Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner

The range or Hobby craft??

LooseLadie, 29 April, 2010 at 18:55 Posted on Planning 0 22

Where do you think is better for crafty, invitation making things?

They are both about a 20/30 min drive from me so just wondered what you think is better for variety and price?

Thank you Smiley smile

22 replies

Latest activity by LooseLadie, 29 April, 2010 at 22:59
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

From personal experience I would say that Hobbycraft has more range but depending on what you are looking for they are both expensive imo.

I think that pretty much everything can be found cheaper online!

• itgirlno1
    Beginner June 2010
    itgirlno1 ·
    • Hide content

I love The Range but never been to HobbyCraft. My MOH went to HobbyCraft for hers and she found everything she needed.

I went to the Paper Mill and got EVERYTHING I needed for £35. I made all our stationery with my friends and it's BEE-YOO-TIFUL!

• alexxinness
    Beginner September 2008
    alexxinness ·
    • Hide content

I get a lot of my bits from paper mill and the range

x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hoobycraft is a total rip off and everything they have can be sourced elsewhere. What is it you need and maybe someone can point you in a cheaper direction?

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

I want some blank cards with envelopes that have a bit of a texture to them or nice looking not just plan card if you get me... I want to just go and have a nosey as well really :p

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the Range, it is cheaper than hobby craft, but Hobbycraft do have much more things for card making.

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

I got all my cards off ebay and they've just arrived. Altogether, it came to £30 but would have cost about £70 in Hobbycraft. They're ivory colour with texture to them, and are really nice quality, thought they'd be a bit flimsy but they're not at all. maybe have a look online cos you could save loads x

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Bobbins, dont suppose you would mind sharing who the seller is you bought the cards from? Its just there are 100's on ebay and if you say that they are good quality then atleast i know they would be ok Smiley smile

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Seller was babypinkbubbles - they have a shop and all the feedback is really good as well.

Mine were Ivory Hammer cards which is the textured finish, or they do the Linen finish which is smooth - dont know what the smooth cards are like though as all mine are textured x

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

I agree, you will be able to find cheaper online but its good to go to places like HobbyCraft and The Range to pick up a few bits to have a play and work out what you want. If you have a G&Ts World of Cards nearby they often have card making bits too.

This website https://www.pdacardandcraft.co.uk/ came highly recommended when I was planning (and I think some of the stationery HIBS use them).

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

I've used babypinkbubbles before too,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-A5-Ivory-Hammer-cards-perfect-4-wedding-card-craft-/120554833798?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Crafts_CraftingPaper_EH&hash=item1c11a0c786

although i think only for envelopes, buts shes always been helpful......

some hammer card is only textured on one side though and smooth on the other, so worth asking the question if you have a preference. Also if you're going to use an insert, try buy the hammer paper from the same range as colours and textures can be slightly different, same again if you plan to use hammer envelopes.

http://www.pdacardandcraft.co.uk/merchant.ihtml?step=2&cid=7 are really good imo, you can easily buy everything you need from one range without worrying if its going to match. They delivery really quickly usually next day, but are a bit more expensive than some of the bargains on ebay.

I have some white contour (hammer) card from PDA, i'm using at the mo, if you want to email me your address, happy to send you a little sample as a staring point if that helps at all,

Em x

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Crafty Em, thank you for your help...

I find it really had to picture things in my head so im not sure what will be suitable?

Would an A6 gatefold card be big enough for an invitation? When i folded some paper it looked too small and like i couldnt get all the infor onto it? Im so confused!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I'm using pda card and craft.

I found them really useful, they do swatch packs so you can decide on the colour and whilst it's cheaper to order in bulk, you can order single cards to have a play with.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

what about the papermill shop?? its very good, and very reasonable. try papermilldirect.co.uk and see if they have a store near you!!

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

Would prob be ok for your evening invitation, but personally i think you'll need A5 for your day. I know what you mean though, there is so much card making stuff out there. What are your wedding colours, have you got a theme?

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Yeh ivory and red is the scheme... I have ordered some red organza ribbon off of the internet and i wanted to just get some gatefold hammered card so i can use the ribbon to "tie" it shut on the front... but its becoming harder than i thought lol

I Wanted to make my own (with help of friends) to save on cost but its not looking that way lol x

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

I used babypinkbubbles for my cards as well - she was really helpful and good products too. I used gatefold DL hammered cards and just stuck the typed page inside.

I used hobbycraft for ideas and bought things to play around with samples but bought everything from ebay for the end product

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Marie, thats really helpful, and they look lovely!!

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! They are so much better than I ever imagined. I think you should have a go at doing them yourself. It was surprisingly easy and really satisfying knowing I had done them myself.

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

Ivory & red was mine too, although i used deep red card, with an ivory ribbon, gatefold too. used a heart punch to thread the ribbon through. do you plan to use an insert? if not i would go for hammered on both sides, then the invitation bit you could frame in the red, think they'll look very effective.

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Im hoping that they will turn out "ok" Other wise i will be buying them done lol.

Can you print directly onto the hammerd card even though it would of already been folded? Otherwise i was going to print onto paper and then stick that onto red card to stick in as an insert..

Thank you for your help Smiley smile

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

My printer will print onto pre-scored cards ok, and it's just a normal Lexmark home printer, the only printers i've found a prob with are the front feeding ones. just a case of try really, as all printers differ.

I'm sure they'll look lovely, Natty.

x

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Em, i have taken the plunge and bought 100 DL hammered gate fold cards from babypinkbubbles.... I will see how it goes.

Thanks you your help everyone Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics