of bad luck done and it all goes smoothly

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh my God, I would be livid!! I hope you get it sorted, and they do more than just apologise, that's appalling!! Please keep us updated, I've got everything crossed for you x

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

I have nothing constructive to say didn't want to read and run. I'm keeping everything crossed it can get sorted. Keep us updated.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I echo what Jen Lou has said. Hoping it all gets sorted. I am absolutely sure it will as it is totally the vicar's fault.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

Ahh that's awful and I would be really upset. I have never heard of this happening so I am sure they will be able to sort it out as it is their responsibility. Fingers crossed for you x

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

OMG That is so terrible of the church.

hope they get it sorted out for you & OH

Keeping everything crossed xxxx

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Wow, that's unbelievable! I'm sure they'll sort it out though - it's in nobody's interest to not let you marry. Their reputation would be ruined otherwise (even more than it already is when you tell people about this...)!

• Paul & Dawn
    Beginner July 2015
    Paul & Dawn ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her, she had to drive an 80 mile round trip the day before the wedding to resolve it but it was sorted very quickly, so try not to worry, you should have plenty of time.

I would look to seek some sort of refund from the costs you've probably paid the church though, they did and got a third of the cost back.

Dawn

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I agree re asking for a partial refund. The £1000 fee is not all set by the C of E, only about half that will be a central tariff fee. The rest is what the PCC add on locally - so the vicar and PCC have the right to waive that fee. They don't need any higher permission.

You can work out exactly what the local church share is by checking the tariff on the main C of E website

• V
    Beginner October 2015
    Vicki2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to read this, what a stress for you. I hope its all sorted in time and you have the wedding day you dreamed of Xx

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

I'm definitely going to be asking for the money back for the publication of the banns as they didn't do it

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    mkw ·
    • Hide content

Hi mrsgzd,

Sorry it's taken a while, but I have finally heard back from my friend that this happened to... she says:

"Ah what a pain but it is relatively easy to sort out. If they’ve forgotten to read the banns they will need to go and swear an affidavit (basically confirming that they are free to get married and entitled to get married in that parish) and obtain a certificate – think it was before the diocese. We had to go in person the day before the wedding to get the certificate. Was relatively easy although does depend where the diocese is. There was a cost but as the vicar forgot, he paid for it."

Don't know if you've already sorted this, but if not I hope this helps. Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics