Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sparkly Bear
Beginner October 2015

The contraceptive pill

Sparkly Bear, 13 of May of 2014 at 18:42 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 22

Hello ladies,

hope you are all well? I am just wondering if any of you use the contraceptive pill Drospirenone? (otherwise known as Yasmin)

The reason I ask is, for the past 10+ years I have used Microgynone and things have been fine, however, I've always had spots and bumps on my chin and lower face, I thought this was normal due to growing up etc (I'm now 28) however just lately it's been getting me down because I eat healthy, I always make sure I drink 2 litres of water a day, and I have a good cleanser and toner (and have done for years) so I went to the doctors and he told me it could be my pill causing the 'mild acne' as he put it. So he has changed me from Microgynone to this Drospirenone.

What are your experiences of Drospirenone? I have a while to my wedding (18 months) so hopefully I have time for things to go worse but to then hopefully get better!

xxx

22 replies

Latest activity by Ddpunk, 14 of May of 2014 at 20:34
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I was put onto Dianette about 3 years ago as my skin was dreadful - I think it is an older version of Yasmin (and probably cheaper too)

One thing that surprised me about the packaging were that they looked very medicinal and not like a pill packet at all - It looked more like medicine ifkwim?

I was on ovranette which is the same as microgynon for years and it diddnt agree with me, Cilest made me put on lots of weight and femodene seemed OK apart from the fact I was *** at taking it.

If it helps at all with Dianette I diddnt get worse but only got better. It has IMO made me put on weight though which is something I am not happy about however my thoughts are that I would rather be a non spotty size 12 than a spotty size 8-10.

plus size- boobs are now much bigger, I think if we did the survey again I would no longer have the smallest boobs on hitched.

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't mind bigger boobs! Maybe this change will be for the best! I need to complete my current course of Microgynone (I'm 4 days in) and then I've been advised to start on this Yasmin one.

I know it will take a good 6 months for any visible changes to happen, and I know different meds affect people differently, but I'm really hoping this helps!

I'm currently an 8-10, but I'd really like clearer skin!! xxx

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

I was on Dianette for acne also and it was the only thing that cleared up my skin. I stopped it 5 years ago and so far it's never come back. I've heard good things about Yasmin too

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I took Yasmin and I got on well with it. My skin was so much better in those days.

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad some of you have tried it and had positive results on it. Its always a worry changing medication, when there isn't really anything wrong with what's prescribed in the first place (other than the really rubbish skin!)

I am just hoping I don't experience any other side effects. Currently my periods only last for 4 days and its heaven! I'm hopefully that I have long enough to try Yasmin, and if I don't get on with it I can always change back to Microgynon in time for the wedding!

Thank you for your comments hitchers! It's always nice to have some real life feedback rather than reading about a product on tinterweb (when its made to sound much worse than it is!)

xxx

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Random thought, you're not taking biotin to try to grow your hair are you? I tried it and it brought me out in tiny spots all over my chin. Stopped it as soon as I realised and the spots cleared up.

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

Oh goodnesss, Dianette doesn't sound like it was a great match for you! I'm glad I haven't been subscribed that! And I'm glad you were better once put on Yasmin!

Would I need to pay for Yasmin? I assumed I'd tick the 'has been prescribed free of charge contraceptive' box on the back of the green paper? I've never paid for Microygnon - if this is the case - I need to remember to go the a cash point before I head to the pharmacy later on! xx

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

Flora how did you find the transition between dainette and yasmin - did you initially experience any side effects? Or were you ok straight away? xx

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

No you won't need to pay for it Sparkly Bear because it's still a contraception

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Holey for clarifying!

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

This is the only thing worrying me about changing to yasmin, the higher risk of DVT. I have had my blood pressure taken, and i assume all was ok as i have been prescribed the yasmin. I have been given a 6 month prescription of the yasmin to see how i feel on it and to see how it reacts to me! I am just hoping it stops the spots appearing on the lower half of my face and chin! And also hoping it doesn't turn my hormones all crazy! xxx

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

Thanks hun. I hope it works too! xx

I have got the flight socks for when I fly - so i'll have a read of the guidelines in the yasmin packet and see about wearing them during the day. I tend to sit at my desk for most of the day so it may be worth me wearing them! xx

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I was on Microgynon for years as it was considered the "lowest risk" - I was originally put on it because of fainting during periods, rather than for contraception or anything else. I did get spotty.

Had a brief spell on something else (possibly Mercilon?) for reasons which completely escape me now that I'm trying to remember, but then a lady doctor saw me for the 1st renewal (so had literally been on it for 3 months) and promptly took me straight back off it as it's purportedly very bad for people who get headaches/ migraines (even though I never get the aura, just the headache)...!

So I've now been on a progesterone only pill, Cerazette, for 3 years and it's fantastic. I do occasionally still get spotty, but much less frequently and I get no periods which is a blessed relief for many reasons but especially the lack of dizzy days. There was a slight scare 18 months ago when the factory that makes it stopped production for a few months, but all sorted now.

The Pill is a modern miracle - God bless experimental chemists I say.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I had that with asthma pumps at my surgery (I'm not really asthmatic, I just get hayfever really badly and wheeze once in a while in the summer) - they were trying to get everyone off the easy children's pumps (no push down bit, just breathe in) and onto grown up ones to save some money. Not a problem for me, but the poor kiddies!!

Guess it's only going to get worse if they all get privatised... ?

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been on cerazette for 6 months now and it's been fantastic for me! No periods & no PMS! I've not tried any other pills but my GP recommended this one because of my migraines. I read so many horror stories about weight gain & random bleeding before I started taking it so my expectations were rock bottom, but I couldn't be more pleased.

That factory had best keep pumping the stuff out!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics