Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2010

Thistle Centrepieces

babysarahx, 9 November, 2009 at 18:41 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hello Ladies,

I'm looking for some of your wonderful creative inspritations please! We're getting married in Scotland and I'm struggling to find some ideas for centre pieces. The wedding is kinda traditionally Scottish with some modern twists and the room is dark wooden panneling with high ceilings and a huge fireplace! There will be three big round tables and one long top table. Our flowers are thistles and cream roses and I'd like to incoropate them somehow. They look great in my bouquet, but I'm struggling to find a nice table display. In tall vases the flowers look a bit short, and I'm not sure what to fill the vases with (apart from water obviously!!) And I can't come up with anything creative for a smaller more modern display...

Any ideas greatfully received!

Cheers, Sarah

5 replies

Latest activity by MRichard, 17 May, 2012 at 21:18
  • Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Hi sarah what about something like this in a short vase?

or like this with a candle in the middle?

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I know what you mean about the flowers being short for a tall display. The general un-written rule is that what ever height vase you haev the flowers/display should be equal to that height, or as close as.

If you want modern you could get tall straight vases & fill them up with rose & thistle heads. It could include some of the lovely spikey leaves to.

This is the only pic I can find at the mo. Obviously not with bits of wood (well I suppose you could!), but all just heads of blooms. They don't have to be quite so tightly packed, if you have the foliage etc it could be more spaced out.

Or if you wanted a low arrangement you could have small vases, and again just use the heads. A bit like below.

Have you got a florist yet? They should be able to help you & give you the correct advice & information for you.

Hope this helps

Katie

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    babysarahx ·
    • Hide content

Ah I knew this was the place to come!

Bailey Wailey - Love the candle things. They are the same thistle on the invitations that I'm making so may try and make something like that with the left over ones to put round the candles on the top table.

Katie - I actually think you've solved my problem! LOVE the tall round vase with flowers heads and foliage in it. I'm thinking fairy lights too for a little wow factor? The leaves will look great in that and maybe even a couple of wooden bits too. Will def be trying that one out - thank you so much!

My MIL2B's friend is doing flowers for us. I've not met with her yet but seen stuff she's done before and she's very good Smiley smile She's just said she'll do what ever I want tho and I wasn't sure what I wanted! lol!

Thanks

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

Oh great. And yes fairy lights would work ok, because ou'd be able to hide the battery pack in there somewhere, or cover it with a bit of tartan :-). You can either do them so the flowers are either closely packed together, or more spaced out. And if you are having the lights, thistle's & twigs etc you could almost say it's Scotland in a vase! Just need some bag pipes & it'd be complete!

Glad I could help! You'll have to show us some pictures of them when you've mocked them up!

K.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I was trying to find a pic for you but couldn't - what about a tall slim vase with either a single or a few long stem thistles in it? Maybe having the vase on a mirrored plate with some tealights and crystals?

• M
    Beginner December 2012
    MRichard ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I've just come across this older post, unfortunately I cannot see the photos, does anyone still have them to repost for me? I'm looking at a similar theme.

Does anyone know a good supplier for large thistle heads?

Thanks,
    Marie

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics