Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner January 2000

The perfect barn venue

LuxuriousIvoryHair610, 2 of January of 2017 at 18:13 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi All,

I got engaged in September 2016 and have been searching for the perfect venue since, but struggling to find somewhere that ticks all the boxes.

I would be really grateful for any recommendations!

We are looking for:

Barn venue

South England (no more than 2hr drive from London / Herts)

beautiful outdoor space

Luxury accommodation for guests. We will have family attending from Yorkshire and Suffolk and would really like for everybody to stay in the same place as the wedding and reception.

Something a bit different!

Aynhoe Park would be my dream venue, but at £35k for the weekend, it's way over budget!

http://aynhoepark.co.uk

Any suggestions welcome ☺️ Thanks xxx

6 replies

Latest activity by Chapples, 4 of January of 2017 at 14:32
  • H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyPinkStationery692 ·
    • Hide content

I'm unsure on accommodation for the following but they are beautiful!

Maidens Barn

High Barn

Smeetham Hall Barn

Blake Hall

High House

Credsing Barns

Crabs Barn

Crondon Park

Tewin Bury Barn

The Reid Rooms

I hope these help x

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I should have an answer for this as I shoot at loads of barns. The trouble is a lot don't have accommodation on site.

Down sussex way there's Farbridge, Gate Street Barn, Blake Hall, The Great Kent Barn then Westerly there's Kingscote Barn.

Even though these have accommodation it's usually enough for the main wedding party but not all the guests.

Oh and South Farm rocks. It's gorgeous there.

• M
    Beginner May 2018
    MayBohoBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

We have been hunting for a barn venue in Surrey and have finally booked one. Before I go into the detail I would say that I am not sure how many barn venues you will find that have accommodation for everyone to stay as well, unless it is a hotel that also happens to have a barn. If that's very important to you then you would probably need to go more down the hotel route.

In terms of barns, we looked at 3 in Surrey:

Gildings Barn

Bury Court Barn

Gate Street Barn - which we have now booked

Gildings is very much DIY - you have to do pretty much everything yourself, and as a result it's a lot cheaper. We ruled that one out as we are happy to pay a bit more for some help (you literally had to clear up all the empties and rubbish the next day!).

Bury Court Barn is lovely but in my opinion just not quite as beautiful as Gate Street, where I really got "the feeling" that it was the right place. Gate Street has accommodation for about 24 people to stay on site, but none of it is compulsory, so you could have your whole wedding party staying at a lovely hotel nearby.

If you want any more information on those three then let me know Smiley smile

xxx

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Bury Court Barn also lock the gardens out after dinner starts. You only have access to the car park side of the barn after that, which is essentially gravel. It scuppered my hopes of evening photos with the couple when I was there.

Great venue otherwise but I did wonder why they do (or did) that.

• D
    Beginner June 2018
    DorsetDiasy ·
    • Hide content

There are a few in Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire and many offer local camping as an alternative to hotel accommodation. Will dig out the details for you if you would like but not sure if that is too far for you to travel?

• B
    Beginner November 2016
    BBC2B ·
    • Hide content

There's Coltsfoot Retreat in Datchworth (herts), which is a barn conversion and has accommodation on site. Might be worth a try?

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Just trying to think of barns north of London in Herts/Essex...

Coltsfoot in Datchworth is lovely.

So is Tewinbury but you may find there's multiple weddings there at peak times, so no exclusivity.

South Farm is beautiful, but is very booked up - they have weddings there 7 days a week & I think their diary for 2017 is already fully booked, so 2018 may be too. Loved it there but in the end it felt like a bit of a conveyor belt system to us.

Bassmead Manor is a bit further north than Herts, & I've not been there, but heard very good things about it:

http://www.bassmeadmanorbarns-weddings.co.uk/

What about Gaynes Park? Again not been there but it looks lovely:

http://www.gaynespark.co.uk/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics