Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Curious November 2023 Devon

The dreaded dress

Teri, 23 of November of 2021 at 13:15 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 5
Hey guys, me again!! Your all so helpful on here so I have another issue 🤣 basically I've found a dress I have fallen in love with. It's online, and it's currently £124 from £700. It's on etsy so my first question is how do you all feel about getting a dress off etsy? I'm really not fussed about having a designer dress. My other issue is size. Now I'm about a stone heavier than I should be and I want to be slimmer for my wedding day which isn't for another 2 years. Do I buy the dress now? I've taken my measurements and I just have to shave a few inches off hips waist and bust for the size I want. Is it too risky? If I buy it I can't really try it on yet because I doubt I'll get it on 🤣 but then when I lose some chub it should fit? Its just so cheap and I've wanted this dress for the past 3 months 😭 any help or advice is welcome and thank you so much!

5 replies

Latest activity by Alison, 8 of November of 2022 at 12:56
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't care where my dress came from as long as it fitted and I liked it. I've found some great stuff on Etsy and Ebay in the past, including 'as new' things that I couldn't have afforded at full price.

Regarding weight, it depends how good you are at being disciplined with food & exercise. As long as the weight you'd have to reach to fit into the dress is a sensible one (i.e. you're not looking at getting too thin for your build and height) it's doable, but you're the only one who can know how likely you are to achieve this.

• T
    Teri ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was more a worry about getting scammed, I tried to look up reviews for said etsy seller and there are none 🙄 so don't think I'll be purchasing from her! Heard quite a few scary stories about ordering online but also know of people who have bought dresses on ebay and had no issues at all. I'm not keen on the whole going to a boutique so I'm hoping to get a dress online, I'll just have to do a lot of research I guess! And as with losing some weight it's not a drastic loss, and like you said I'd just have to be super careful that I lose the weight and keep it off! Buying a wedding dress is so bloody scary 😂
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I would get it in your current size as you can always alter down but not up so is a risk to buy smaller. Also check where the seller is based as it can be worldwide so check is not some random country, and finally check their returns policy in case it comes and is not like the pics. To be fair you have 2 years so at £124 is not a huge loss If it is no good and you have to get another one
  • Jess
    Dedicated October 2022 Worcestershire
    Jess ·
    • Hide content

If you go for it (and at that price - why not?!) I would recommend buying bigger as you can always make the dress smaller but it's hard to make a small dress bigger!

• T
    Teri ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Turns out the dress wasn't off etsy but redirected me to a site that has awful ratings and reviews so definitely dodged a bullet there! But now I've found one almost the same on etsy but for £230 which is still cheap for a wedding dress! I've emailed the seller, she offers returns but my worry is its shipped back to America and God knows what might happen to it if I return it that distance! £230 is a fair amount to me to lose. Definitely agree with you all regarding sizing and I guess I can have it taken in without it breaking the bank too much

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics