Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InkedDoll
VIP January 2015

The electoral register

InkedDoll, 1 of November of 2014 at 15:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

So, some of you probably know that the government are changing the way people register to vote. I got a letter in the post asking me to register, which I went online and did that same day. H2B didn't get a letter.

A couple weeks after that we get a knock on our flat door. This is always a weird occurrence as we live in a block where you have to buzz from outside in order to get through the main door, but that hadn't happened. It was a guy from the council (he did have an ID badge) telling my H2B that he had ignored their request to register and was at risk of a fine if he didn't. As I say, H2B hadn't received a request. The guy wanted to take H2B's details there and then, but he wasn't keen and so asked for the address to register online, which he did. We still don't know how the guy gained access to the flat door.

Then last week the council guy comes knocking again, telling my H2B they don't have his registration yet. H2B assures him he did it and manages to get rid of him..

Then yesterday I get a letter saying they've been unable to verify my identity and need a number of documemts from me to prove who I am. The list includes several things I don't have (passport, driving licence, identity card) and several I'm not keen to share (bank and credit card statements). Again I've been threatened with a fine if I don't provide these - by this Wednesday! Bear in mind my name is on the council tax bill (and has been with Manchester council for 12 years) and I am a taxpayer.

So yeah, it's turning into a bit of a saga. We are giving our marriage notice this week and I'm starting to worry that if they can't find us on the electoral register, they will get suspicious and could refuse to marry us!

Did everyone else get the letters asking them to register etc? Has anyone else had any issues with this?

20 replies

Latest activity by Pittabre, 9 of November of 2014 at 17:10
  • ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I'm confused, have they made being registered to vote mandatory? It never used to be.

I got a letter saying "the way you register to vote is changing" but since H and I are already registered it wasn't really an issue.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think so. The letter that came asking me for all these documents is somewhat vague, but the gov.UK website states that you "must register if asked" and that you'll be fined if you don't. I'm sure we were both already registered as we've had voting cards for local elections in the year-and-a-bit we've lived here... I dunno. It's started to feel like the council are making veiled accusations that we're on the run or something (we're not).

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

It is a legal requirement to be on the electoral register and has been for many years, and yes you can be fined if you don't allow yourself to be registered but I don't know of many councils that enforce it.

It is coming to that time of the year where you will get the dorr knockers if you haven't registetred . I used to door the knocking for the council to get people to complete the forms. We never had to ask for ID etc but as you say the rules have changed so it may be a new requirement. X

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Oh, the list and combinations of accepted ID is crazy. I'm gonna end up having to send a council tax bill (shouldn't they already have this on file..?), a bank statement, a credit card statement and my P60. Debating whether I can black out my account numbers from the financial documents - I cant find the answer online, and i know from work that ringing councils is a frustrating and often fruitless experience, so I really don't wanna have to do that.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I has no idea it was changing, I don't think we have had a letter but we are both registered anyway.

What do you do for id without a D/L or a passport?! What can you use to give notice?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I has no idea it was changing, I don't think we have had a letter but we are both registered anyway.

What do you do for id without a D/L or a passport?! What can you use to give notice?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

To give notice of marriage, my birth certificate is fine. I'm not sure how it is in England but it seems like the process is more laid back in Scotland. I called Gretna register office to check a couple bits of info and the guy was super nice and said they don't even need me to send my deed poll. However, for this electoral thing I suspect supplying my birth certificate will only make things worse, as the name on it isn't the one i use now and they already seem to think I'm some sort of international fraudster. There is no mention on the letter they sent me of deed polls being accepted (or not) as ID.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Ah I see. I'm always amazed by people with no id- I see it in my job now and then and it baffles me. Have you ever had a passport or D/L?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I had a provisional driving licence in 1992, which was in my old name and my parents' address. I never took a test so I've never had a full one. The only time I've been abroad was with my school in 1988 and we were on a group passport, so never had a passport of my own either. I get that these days most people have one or the other, but I get the increasing sense that you're treated as not a 'real person' if you don't. I have considered in the past getting a passport for just this reason, but at the moment I can ill afford the £100-odd a first one costs, especially when I have no plans to go abroad!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I work for MCC, and additionally as a poll clerk - and its been a saga for me to get registered, too! Apparently even if you are already registered, the new system matches the details with the DWP records, and if they don't match, you have to re-register. So, I had to re-register but my h2b doesn't.. I didn't open the first letter they sent as i assumed it would be the same as h2bs, then got a second letter threatening a fine. I registered online but then they buzzed our flat saying i was still showing up as unregistered. I showed him the email saying i'd submitted my registration, but he still made me do it again, and I havent yet received confirmation that i am registered. ID, the council guy will have buzzed in with one of your neighbours and then stayed in the building, as he will have had multiple people on his list. he knocked on my neighbours door after i buzzed him in. I was shocked that canvassers only get paid £1 per residence they visit, and have to visit a minimum of 500 homes!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, true. I'm wary of it cos I think sometimes people gain access by waiting on the street for a resident to come in and following them through the door - I worry that anyone could just walk in the building! But like I said, he did have ID. It was only a minor annoyance til this stuff telling me I have to prove my identity to an organisation who are quite happy to take my council tax money every month!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

We had the letters last year. We never replied to them because we forgot. The council knocked on our door and asked a couple questions and that was that all sorted :-) glad they did otherwise that would have c*cked up my credit report and we would have gotten a fine!

With the bank statements, just photocopy it and cross out any senstive info like account numbers and any private transactions you really dont want to share with a marker pen. They are just interested in your name and address being on there.

Perhaps a few utility bills/council tax bill and birth certificate maybe enough to prove your identity, along with your nhs card and your payslip, as your NI number is on there, so it all matches.

Hth

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

NHS card isn't on the list of accepted forms of ID, sadly. Utility bill is, but my name isn't on the elec bill and we don't pay water, and they don't accept mobile phone bills *sigh*. I could send my birth certificate, I'm just worried about it just prompting further questions, as it isn't the name I use now.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I definitely wouldn't sent the birth certificate without the Deed Poll otherwise they'll get confused. Actually, they'll probably get confused anyway.

Bank statement, CT bill, P60, anything from HMRC...

I'm impressed that you've managed so far without a passport! it might be worth investing in one if you're worried about sharing personal information with institutions. I think the fees gone down to £72, which is still a lot, but saves you having to hand over so much of your personal information.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Well, you know, I've never wanted to go anywhere so it never occured to me to get one Smiley smile

I've sent them my P60, council tax bill, and a bank and credit card statement with the account numbers blacked out. I'm waiting for there to now be an issue cos the bank and credit card statement are from the same issuing bank. If there is I literally have no other acceptable ID from their list. We'll see.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Here's the list of ID they accept by the way, in case anyone was wondering...

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree with this.

Even if you're not planning on going abroad it might be worth getting one for admin purposes if you're not keen on sending other info.

Then you never know.... If you have a passport you might be tempted to travel & then get the travelling bug and fill your passport with lots of different countries stamps! :-).

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Ha, I can't afford to do that Smiley smile but H2B and I are planning a honeymoon of some sort at some point when finances allow, so I guess I will get one sometime next year. I maintain you shouldn't need to have one if you don't want one, but you know, that's just life sometimes.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

This is in no way helpful, sorry, but I'm slightly baffled by how a police bail form got on that list - I 'm willing to bet that people must give fake names and addresses to the police?! Perhaps it means in case you've just been released and haven't had time to amass bills?

Anyway, back on topic - good luck with it. I filled out the form sent through our door as it said if one of us registered online it wouldn't include the other - hopefully that has worked as I have heard nothing.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

I am going through this situation at the moment. I moved in April and registered online to vote. Got a letter saying I needed to register, so filled out the letter and sent it back. Then have got a letter this week threatening me with a fine if I don't register. Have filled this letter out again and written on the front I keep filing this letter in and returning it.

I also don't have a passport and people do seem to get snotty with you for not having a passport.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics