Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cornflake girl
Beginner August 2007

The Time Traveler's wife

cornflake girl, 7 of February of 2009 at 20:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 25

I was looking at this is WHSmiths today but thought I might be able to get it cheaper online. Whilst browsing I noticed it's being made into a film. Now I'm wondering whether I should read the book or wait for the film (can't find when it's out), or read the book and then get the DVD when it's been on at the cinema (which might be ages away). Those of you that have read it - how good is it and do you know anything about the film?

25 replies

Latest activity by Gigi, 5 of March of 2009 at 17:56
  • ashke_again
    Beginner
    ashke_again ·
    • Hide content

You'll get info here on IMDB (it's great for finding out about future films)

Read the book first, I need to get a new copy as mine is looking a bit tatty and falling apart now! I want to go read it again, couldn't put it down during the summer in 2007 and almost missed a few ends of my archery comp while reading it ?

J

• J
    Beginner September 2008
    Jeannie ·
    • Hide content

You have to read the book first, it's fab!

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

I know nothing about the film, but the book was fabulous. I loved it - it had me sobbing out loud towards the end and I had real problems putting it down. Definitely read the book before seeing the film, I 'm not sure how well it will translate onto the big screen but I will certainly give it a go as I loved the story that much.

• Forrest Grump
    Forrest Grump ·
    • Hide content

I don't know much about the film but I really enjoyed the book. Go get it! I'm worried that I won't enjoy the film half as much.

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

I'd read the book first. I'll watch the film when it comes out but it's hard to see how it can do justice to the book. Also you will have to read it more than once, I certainly missed or didn't understand quite a few bits on my first read. Try your local charity shop, it's often on the shelves in mine.

• cornflake girl
    Beginner August 2007
    cornflake girl ·
    • Hide content

I've found it cheaper on the Waterstones website so I've ordered it.

Just finished Do you remember me? By Sophie Kinsella and really enjoyed that - think it's the best one she's done.

• digitalskittles
    Beginner
    digitalskittles ·
    • Hide content

I don't want to watch the film, I loved the book and I really can't see how the film will be any where near as good. I might wait for hitchers reviews.

• redcherry
    Beginner April 2006
    redcherry ·
    • Hide content

I'm quite looking forward to the film, but I don't expect it to be half as good as the book. It's well worth a read - I've reread it several times and it still makes me cry every time.

• M
    Moglie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too, read it three or four times and I love it, it's just so beautiful.

• Katchoo
    Katchoo ·
    • Hide content

I read about the first 50 pages of the book and just couldn't get into it at all. Does it pick up after that, or is it just not my 'thing'?

• maxiemax
    maxiemax ·
    • Hide content

I am another who loved the book, I was just thinking the other day I must read it again. Not sure whether I will go and see the film I just cannot imagine it translating well to the big screen.

• ashke_again
    Beginner
    ashke_again ·
    • Hide content

I just can't see Eric Bana as Henry, it so doesn't work

• Lalu
    Beginner September 2008
    Lalu ·
    • Hide content

We read it for my bookclub and it really divided option. I absolutely loved the book and there were certain scenes which just broke my heart - I was sobbing like an idiot at the last scene!

Having said that, without exception I have always been disappointed by a film adaption of a book, whereas coming to a book after a film always adds texture and depth. If you are thinking of going to see it at the cinema, save the book for afterwards!

• R
    Beginner
    Rumour ·
    • Hide content

I tend to lurk, but this topic has brought me out! I adore this book. I'm glad you've decided to read it first. I never get emotional whilst reading books, apart from when reading this one. A mate of mine absolutely hated it, so that mirrors what Lalu was saying. Bit of a 'marmite' book, I think. I cannot see me watching the film, if it does indeed transpire. I just loved Henry and Claire too much. I have visions of how they are in my head, and I don't think anyone could live up to how I imagine them to be!

For me, the only book I've read where the character's matched up to how I imagined them, was the Lord Of The Rings [geek icon]

• Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

I loved the book and agree, I can't see how the film could ever live up to it. I will watch it though, out of curiosity.

I always think if you read the book first, you're always disappointed with the film but if you watch the film first, it'll never grab you as much as the book.

• Boxof BaldKittens
    Boxof BaldKittens ·
    • Hide content

I did'nt enjoy the book but made it to the end huffed about how much guff I though it was and then gave it to my friend, who loved it.?

• Melawen
    Beginner January 2007
    Melawen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What Katchoo said - I found it mind numbing!

• Jellicle
    Beginner January 2008
    Jellicle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope. I read to the end despite not enjoying the start, and no, if the start is not your thing, the rest of it won't be.

• wodger_woo
    Beginner March 2007
    wodger_woo ·
    • Hide content

I'm another that just couldn't get into it. i did however read it all but I thought it was rubbish. ?

• Missus Jolly
    Beginner October 2004
    Missus Jolly ·
    • Hide content

I sobbed my socks off reading this book. I won't say why as it would be a bit of a spoiler. A wonderful book.

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

I know this thread is a month old, but I've just finished reading it and feel in mourning for the characters because I miss them and I'm sorry I've finished it. Does that make me tragic or mad? ?

Having clicked on the film preview link, my first thought was, 'why have they cast Clare as a brunette?' Henry loves her red hair so much, he almost has a seperate love affair just with her hair, so Clare HAS to be a red head, I simply can't imagine her any other way.

Plus to me, Gomez is a big burly, blond rugby player type. All wrong I tell you.

• Lalu
    Beginner September 2008
    Lalu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly the reason why I hate seeing a film if I have read the book first - I spend most of my time getting irritated that it doesn't match how I imagined things ?

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

I loved the book, but I know what you mean about doing both.

This is one I would definately read the book though.

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally. As much as I like Daniel Craig as an actor, as Lord Asriel in the Golden Compass, so, so wrong.

• Gigi
    Beginner
    Gigi ·
    • Hide content

I've read it and enjoyed it immensly. However, I am dubious that film version would work.

The only films that I thought did justice to the book were Trainspotting (although book was better) and 1984 with John Hurt.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics