Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mitzi50
Beginner June 2010

They read our banns without us!

Mitzi50, 28 April, 2010 at 08:48 Posted on Planning 0 17

Ive just had an email from the church saying they read our banns last sunday and then will do again this sunday and the sunday after. Am I being silly in being a little annoyed no one told us so we werent there when they read them the first time?

Its annoying too as OH is away this weekend so will miss it.

?

17 replies

Latest activity by Browny, 28 April, 2010 at 20:19
  • The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

We got told when ours will be when we had a meeting with the vicar.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have thought they would need to specifically tell you. Afterall, I'd have thought you'd be going to church every week anyway so would hear them regardless?

• naomiowen
    Beginner August 2010
    naomiowen ·
    • Hide content

Is this something all churches do? im getting married in church but am defo not a church goer and vicar is aware of this and id be pretty miffed if id missed it too!x

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why are you getting married in a church if you don't go hon??

Im not sure what bans are but hope you are able to make it one weekend Smiley smile

xxx

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

The Banns are basically the alternative to on the civil side having your names displayed for a fortnight. The banns are read out so if there's any complaint - e.g. one of the bride and groom are already married - people can protest, so the wedding doesn't go ahead.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what I was thinking. Hence why they shouldn't need to tell you that they're doing it.
    I was brought up Catholic, went to church every week until I was 16. My Dad still goes every week without fail (and I think a little sad i'm not getting married in church). BUt I don't go and my OH isn't Catholic so it doesn't seem right.

Steely - banns are the church equivalent of putting your name on the board at the registrars office for a couple of weeks. So people can object if they want to.

• naomiowen
    Beginner August 2010
    naomiowen ·
    • Hide content

My partner goes and hes always wanted to get married in church, im getting married in church for him

• BonnieLass
    BonnieLass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think thats a lovely thing to do.

Can I just point out that you don't have to go to church every week or at all to be considered a christian? Just because you don't go every week, doesn't mean you don't have a faith & practise it in other ways. End of rant Smiley smile

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Oh ok I understand Smiley smile

Geordie what about having a blessing???

• PennyFarthing
    Beginner
    PennyFarthing ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good post, and not a rant!

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I think it probably depends on the church your getting married at. We had a lovely letter the other week from our church, telling us who would be conducting the service and the dates our bands would be read.

If we hadn't had the letter we wouldnt have known when our n=bands were being read as we are getting married in the place we grew up, but we don't live there now.

As for weather you should attended church to get married in one i think that is a personal choice and may depend on a variety of factors, we are getting married in church because it is important to my OH, As part of that decsion I have taken into considerationwhat it means to get married in church and we will be attending a one day course our church runs about marriage. Have to say I agree with an earlier poster that you shouldnt have to attended the churh every week to justify getting married there.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

This is why i'm getting married on a beach!

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

I guess it just depends on the church then, we only have a temp vicar at the moment so maybe thats why it slipped through, at least we got told in the end and I can go this week.

Geardie, I dont believe that you have to go every sunday to church just because you are a catholic, with out preaching I beleive in god and I want to get married in the eyes of god. Just because I believe in the faith it doesnt mean I have to go to church every week, You can still believe in god with out having to go to church every week.

I do go to church as and when I can, however as I work shift work so I couldnt go every sunday even if I wanted to.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

And Amen to that. (nods)

• itgirlno1
    Beginner June 2010
    itgirlno1 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amen! I go to church every week but I go because I love Jesus and want to get closer to Him, not because I have to. I don't have to work on Sundays but other people in my family do, and they still love Jesus. It doesn't make them any less Christian. Jesus hated religion anyway...He's all about the relationship!

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I have to say that I completely agree that you dont have to go to church every week to get married in one and I dont think its a very Christian thing to say. It doesnt mean you are any less Christian-like.

I am also getting married in a church for my OH as his family are religious and he asked me to. He explained it to me that he wanted me to say my vows in the presence of God as it would mean more to him. I'm not religious so I would have felt weird getting married in a church otherwise, but knowing it means so much to my OH I wouldnt have it any other way.

My OH doesnt go to church regularly but when he was growing up he attended regularly, was in the Choir, rang the bells, was confirmed there etc until he went to uni and after that we've moved out of the area. He doesnt attend anymore. That doesnt mean he doesnt have a right to get married in that church or that he isnt Christian.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics