Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

The Sun £9.50 Holidays

10 January, 2012 at 13:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 35

Has anyone ever done one?

My SIL goes twice per year and takes the kids, they have a whale of a time and it costs next to nothing meaning they get an extra 2 holidays per year that they wouldnt usually be able to afford.

H has started to collect the coupons and suggested us going and maybe inviting my sis, her partner and my nephew (if anyone knew the relationship I had with my sister 12 months ago, this is very good progress to be considering volunteering ourselves to go away with them!)

Worth doing or should we just pay extra and go somewhere else?

35 replies

Latest activity by jen_84, 10 January, 2012 at 20:32
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

This.

I stayed in Perranporth (sp). They have a pub on the beach!!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I went to Golden Sands last year and if you take out the fact that it was with my grumpy SIL then it was quite good.

But it does come to more than £9.50 p/p when all the little extras are added in.

I'm collecting for the current offer now, just walked into town to get the paper (Body Magic and all that jazz ?)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Mrminis ex takes the kids on them,they are normally during term time I think,as far as I knoe you don't get to pick specific dates you suggest a few weeks that you can do and they let you know what's free?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

How many tokens do you have to collect? How many copies of the Sun?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Never been on one myself, but to add my opinion - if you've got good company, you'll have a brilliant time. We went to a similar kind of place in Cornwall last year (although paid full price!) and although the place itself was a little bit tacky, we went with two other couples and had an amazing time.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

We've done it four times. Had a great time!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Throughly agree. We have stayed at a variety of Haven type camps for camping weekends with friends, in an "ironic" sense obviously Smiley smile. We essentially treat them as a bar and a place to sleep, don't care about children's clubs/laundries etc. And "the turns" in the bars can be hilarious.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Some parks have entertainment included but other's don't. You have to pay extras for gas and theres the option for linen etc so it can add up a bit it depends what you choose to add.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Not the ones from the Sun but something very similar from the local paper. It cost us something like £50 for a 6 berth caravan in Paignton for 3 nights. We had a lovely time and the caravan park was great.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Good God, no. It would involve having to purchase The Sun for starters. ?

I love a camping holiday, or the odd night in a caravan but I think this would be a step too far for me. Sorry! I suspect it's different if you have kids.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Haha what a lovely sister you are ?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your snobbery is even worse than mine Cricks!?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't worry Cricks, I believe the Daily Mail are running a similar offer?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not snobbery - just fact! The Sun is a terrible paper and I don't want to give any of my hard earned cash to Murdoch!

I prefer holidays where you can make your own entertainment and so camping for the weekend somewhere would be preferable for me - as well as being a similar cost. Snobbery implies I think I'm better than those who go on these holidays - I don't, I just know it's not my thing.

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Ive done them 3 times.

Been to blackpools merton mere and twice to scarbourghs something valley

They were great for us with kids, plenty for them to do etc.

Just note if u are going and u dont upgrade to a caravan with heating then it is FREEZING!

we got a free upgrade at the blackpool one in september as it was during a quiet spell but the twice we went in may we were freezing during the night and i slept with hat and gloves on!

x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

How does it work? Where can you go?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, it was only a joke.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I did this 3 times when I was with first husband (he bought the sun) and child was between 4 and 6 we went Butlins had a great time and saved a fortune

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

You collect 10 (I think) tokens, fill out an application form with a choice of 4 dates and 4 campsites.

Then you send it off with a cheque for, I think £38, and The Sun eventually get back to you with the date & campsite you've been allocated. (This isn't true for everyone, but any time my family and I have done these holidays, we tend to get 2nd or 3rd choice so I would probably be tempted to put your preferred date as your second one). You then have the option to upgrade and buy entertainment passes etc.

Last October I went to Perranporth, Monday to Friday. There were 4 adults, 2 children, we upgraded our caravan and got entertainment tickets and it came in at just over £100 for the whole holiday.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Me and my sister have taken the kids on loads of them, we have had some fab 'extra' holidays.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Yep - that's 2 or 3 more than I'd like to do consecutively.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I don't buy the Scum so wouldn't ever do the deal but I have been on family holidays to Haven etc. I can't say I enjoy the time on site but it is good to use it as a base and then do lots of days out. The evening entertainment is good for people watching. My kids love going on them though so we go nearly every year.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

As Mooey said I would never buy the sun (scouser) so wouldnt do this deal, but the Haven parks are great for kids. We used to spend most of the 6 weeks holidays at the prestatyn one at my aunties one when we were little, a lot of them are based on a beach so great for kids! I wouldnt choose to go now though (as we have no kids!)

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Nothing could ever make me buy The Scum. I'd rather not go away at all if that were my only option.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My brother and his OH took their 3 year old to France using this deal, and I believe they had a fantastic time. And I know my stepmum used to take the kids before she met my Dad as her ex wouldn't take time off to go abroad with them, so this kind of break was perfect for her to go alone on, with her 3 kids.

As Claire said - you have to expect it's not goint to be the Ritz but will be a decent, clean living space as a base for exploring.

I have heard that St Ives Haven camp now has a Spa, so if that was an option, I might even buy the Sun for a chance for a cheap break there.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Never done it before but I'm not one to say no to a cheap holiday. Take it for what it is and make our own fun while we're there. Came home ad OH has bought the sun so thats 1 token collected!!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

We did one a few years ago and it was great. We stayed at a lovely site in Cornwall, right by the beach. We didn't use the facilities for anything other than the actual caravan so can't comment on the entertainment etc. We went out everyday, went sightseeing etc and it was fab. We did everything cheaply - cooked our own meals etc. You don't have to go during term time - there are dates available during Easter holidays and October half term. We've bought the Sun today (only ever buy it for these deals) and will collect the tokens and try to go in October - hoping it means that after the wedding I will still have something to look forward to!

Someone else mentioned about the heating in the caravans - definitely go for a heated one as they said. When we went we did have heating, but in the morning before we switched it on, we couldn't get out of bed until it had warmed up a bit!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics