Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Selenalee69
Beginner April 2013

Thinking of getting married at a Sandals resort-any advice?

Selenalee69, 10 of April of 2012 at 14:20 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 1 11

Hello, we really fancy the idea of a wedding on a beach...Sandals seemed like a good idea as they offer a free wedding package if you stay for more than 6 days so we could combine our wedding and honeymoon. The problem is I don't know where to start and can hardly find any information from people who have actually done this. Firstly I don't know whether to plump for a place and book it,then invite people or whether to ask people first...I don't know if any of our friends or family will want to come,or whether they can afford it. It is difficult to get prices...we haven't set a date yet. Can anyone help with any advice/experiences they have had?

thanks !

11 replies

Latest activity by ramkarthick2011, 17 of April of 2012 at 07:54
  • Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I think first of all you need to ask the people who you really want at the wedding if they are prepared to A- travel and B- pay to go?

Secondly, make sure that you do lots of research into the resort, both on trip advisor and other wedding forums. My sister got married in Antigua, not at a Sandals though. She didn't want a sandals as they apparantly hold lots of weddings in one day, and it feels a bit like a conveyor( sp) belt. Where she got married they guarantee you will be the only wedding that day.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I went to a Sandals wedding a few years ago. The couple had booked it and basically said to all of their friends and family "if you want to come, these are the dates we're going". There were no invitations etc and we just went - the only guests apart from the groom's parents! We didn't end up staying at the same resort as them, as we wanted to give them a bit of privacy and didn't want to feel like we all had to spend the whole holiday together. Worked out brilliantly.

You'll need to decide whether guests are important to you. This couple were both young, so their friends couldn't afford to come, she wasn't close to her parents, so they didn't come, but they were fine with that. They'd have been equally as happy if 50 people came or if nobody came. If guests are important to you, I'd find out first who can come and then work around that. We're getting married in Australia and we knew that we'd have at least 15 or so people, just from parents and brothers/sisters and knew of a few more who'd come, so we booked a venue with a small room and a big room, knowing we could decide on the room a bit closer to the time. We sent Save the Dates out two years in advance, asking for informal RSVPs.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply. I know our parents won't come,it would be nice to have an informal wedding with some friends joining us. You are right, I think we need to choose a destination and work from there-to be honest,I know it sounds silly,I'm more interested in the honeymoon than the actual wedding itself and that's why Sandals appealed as it looked so luxurious ! I don't want to be on a conveyor belt, that sounds quite stressful. Did you attend your sister's wedding in Antigua?

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,thanks for your reply...that's how I feel about guests too...50 people or none is ok by me as we were going to hold a reception on our return anyway. I am an only child and both sets of parents are highly unlikely to travel,so at the most we would get my partners brother & sister and their spouses and maybe half a dozen friends. We didn't want the traditional business with cake and a sit down meal and all that...it all seems a bit daunting !save the dates is a good idea.

• MrsONeill2B
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsONeill2B ·
    • Hide content

Me and OH have decided not to invite any guests to out wedding hopefully in St Lucia 2014, we would be happy with none or 50 guests but have both aways wanted to get married abroad and the most important guests to us would be parents and my grandparents, neither of which would travel so we have decided to 'go it alone'! We aren't inviting any guests and if any one just turns up we will be really unhappy with them as this is not hat we want and it is our day at the end of it, as nice of a gesture as they might think it would be! I think do what you and OH want, it is YOUR day no one else's! x

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mrs.O neill 2b, your comments have made me feel better :-) I was starting to feel selfish about wanting to go abroad so we started looking into a wedding in England to please other people. When we worked out how much money it would cost (which we just don't have) I put my foot down,as there is no way in hell I will get into debt for it. We both decided that we would rather spend the money on having a wonderful honeymoon,with a simple ceremony on the beach at sunset perhaps with a few close friends if they can come,but if they can't we are quite happy to be alone :-)

• P
    Patlia ·
    • Hide content

It's joy to know you, wishing the nicest things always for you, not only today, but all the year through because you are really a joy to know.

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

Hi Selenalee69, we have booked our wedding at Sandals, Emerald Bay for December this year. We also decided that we wanted to be alone as this a a second marriage for both of us and really did not want the fuss. OH's parenst wanted to come but as both my parents have passed away we did not think it "fair" IYSWIM. We are going to have a party when we get back for all the people that would have been invited had it been in the UK - this way everyone is a winner! I think that the "no children" policy and the luxurious surroundings romaced me into choosing the Bahamas. I have been to Antuiga, Greneda, Cuba,Mauritius, OH had last honeymon in the Maldives, we did not fancy Jamaica, St Lucia either. We did have the same dilemma (sp?) so decided on the date first and then what would be good at that time of year weather wise. Seeing as we wanted 12.12.12 we looked through loads and loads of travel guides. I think also Sandals were doing a promotion that got us a few discounts and upgrades that we took advantage of.

Good luck with your planning and let us know what you decide.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Flumpkin (hee hee,love the name ! ) :-) . We were looking at the Bahamas,but are now leaning towards St.Lucia...it's very difficult trying to guage the costs involved. Can I be rude and ask what the process was once you had decided on your date and what costs were involved once you contacted Sandals? x we really wanted to go for one of the luxurious rooms,but prices all seem to be coming out from £5000 upwards and I have no idea what costs go on top for everything else!

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

My OH's pet name for me!! I called Sandals direct and spoke to the everso helpful girls there. I was on the phone for hours asking her to price up this and that. Changing my mind and then changing it back again. I think the longer you think about it the more difficult it becomes. The Bahamas is a bit more pricey that some of the others but when we looked at what a wedding would cost at home (with all the luxury) we thought "what the hec" it is just for us and we are spending the money for us. Don't forget it is "all about you". We also decided to go with the butler option which did hike the price up somewhat. So included in the price, Standard wedding package, butler, luxury accommodation, all your food and premium drink - so much choice to, flights, we managed to get a package that allows you in to the lounge at all airports. Approx £10k and all we have paid is a £300 deposit. You then have to send copies of your documents to them and then you have a phone call with the resort wedding coordinator (ours is Weds this week) to discuss all of your wedding details. I would give them a ring and chat to them - they really are very helpful and not pushy at all. Let us know what you decide.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice Flumpkin, it sounds as if you'll have a fabulous time ! At least I know now what sort of cost is involved if we go all-out for the best rooms etc. We're not in any hurry to book it as we don't have a particular date that we want,but are aiming for april/may next year .x

• ramkarthick2011
    Beginner September 2013
    ramkarthick2011 ·
    • Hide content

Amazing place.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics