Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner

The right venue..compromise?

Antoniastars, 7 of August of 2013 at 16:41 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi everyone!

I got engaged in April, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted but I have hit a brick wall with venues! Everything I see I find something wrong with it (mainly carpets!) or I don't like their menu etc. Ideally I'd like an empty shell that I can do loads with but finding that in Edinburgh or the surrounding areas is proving to be tough.

Whilst I am driving myself crazy here I just wondered...did you guys feel this way too at the start? Did you then give up on finding absolute perfection and let the little things slide? I'm just wondering if I should stop being so picky and choosy. I know I could book a wedding tomorrow and get it for a good price in plenty places, but then it wouldn't be the wedding I had dreamed of forever - and it's not as if I will have a second go at it! (hopefully?)

Thought please Smiley smile

xxxx

7 replies

Latest activity by *MM3*, 7 of August of 2013 at 19:43
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I think it's the same everywhere. If you own a big, light barn in a pretty field, there's no incentive to keep it sparse and allow couples to decorate/cater as they wish, when you can invest in a nice bit of decor, design a menu and charge three times as much.

You may find one, good luck. But this is the type of venue that lots of brides post here looking for.

• MrsBoo
    Beginner November 2014
    MrsBoo ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Firstly, totally agree with you about the carpets! Me and OH have crossed about 6 venues off of our list because of the hideous carpets! I don't know why they do it.

My idea of a perfect venue has changed massively in the 2 months since we've been planning so initially what I want now may have been seen as a compromise but now I am feeling positive about the whole thing. I think the more venues I have viewed the more my ideas have changed.

The places we have found, that we like, don't actually tick all the boxes, they tick most of them but mostly we just got a good feeling about the place.

I hope you find somewhere soon!

xxx

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Firstly you need to have realistic expectations within your budget IMO that should be the only compromise you need to make regarding venue.

Our top 3 venue shortlist was made up of venues that we loved 100% without any dislikes, after comparing each of them one came out on top but the relity is we would have happily got married in either of our top 3.

I ruled out a fair few venues on the basis of their hideous carpets too!! ?

Every venue we visited could offer a bespoke menu if we wanted so maybe worth asking if that's an option.

• BiscuitBear
    Beginner September 2014
    BiscuitBear ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what you're looking for but have you considered a marquee? That gives you a blank canvas to do whatever you want decoration wise? Or did you mean a venue for your ceremony?

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    JMarieS ·
    • Hide content

I thought the same about carpets- some of the most beautiful rooms ruined by bad carpets. Why do they do it!!

I was really pragmatic about the venue and compromised a lot. That was partly because we'd been looking a long time and finding nothing and I just wanted to fix the date- it felt like we'd been engaged for ages and nothing was planned! Sometimes I wish I'd carried on looking a bit longer because I'm not sure my venue ticks all the boxes.

Def keep looking until you find something that feels right!

Good luck!

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

You know, it's only two weeks since I got married. We had our reception in a hotel near my parents' house. We were in that room (and the garden) for eight hours - and I couldn't tell you what colour the carpet was, and I doubt whether any of our guests could either. Maybe that's because it was inoffensive, or maybe it's because we had other things on our minds and just didn't care about the carpets. The staff were great, the food was fabulous and the garden was beautiful; that's what mattered.

What I'm trying to say is to stay focused on the things that matter - are the staff friendly and competent? Is the food good? Is the place clean and well looked after? Does it have the facilities you want? Can it cater for the number of guests you want? Is it within your budget? Carpets are pretty unimportant in the great scheme of things. If you're booking a year or more in advance they might have changed the carpet by the time of your wedding anyway!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this Smiley smile We were set on our venue from day one, and theres all different rooms / carpets & flooring but I couldn't say I put a lot of thought into it tbh. It was our dream venue & the staff are lovely & the caterers etc are the things that matter. Hope you find something you'll love soon just look around as much as you can Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics