Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2014

Think we've finally decided on a first dance song...what do you think?

beckimas, 11 of March of 2014 at 16:28 Posted on Planning 0 3

So the fiancé and I have been searching high and low for a first dance song we both love...came close a while back but still had doubts. But the other day oh came home from work and said 'listen to this song I heard today'. He didn't really say much else, I was busy making little ones dinner so said 'oh go on, just play it'. It started and I just froze, it gave me goosebumps and I looked up at oh and he was just smiling at me. It was a lovely moment and we both said there and then that this was the song.

It's Nirvana by Sam Smith. heres the link if you want to listen to it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv679SxziHQ I love love love it!! And even more so that the oh discovered it and played it to me Smiley smile

We are planning on, not a full on choreographed dance, but we're going to have a few little moves added after about the first minute of just swaying lol, just a couple of turns and maybe a cheesy romantic dip. Anybody know how to work out what style of dance should be danced to this song so I can look at some videos, if not we will just wing it lol.

Becki x

3 replies

Latest activity by beckimas, 13 of March of 2014 at 12:07
  • smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

Oh. My. God. I think I just did a little squeal when I saw that song. I LOVE this song. It's so simple and powerful and just wonderful to listen to. Excellent choice!!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrstobe2014 ·
    • Hide content

Awwww, beautiful song!

No idea about the dancing though, we are just going to improvise ours haha!

xxx

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

Hello! Lovely song!

The rhythm / tempo of the song does not exactly fit any strict tempo ballroom dance as it is but what I tend to do is borrow ideas from different dances and then adjust the timing / styling to fit the music. So if you're not having lessons I suggest you think of some moves that you have seen that you like then just try and practise them with the beat and see if you can get them to feel comfortable in time with the song.

Some things I would perhaps try - a standard box step with a slow-quick-quick rhythm which you can then turn to the left or to the right. Or you could just sway in hold and then occasionally get your partner to lead an underarm turn by raising his left arm and turning you towards your right side (assuming you are in standard 'ballroom' style hold) and then when you come back together you could do a little 'dip'. I wouldn't dip too often though - save it for the end or particular highlights in the song.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want to ask anything else!

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get the reply notifications...thanks guys and thanks Forever Wedding dance for your tips. I do have a dance background but not in this style but I should be able to figure something out. Think we will do what you suggested and don't worry, was only thinking 1 dip lol if any at all Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics