Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cinnamonfairy
Rockstar June 2020

The Pill - Microgynon and Cerazette

cinnamonfairy, 11 of December of 2012 at 20:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

I have just got back from the GP, after making an appointment about how my ridiculous mood swings and lack of sex drive have been making me really low. I've heard that Microgynon can have these particular effects. So the doc has prescribed me Cerazette to see how I get on with it.

Has anyone been on Cerazette/taking it? Anyone had similar effects as above from being on Microgynon and switched to something else? All I know is that I'm switching from the combined pill (and having a 7 day break) to the progesterone only which is taken continually. Any advice on any good/bad effects would be great that anyone has experienced would be great!

16 replies

Latest activity by misselle, 12 of December of 2012 at 16:20
  • MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I had microgynon before DS and I got on ok with it. I was only on it for 10 months or so as I took it to help bring my periods back after having the injection. After DS I had Micronor as I was bf him. I have only just stopped it, so I was on it for maybe 16 months? I never had any side effects from either pill (or injection) but maybe that's because I'm not a very hormonal person? (I don't really get pmt or really bad periods). Best thing I ever had was the injection, but it's not ideal if you want children as it can be a b**** to come out your system for some people

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I was started on Microgynon - it did depress my sex drive and altered my moods a bit. I was taken off it after it started mucking around with my blood pressure. I've been on Cerezzette since 2009. No problems with blood pressure or moods swings, but sex drive isn't much better. You might be different. though, and it's perfect for you.

• R
    Beginner April 2013
    roo2605 ·
    • Hide content

I'm on microgynon and have been for years and as far as i know, I haven't had any side effects - but maybe I have and just see it as normak Smiley smile

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I was on microgynon for over 10 years, and when I switched GPs my new one nearly fainted when I told him my previous doc had just prescribed it for me for years without checking BP or anything. A friend told me her friend had suffered an awful blood clot and numerous problems with depression after being on it and suddenly I realised it wasn't just me.

I thought I was actually mentally unstable. I had wild mood swings, veering from rage so bad I would throw and smash things, to weeping over anything. It was awful. I don't know how OH put up with living with me like that.When I finally changed my moods settled down to 'normal'. I went to Norimin, as I still wanted a bleed, now am on Cerazette and don't have a bleed which is great and saving me a fortune in sanitary products. As far as I am aware it hasn't affected my moods. However my sex drive has remained low, which it was with all my previous pills.

• MrsPenguin
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsPenguin ·
    • Hide content

I was on cerazette and never had a problem with it. Never had a period on it either so good in my book!

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies.

Looks like it's unlikely my sex drive is going to improve! Was the whole reason I went to the docs really! Liking this whole no period thing though! Silver linings and all that!

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I've been on cerazette for nearly 3 years. No side effects and also no periods either - yeah!

In that respect, I'm not looking forward to coming off it in January!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I went onto cerazette from logynon because i was having horrible side effects. I had an incredibly low sex drive on cerazette and after two years on it, started spotting randomly. As soon as I stopped taking it I had a really heavy bleed that started the very next day so my body was obviously not absorbing it properly.

I then decided to take it for the three months over the wedding and honeymoon but i had a horrendous 12 day bleed as soon as I started taking it. I stopped taking it and a week later had another 9 day bleed. No wonder I slept for most of the honeymoon! I was probably a bit anaemic.

I will never go back on the pill again now, I've had enough of hormone contraceptives.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I was one mincrogynon for about 10 years and have been on Cerazette for about 5.

It's not guaranteed you won't have a bleed with Cerazette but I don't and I must admit I love that about it.

I would say I actually think my sex drive has gone down since switching though (but to be honest that might not be down to the pill - I'm really bad at recalling time frames etc).

I'm coming off it in April and, although I'm dreading having periods again, I'm clinging to the hope my sex drive might recover a bit.

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

I was on Microgynon for 7years then suffered migranes so was switched to Cerazette and was on that about 3-4years. I personally didnt have any side affects on either pill but I wanted to give my body a break from any pills and came off last may (2011) and my periods took about a year+ to get back to normal. As soon as i took the pill my periods stopped so was good while i was on it.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

I went on to cerazette and had to stop because I gor horrifc spots on my back and chets. As soon as one went another popped up. Really got me down. I take Yasmin and have never had any probs.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I've been on Microgynon since I was 15 (over 7 years) so I don't think I'd really know if I had any side effects! This is really making me wonder if I'd be different if I was off it!

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

I was on Microgynon for 8 years from age 15. I didn’t think I had any side effects from it but I started to mysteriously spot in between periods and I did get horrific cramps when I had my bleed which made me sick with pain. When I started spotting I asked my GP to change me pills and he wouldn’t so I decided that I wanted to get the Mierna Coil which he tried to talk me out of. I got that in January and I’ve been a different person. I thought the whole time I was on the pill that my mood swings, weight gain and low sex drive were just how I was. I had a really bad temper too. All of this disappeared soon after I stopped the pill and got the coil. OH said I was like a new person to live with and its been great.

If I ever go back on the pill I wont take Microgynon again.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's really interesting. I don't have a bad temper, but I do get emotional easily, and I would say I have quite a low sex drive too. I went on the pill not long after losing my virginity so I wouldn't know if without the pill, my sex drive would be higher or not! I don't want to change my pill for no reason though as I haven't had any noticeable side effects and could change and have loads of problems!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Cerazette turned me into a psycho!

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was the same as me I had only ever known sex when I was on the pill so I didn’t really know any different. I also got emotional really easy particularly when it came to OH, I thought I was a drama queen at times but couldn't stop myself, if we ever rowed I blew it all out of proportion. Looking back I don't know how OH put up with me let alone proposed to me.

I just thought that its how I was as a person. A few people have commented that I’m less emotional these days and seem very much more upbeat. I do believe the pill had a lot to do with how I was and since I came off it for the Mierna me and OH have rowed less and get on much better, my sex drive has also improved. Yet if you had

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics