Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner June 2015

The wedding recessional

fiffle, 10 of March of 2014 at 21:28 Posted on Planning 0

Hello! I'm here again with yet another nugget of confusion and indecision ?

My mother-in-law-to-be today mentioned to me about the recessional for after the wedding.

For anyone like me who has no idea what that is, it's when the bride and groom walk back down the isle after the ceremony followed by the wedding party and then by the other members of the congregation, beginning with the bride and grooms parents, who are supposed to walk down brides mother with grooms father, brides father with grooms mother. Now, this is something I have never actually heard of before, nor have I ever seen it done, though I have been to a fair few weddings over the last few years. At the weddings I've been to everyone has pretty much just left in whatever order they choose, and usually managed to end up outside before the bride and groom ready to throw confetti all over them. Though to be fair my family don't really do formal and I will be the first person from my direct family to get married in a church (both my parents remarried, and both my older sisters got married, but all at a registry office).

I'm not sure what my partners family are expecting though, and whether or not they usually do things more formally. Is it common practice to have a formal recessional or just one of those things that some people do and others don't? One awkward thing if I did have a formal recessional though would be the fact that I have a step-father and a step-mother, who are they supposed to walk down the isle with?

So yeah, that's it really, just wondering if any of you have any more of a clue than I do haha

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

In my experience, the main guests file in behind the wedding party with the bride and groom leading. The order of the wedding party tends to work itself out - B&G then Bridesmaids and best man/groomsmen and the parents etc but ti doesn;t have to be set to any forced order other than B&G leading. The TOG will be waiting for you to exit the church. The confetti often comes later.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics